• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is dead...

Gorilla

Furthermore, I would like to propose we reinstate worshipping the sun. Clearly this is the only path to enlightenment. It also promises a fantastic Armageddon.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Gorilla said:
Do you honestly think we're it - the end all in the ladder that is evolution ...
No, that is not evolution. Damn it, folks, read before you talk. The information is readily and freely available. There is simply no justification for this kind of ignorance.

Evolution is not a ladder. Evolution is not progress.

Gorilla

Perhaps I should clarify for you.

"Ladder of evolution" was used as a metaphor, if you have half a brain you know exactly what I mean. Perhaps you would like me to use the term PHYLOGENETIC TREE to clarify. Instead of dissecting my style of writing you might realize my point:
From our current classification of "how the world works", we are until proven otherwise the alpha species period. We have no natural predators and our intelligence is unmatchable. However, from this most deduct that we cannot evolve further and our brain power is at the peak for nature's possibilities. I am pointing out that this humanistic point of view is quite naive. In the future I will make sure to post things in plain, straightforward English so that if you have a critique to post you can say something valid.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Gorilla said:
Perhaps you would like me to use the term PHYLOGENETIC TREE to clarify.
Only if you use it properly, and without shouting.

Gorilla said:
However, from this most deduct that we cannot evolve further and our brain power is at the peak for nature's possibilities.
Most who? What does evolution have to do with "peak for nature's possibilities" - evolution is not progress up some ladder towards an imagined 'peak of nature's possibilities'. This does not look promising.

Gorilla said:
I am pointing out that this humanistic point of view is quite naive.
You have yet to point out anything traceable to a "humanistic point of view".

Gorilla said:
In the future I will make sure to post things in plain, straightforward English so that if you have a critique to post you can say something valid.
I made two observations: (1) that evolution is not a ladder, and (2) that evolution is not progress. Which did you find invalid?

(Q)

There are only two requirements for evolution:

A. Production of Diversity
B. Natural Selection

(A) is a random process that entirely conforms to natural laws, thermodynamics and probability statistics. (B) is a process of 'culling' of the fit, the failure to reproduce. All forms of life on Earth have been produced from these two processes.

Ceridwen018

Why wouldn't they be? Perhaps as of now, conditions do not warrant that changes need to occur, but humans definately have the potential to evolve, should the right situation arise.

Gorilla

Do you think evolution could result in a species that possesses a higher level of consciousness than humans?

Yes, I think it could. Why?

*edit* Actually, I'm having some second thoughts...what do you mean by 'higher consciousness'? I think evolution could result in a species that is more intelligent than we are, but the words 'higher consciousness' border on implying the supernatural.

Gorilla

Do you think a higher level of intelligence is related to a more clear and accurate perception of reality (higher level of consciousness)?
-- Rank a worm's ability to perceive reality from 1 to 10
-- Rank a lion's ability to perceive reality from 1 to 10

Ceridwen018

That's an interesting thought. Humans are by far more intelligent than worms and lions, yet often humans have a tougher time distinguishing reality from fanatsy (aka, religion). Worms and lions obviously do not have the ability to comprehend fantasy, but it seems that knowledge of fantasy merely distracts thought from reality. Perhaps the simple functions of a lion's brain make it easier for it to 'percieve' reality--there's not a whole lot of extra junk to confuse it.

I think a worm's and a lion's ability to percieve reality is generally the same, even though lions are more intelligent. Lions have more to perceive than worms, who seem to just deal with dirt, but the way both animals 'look at the world' (something to be survived) is basically the same, I think...

The more intelligent you get, and the more technology you attain, the more 'reality' becomes available for perception. For instance, we know of space, and lions and worms do not. However, I don't think our ability to perceive that reality which is made known to us is any better than a lion or a worm. Dirt is dirt, sky is sky...animals seem to have this down pretty solidly!

Gorilla

Is there a difference between instinct and conscious choice?

Does the worm look at the sky and have the ability to process what it is? Is the worm even aware of itself?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Gorilla said:
Do you think evolution could result in a species that possesses a higher level of consciousness than humans?
  • Evolution could result in some species having its penis growing out of its head.
  • Evolution could result in a purple unicorn, albeit without magical powers.
  • Evolution could result in a duckbilled platypus - oops, that already happened.
It's a leading question leading nowhere. Evolution is not progress.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Ceridwen018 said:
Perhaps as of now, conditions do not warrant that changes need to occur, but humans definately have the potential to evolve, should the right situation arise.
Potential has nothing to do with it. Evolution is descent with modification resulting from a change in allele frequency over time.

Point*of*life

arabian_knight1 said:
Exactly that's just my point it's gotta be someone who does all this greeks thought about it (they know that there must be something that's controling lightnings

nature can't creat itself
infact scientists have concluded that an atom need milions and milions of years to come in existence and you're tryin' to tell me that nature created us !!

peace upon all those who pray for guidance
Exactly,
Science didn 't create us, God created Science, we only discover science... which leds us to better understand the creator's magnificent abilities. Unless someone here believes that "people" created science?

-peace