• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is a Woman

uns4

If I should have put this in the religious debates forum I apologize. I am not asking for debates or arguments just the opinions of others.

I've always felt like God is a woman. In my faith she is also a lesbian. I am coming back to Christianity after not practicing for a few years and I think Christianity was hard for me originally was because the god of the Mormon faith is so overwhelmingly masculine. (I was raised Mormon.)

A large part of femininity is the whole aspect of creation of new life, so to me it just makes sense that the creator god would be a woman. She created us, she is our mother. Mary is her wife and Jesus is their son.

Do any other Christians feel this way?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
If I should have put this in the religious debates forum I apologize. I am not asking for debates or arguments just the opinions of others.

I've always felt like God is a woman. In my faith she is also a lesbian. I am coming back to Christianity after not practicing for a few years and I think Christianity was hard for me originally was because the god of the Mormon faith is so overwhelmingly masculine. (I was raised Mormon.)

A large part of femininity is the whole aspect of creation of new life, so to me it just makes sense that the creator god would be a woman. She created us, she is our mother. Mary is her wife and Jesus is their son.

There is another thread related to this one about Sweden officially proclaiming God as gender neutral. Which is understandable to an extent as God is not a human and therefore does not have primary or secondary sex characteristics. Its good for the debaters.

Whether God is actually feminine or masculine does not effect my faith, because I don't care if God is male or female, nor do I care what ethnicity Jesus was, as this is also in question nowadays. These characteristics are only important to sexist and racist who find importance in these trivial characteristics.

So I ponder if your just looking for a cognitive bias by wanting God to be female? You certainly make a good case in evaluating that God could be feminine being the creator of life etc. I can even agree with it to some extent.

danieldemol

Premium Member
It sounds to me like you are attached to the name, but not the history of Christianity. You could call it reconstructionist Christianity and see if it attracts a following

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I would say God can be expressed equally as both feminine and masculine, as well as neither. Whatever you find you can relate to, go for it! It's all about relating ourselves to what we are beyond distinctions.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it is not a good idea to separate out the feminine. People are male and female, and that causes many problems.

I sometimes feel that a vengeful goddess waits for me to accidentally do anything wrong to any female so I may be punished, not entirely unlike the hero in Homer's Odyssey. Despite that I am monotheist or panentheist.

I grew up charismatic, and my parents were fairly equal. Mom was the homemaker, and dad struggled to pay for things and to learn how to stay involved with his children. They never argued in front of us, and we never saw our dad assert himself over her. She'd submit, and he'd defer. It was terrible, because I'd try to get permission to do something and one of them would say "Its Ok with me if its Ok with ___ (your mom/your dad)." So then I'd have to go check with the other one.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For future reference, the "Abrahamic Religions DIR" has within it a number of sub-forums including a Christianity DIR. If you wish to dialogue with Christians, this Christianity DIR might be a better place to post. Take care.

Jeremiah Ames

Your post is quite interesting.
Definitely food for thought, and I like thinking.
So here’s what I think:

I assume you’re a follower of Christ. (You said you’re coming back to Christianity, and you call yourself Abrahamic.). If you read Christ’s words, he always speaks to and speaks of, the Father. So I wonder what your thoughts are on that? My own opinion, is that Jesus refers to God as Father in order to communicate an idea to his human followers. I don’t think God is male in the way humans view it. But then, I don’t think God is female either. And even though Father may not be the perfect word, since there is no perfect human word to describe God, Jesus had to use the best available, considering his audience. Which to me, means that if you call God by the name Mother, why should anyone have a problem with that? It’s the best word in your mind to convey what God feels like to you.
As long as you have an actual relationship with God, and you are aware of that relationship, and you are growing that relationship, then the name you use is irrelevant. IMO

arthra

Baha'i
Baha'is use a masculine reference to God simply as a convention of language. One of the succinct statements follows:

"Baha’u’llah taught that there is only one God. He stated that “God in His Essence and in His own Self hath ever been unseen, inaccessible, and unknowable.” – Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, p. 118. The Baha’i teachings describe God as neither male nor female, although the limitations and conventions of our language and many others have led us to refer to Him in the masculine."

How the Baha'i Writings Describe God

Apologes

For a Christian there is really no basis for a belief in a female God. All references to God are masculine and the incarnation itself had to do with a man. You could say these were just tools for its time (since men were valued more) but this only leaves you with uncertainty regarding Gods gender and pure baseless speculations.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

I am no Muslim but in the Qur'an it says in the following:

[He is] Creator of the heavens and the earth. He has made for you from yourselves, mates, and among the cattle, mates; He multiplies you thereby. There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the Hearing, the Seeing.

Surah 42:11

God's true nature is incomprehensible. Our human perception and experiences are nothing more than that and should not be inferred on God. God is not a lesbian because God is not a human entity nor anything comparable in this universe he created.

I think this is why Jews and Muslims refer to God as HAshem or Allah to denote a non masculine or feminine quality because of stuff like this. God is simply the Lord of all existence and is beyond any human ascription.

Dantedeven

Our Lord is and will always remain devoid of gender.
Yet His manifestations may present itself as any gender that He wishes.

Our Lord is described as having hundreds of thousands of varied divine and multicolored forms. A single universal form that is everything—moving and nonmoving—completely, in one place. Whatever you now desire to see and whatever you may want to see in the future, all are present within the Lord. Within that universal form are unlimited mouths, unlimited eyes, unlimited minds and unlimited wonderful visions. Decorated with many celestial ornaments and bore many divine upraised weapons. Celestial garlands and garments, and many divine scents. The Lord is wondrous, brilliant, unlimited, all-expanding. There are no words available in mortal tongue that can accurately describe the Lord's universal form. As if hundreds of thousands of suns were to rise at once into the sky, surely their radiance might not even resemble a slight glimple of the effulgence of the Lord in His universal form. For the universal form of the Lord are the unlimited expansions of every universe that ever is, situated in one place although divided into many, many thousands. And as seconds tick on the form shall be increasingly difficult to see because of its glaring effulgence which is spreading on all sides, like the blazing fire resembling the immeasurable radiance of countless suns, adorned with various crowns, clubs and discs. It shall blind, deafen and stupify, and in presence of this greatness one can not do anything else but prostrate fully in awe and fear.

Our Lord is the supreme primal objective. The ultimate resting place of all this universe and that which is alike has to offer in both presense and mind. Inexhaustible, and the oldest of everything that came after him. The maintainer of the eternal, without origin, middle or end. Unlimited glory. Numberless arms, and both sun and moon are the Lords eyes. And blazing fire will be coming forth from the Lords mouth, burning this entire universe by it's own radiance. The Lord is one, yet spread throughout the sky and the planets and all space between. Being notified of all that is at all times. Programmer of reality, the Lord's rules are the only rules that matter. And matter is energy of the Lord. Even Satan shall bow upon seeing God's wondrous and terrible form, all the planetary systems are perturbed and disturbed at seeing Him. With its many faces, eyes, arms, thighs, legs, and bellies and many terrible teeth; and everything that percieves it is disturbed and so am I. Therefor i honor the all-pervading One that keeps all that is in place. WIth It's many radiant colors touching the endless skies, And gaping mouths with great glowing eyes. Any mortal mind shall be perturbed by fear and can no longer maintain steadiness or equilibrium of mind. For to witness the Lord of Lords, the refuge of the worlds. No mortal man shall keep it's balance. In all directions the witness is bewildered. And as the many waves of our Earth's rivers flow into the ocean, so will everything that ever was enter blazing into one of our God's many mouths. So fierce is our Lord's final form, for it is the primal Lord. All wants to know about Him, or what His mission is. But know that Time, He is, the great destroyer of all worlds. For our Lord is both beyond all space and time. So fear the Lord and love eachother. For if you do not you shall return. The Lord shall judge everyone and thus also us and all our distant brothers, and to a fitting place in space and time we shall return.

Dantedeven

I have come back to my previous beliefs, for it was revealed to me that indeed; there was a female 'God'. And it is the reason why we call earth: Mother.

God is a women? No, wonder she ignores my prayers.

Jokes aside. I always believed that God is a spirit and doesn't have a gender. Back in Jesus times he had to appear as a Man to be taken serious, but I can see God appearing as a women in today times.

Dantedeven

There was a "wise man" that said the following to me. And this happenned today, randomly. I do not know the guy, I was sitting outside in a park when this random indian guy sits next to me and the first thing he said was:

"God is the Father, for He has shaped you. But the mother is a second god, for she birthes us all."

I was intruiged and literally had no idea who this guy was or what was going on but i talked with him and he said some good stuff like:

"God has shaped you with working hands, working feet, a working heart and working kidneys. The Lord even provided you with air to breathe.
Therefore, go forth and work with them, your hands and feet, in name of the Lord. And protect your heart and kidneys too, in name of the Lord."

And the final one that was awesome:

"Kim-Jong Un may have shaken Trump's hand with a smile. He may get a bit of money for this, but i tell you: every man has a heart. Surely, i can smile and shake your hand, while in my heart i hate you. It is not difficult to do. That man knows nothing but war and famine, and it is hidden in his heart. This is what the Lord knows."

TurkeyOnRye

God is a lesbian?...Lol. Come on, seriously? I don't think it makes any sense to characterize God as one gender or another, let alone having a distinct sexual orientation. It seems like taking one's spiritual inclinations and backpedaling into frivolous gender-political preoccupations. If one must conceptualize God through a gendered lens--which I don't recommend--it makes the most sense to attribute both male and female characteristics. Women create new life, yes, but it is only possible with the admission of the transformative element provided by the opposite sex (Mythologically speaking, that transformative element is often symbolized as transcendent knowledge or action.). That's the whole problem with gendering God. The genders are co-dependent of each other and incomplete on their own. God is a transcendent force or state of being, so it makes no sense to characterize God as one or the other. In addition, God is not just a creator, but also a destroyer, a typically masculinized personification. So, again, an exclusively feminine gendering is inadequate.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Is this an analogy?
I'm not sure what you mean. We believe that God is our "Heavenly Father." He is the father of our spirits, which we believe were created prior to our conception. Our earthly parents are the father and mother of our physical bodies. Unlike other Christians, we believe that our "Heavenly Father" has a female counterpart, who would be our "Heavenly Mother." Other than that she exists, we have very little information on her. We don't, in other words, pray to her or worship her like we do our Heavenly Father, but we believe that some day we will be privileged to know both of them personally.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I'm not sure what you mean. We believe that God is our "Heavenly Father." He is the father of our spirits, which we believe were created prior to our conception. Our earthly parents are the father and mother of our physical bodies. Unlike other Christians, we believe that our "Heavenly Father" has a female counterpart, who would be our "Heavenly Mother." Other than that she exists, we have very little information on her. We don't, in other words, pray to her or worship her like we do our Heavenly Father, but we believe that some day we will be privileged to know both of them personally.

We’ll often times I take father and mother to be analogous to a deity that is caring for a subordinate creature like a mother/father to a child but not an actual parent. It’s difficult to perceive an incorporeal deity like God to have human qualities considering that our moral state is temporal therefore we are unlike God who is infinite. Our nature and God’s nature is different.

It’s hard to perceive God as a he or she, considering the billions of planets and solar systems much more ancient than our own and to think God being infinite, would take upon itself a form in the likeness of a human gender despite any form in the universe or even inconceivable to think God would take corporeal form at all.

I believe the idea of she, he, her, him are human conceptions based on sexual categorization. I believe to limit God to two genders in itself limits God considering there are endless parts (if any) to an infinite being. I think, and this is just my philosophical opinion, it is safer to believe God is conceptually genderless and formless, because we ourselves never seen God nor know what sexual parts God is composed of.

I see God as a Creator, a designer, an authoritarian as well as a caretaker of the universe.