• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is a Woman

Manoah

When I belonged to a new believer's discipleship group back in 1991, I had posed the question of feminism to the leader, who told me a few memorable things:

1. God created man AND woman in "his" image; in other words, it takes both genders to reflect God.

2. Descriptions of the Holy Spirit allude to the divine feminine: the dove, the hovering over the waters of creation like a hen incubating eggs, the "Shekinah" (presence of God) being a feminine form in the Hebrew.

3. El Shadai, an early name of God in Genesis has been translated as "Mountain Dwelling" as well as "Breasted One."

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
If I should have put this in the religious debates forum I apologize. I am not asking for debates or arguments just the opinions of others.

I've always felt like God is a woman. In my faith she is also a lesbian. I am coming back to Christianity after not practicing for a few years and I think Christianity was hard for me originally was because the god of the Mormon faith is so overwhelmingly masculine. (I was raised Mormon.)

A large part of femininity is the whole aspect of creation of new life, so to me it just makes sense that the creator god would be a woman. She created us, she is our mother. Mary is her wife and Jesus is their son.

Do any other Christians feel this way?

Just because God is called the Father or Him in many context doesn't mean God is man..
Also, does not mean God is a woman.. I love the Arianna Grande song as much as the next but lets not let it limit our thinking!
God is life. God is the force into which we all exist through.. yin and yang. No gender. God is everything.
Way beyond our simple human mindset of existing.

Watchmen

Premium Member
If I should have put this in the religious debates forum I apologize. I am not asking for debates or arguments just the opinions of others.

I've always felt like God is a woman. In my faith she is also a lesbian. I am coming back to Christianity after not practicing for a few years and I think Christianity was hard for me originally was because the god of the Mormon faith is so overwhelmingly masculine. (I was raised Mormon.)

A large part of femininity is the whole aspect of creation of new life, so to me it just makes sense that the creator god would be a woman. She created us, she is our mother. Mary is her wife and Jesus is their son.

God is incredibly masculine throughout most of Christianity, not just Mormonism. Mormons, unlike others Christians, do believe in a Heavenly Mother as well.

As for my personal beliefs, if God exists then God is likely genderless - we just attribute masculinity to God because of historic traditions and language usage.

Unguru

I am a Sikh nice to meet you

What is the point? God cannot be either gender, that would contradict God being God. Descriptions and analogies can only be taken as those and not literally when warned otherwise.
If you're going by Christianity, then by taking this view you are directly contradicting the commandment "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" by treating God as a person.

That is Christianity anyway, in Sikhi we agree with this view. God cannot be a gender, that's ludicrous.

Vaziri

Islamic Philosopher

God is not male nor female. God simply is...
Beggingless and Endless consciousness. Sexuality is a spectrum from within creation not applicable to the source itself.