• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is Dangerous

Thief

Rogue Theologian
not doubt, many of you agree...but....

I don't think He is human...in mind and heart

He seems to have a noted attitude about ....how to live

and though we don't hear much from Him....when we do...
the message can be harsh

perhaps living in the spirit....is difficult

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The concept of god I believe has been very dangerous, and if there is a god he certainty isn't human, how could a monster like him ever understand humans ?.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

the message can be harsh

God is dangerous, but God knows he's dangerous, so he keeps his distance. God in heaven, us on earth. For example:

For the LORD had said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites, 'You are a stiff-necked people. If I were to go with you even for a moment, I might destroy you. Now take off your ornaments and I will decide what to do with you.'"

Bird123

the message can be harsh

God not human? As I see it, we are Spiritual beings in our true nature. God is a Spiritual Being. God is just not trapped in a physical body. Sounds like we are all pretty close. I guess it all depends how one wants to define human.

Has God really come to anyone with an attitude on how to live? Isn't it mankind who attempts control? Further, what harsh message has God told you? It would be interesting to know.

I would think freedom from a physical body would be better. One would be free of so many limitations.

If we look around at the universe and this world, it takes real Intelligence to be able to create all this and make it work so well. Since, we are dealing with such high intelligence, perhaps one must stretch their mind to be able to really Understand. Can you see Method to the Madness??

Thief

Rogue Theologian
i read somewhere.....
do not fear anyone that would harm the flesh
rather you should fear Him....that can rend the soul

makes sense to me

Skwim

Veteran Member
Except, God didn't create evil, God allows us choice we created evil. The first murder was committed by man.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

That is the 23 book of the old testament. Quite along way from the 1st murder in the first Book.

Here's something else Creationists only believe the world is Several thousand years old according to the Bible yet Humans have been around at least 100,000 years so the 90,000 years that the God of the bible didn't exist who was responsible for evil.

GoodbyeDave

As has already been pointed out, the Supreme Being created us and a world for us to live in, so I'd say that makes her benevolent.

As for her giving harsh messages, what evidence is there for any messages at all? The Bible claims that certain people received a message from God, but did they? In the case of Moses, it's very unlikely that such a man ever existed! The same applies to the founders of Zoroastrianism, Islam, and the Baha'i faith. A lot of people are said to have received messages, but they are often contradictory. Nowadays, when some-one claims a message from God, we provide psychiatric care...

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Except, God didn't create evil, God allows us choice we created evil.
This is not really true.
All of us who understand viruses, tsunamis, and hurricanes know it.

And frankly, if God didn't want us to behave like killer apes with tool making skills He could create us without the instincts that served to spread our genes in the wild.
But there is no such God, and we can all see that.
Tom

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I interpret scripture I don't quote it word for word. I did read Isaiah for fun and I wouldn't interpret it that way. Early on God is saying man is evil. I believe that evil = man in that sentence. The prophets interpret what they heard and saw and we are interpreting there interpretation. Its not a word for word or sentence to sentence quote. You can of course read Isaiah yourself and see if you still believe the same thing.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
This is not really true.
All of us who understand viruses, tsunamis, and hurricanes know it.

And frankly, if God didn't want us to behave like killer apes with tool making skills He could create us without the instincts that served to spread our genes in the wild.
But there is no such God, and we can all see that.
Tom

It is true if God exists and you are rewarded with heaven if you are good and die because of a hurricane or tsunamis or virus and get to heaven what is the evil in nature. Those that are left behind the living see it as evil because they a stuck in the day to day of life. The left behind are more worried about tomorrow than they are eternity. I have never understood why people cry at a funeral. They will all say that the deceased is in a better place, so they either don't believe it or are to selfish to understand.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

the message can be harsh

So far, God seems to be as dangerous as nothing at all. ;)

Skwim

Veteran Member
I interpret scripture I don't quote it word for word. I did read Isaiah for fun and I wouldn't interpret it that way.
Of course you wouldn't. Your needs dictate how you read and and interpret the Bible. It's called cherry picking.

Early on God is saying man is evil. I believe that evil = man in that sentence.
So if you read that man is a mammal this would mean that mammal = man? Again, a form of cherry picking: you're picking an unorthodox, to say nothing of a being logically invalid, way to read scripture so as to suit your needs.

The prophets interpret what they heard and saw and we are interpreting there interpretation.
To suit your needs rather than to divine their intended meaning. Is that what you do with the whole Bible, disregard the intended message in favor of making its words fit your theology? Reminds me of this now famous cartoon.

sciencevscreationism2.png

Its not a word for word or sentence to sentence quote. You can of course read Isaiah yourself and see if you still believe the same thing.
Sure. The verse reads as follows,

Parsing it a bit we get, as I've already indicated, "I (the Lord) create evil." Now, I'm not going to bother pointing out its grammatical structure because if you can't understand its simple object-subject-verb structure on its own, you won't understand an explanation of it. In any case, If you're inputting some meaning to the words other than their common meanings I'm curious as to what they are and why you've chosen what you have.