• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God in mormonism

Orontes

Master of the Horse
Why don't we use the Bible terminology of a deposit? Ephesians 1 says the Spirit comes to a believer as a deposit for the day of redemption. The Holy Spirit cannot be "returned" and indwells the believer permanently. He cannot go to Hell with the "ex-believer" so assurance... is sure.

Or put another way. I can smoke a cigarette than later regret doing so. The regret cannot make me move backward through time to remove the nicotine miraculously from my lungs. I can be a drug addict and do meth and then later, choose to stop, and still have physical fallout from a former addiction.

I trusted Christ for salvation years ago. I'm going to Heaven as the recipient of salvation even if I decide I want to go to Hell later.

Ephesians 1:13-14 doesn't solve the problem. "Arrabon" which is the Koine Greek for deposit is simply a down payment. It is a down payment for an inheritance pointing toward redemption. Inheritances in the Classical World: whether we are looking at a Greco-Roman or Jewish model could and were removable. Disinheritance was not uncommon. This speaks to the point: contra your notion the Holy Spirit cannot be returned, one can and could lose what was given. In a moral context this is vital. There is no cheap grace or salvation. To the degree you assert one can't get off your salvation bus, to that same degree your position is a repudiation of morality and must be considered an evil system. This in turn would be an indictment of the source of that system, which means God stands rightly condemned. This is the absurdity your position forces you into. Much easier to simply admit that salvation is a moral system and morality entails free will: one can get on or off the bus. This is what repentance is all about.

Orontes

Master of the Horse
As I mentioned earlier, I do not think the new Christian theories with their new interpretations have any advantage over the earliest Christian beliefs with the earliest interpretations.
Clear
τωσεσεσεω

Master Billiards position sacrifices rationality for ideological assertion. It also suffers from being an invention of late Renaissance Latin Christendom derived from an overt hostility to the Papacy and Ecclesia Catholica. This is a pity.

Last edited:

Orontes

Master of the Horse
Paul cannot remember whom he has baptized in Corinth beyond Crispus, Gaius, and the house of Stephanas because Jesus sent him to prioritize the gospel, for the message of the cross is the power of God. I would think that implies that baptism has limited power.

I think this means Paul couldn't remember who all he had baptized. It says nothing about the theological potency of baptism. You're adding a meaning not included in the text.

I'd sum my case as perfection is either continually maintained or it is imperfection.

This doesn't follow logically. It's also problematic Biblically, note:

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man. Luke 2:52​

Clear

Premium Member
1) Billiardsball, in response to my request for context, meaning and clarification of his theory offers :" NIV - Eph 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. I'm unsure how "a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance" needs further clarification...?" (Post # 199)

I understand how you might think your theory does not need further "clarification". However, to avoid “drive-by” interpretations and lazy scholarship, your personal, modern interpretation of an ancient text DOES need clarification and analysis since we are trying to determine how your theory might apply to ancient historical Christian speech and what the ancient Christian text actually meant to ancient Christian speakers and Christian hearers in their context and their interpretation. For example, You claimed to have training in greek and you claim familiarity with religious history and specifically you claim that you understand Paul and his meanings. It is good, therefore, to put this claim to expertise to good use when examining the early Christian worldview. The NA-26 of Ephesians 1:13 & 14 is show below :

13 : Εν ω και υμεις ακοθσαντες τον λογον της αλεθειας το ευαγγελιον της σωτηριας υμων εν ω και πιστευσαντες εσφραγισθητε τω πνευματι της επαγγελιας τω αγιω.
14 : Ο εστιν αρραβων της κληρονομιας ημων εις απολυτρωσιν της περιποιησεως εις επαινον της δοξης αυτου.

I believe I understand why Doug Moo of the NIV group rendered the text as he does in the bible his group created, but you claim to know greek and history. Why are YOU using “marked in him with a seal” for εσφραγισθητε? This specific English rendering creates a non-original redundant combination of both the verb and noun forms as well as adding the spacial term “in”, to this ancient term. It's not what the greek text actually says. It’s as though Doug Moos group of translators were not sure what specific contextual meaning to apply and so were trying to “cover all the bases” . What specifically do you think it meant to be “sealed” in this specific instance of the use of koine to the ancient Christians when this word was both used and heard in their ancient historical context? Are you somehow assuming that there was no ancient concept for “unsealing” for the ancient audience (especially since there are so many everyday examples that the very opposite was true)?

You also quoted, “the promised Holy Spirit”, yet the greek doesn’t say this. It reads : “τω πνευματι της επαγγελιας τω αγιω”. In one form, the spirit is being promised and in the other form, the spirit is doing the promising. Given the obvious difference in koine grammar, why do you think the ancient Christians who used the term “τω πνευματι της επαγγελιας τω αγιω” (Eph 1:13), would have interpreted it as you have, rather than how it actually reads in the greek? If you know greek, why then offer us this english version instead of a more correct rendering?

You offered us the text : “… Holy Spirit who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance…”. However, the Greek (NA-26) reads : “Ο εστιν αρραβων της κληρονομιας” with nouns but no verb other than "εστιν". (If you know greek, why are you adding a non-existent verb?). Also, If you are going to use “αρραβων” as a “deposit guaranteeing our inheritance”, why do you think YOUR use and interpretation of this term as an “unbreakable expectation” is more correct than how the ancient Christians themselves used the term, since, for them it was certainly NOT referring to an unbreakable and absolute guarantee in any normal usage? As Orontes pointed out, disinheritance was common as well as individuals who refused inheritances was common. I have also pointed this out in the past. Thus your own example undermines your theological theory in this respect.

It doesn’t make sense to change so many meanings and actual usage of ancient terms and then to assume your modern usage is more accurate than the ancients who actually used the terms and gave the terms their contextual meanings.

2) Regarding Billiardballs theory that individuals who may have momentarily believed in Jesus as their savior but then came to defy and denounce God; and to commit immoral acts such as the torture and rape of children are still guaranteed a heavenly reward
RE : Billiardsballs' Theory : " I trusted Christ for salvation years ago. I'm going to Heaven as the recipient of salvation even if I decide I want to go to Hell later. " (Post # 196)

Orontes :
This modern theory of God, rewarding the evil with heaven
I very much agree with your points regarding the amoral/immoral nature of Billiardsballs' modern Christian Theory of this new "easy believism" where Billiardsball need not repent, and Billiardsball need not trust in God, and Billiardsball need not even try to obey God, and Billiardsball can do all manner of despicable evil such as torture and raping small children and other indescribably evil acts, yet then tell himself that he will still be placed in heaven by a just God. It feels like the type of promise Satan would make : : " It is ok to believe that you will go to heaven, as long a you DO what I, satan, want you you to do, and DO NOT DO what God wants you to do. " In fact, I'll even show you how to re-interpret scriptures so as to support this belief so you can justify (i.e. "make appear just") this belief."

The theory rewards despicably evil individuals with heaven
The theory that defiant, evil, and completely unrepentant Christian versions of unrepentant Jeffrey Dahmers, Hitlers, Stalins and others who may continue to hate, despise and defy God, yet still be guaranteed heaven if they had a moment in their youth when they sincerely believed in Jesus as a personal savior, but then quickly dropped this temporary belief to live a life of evil and destruction and oppression and terror will get to then enter heaven WITH all of their faults is a silly modern theory that is not without it's terrible moral effects.

The theory cannot reward the original evil person (or spirit) but must switch it to another person
Either the theory is stuck with this irrational and illogical and unjust situation where it rewards the original evil person with free will, or there must be some sort of a "bait and switch" built in where God must, against their evil and defiant free will, remove the original evil personal character and personality within that person, and place an entirely different personality and character in them, and then save this new character and personality with it's different will, that is not, in fact, the old one with it's evil characteristics. This is not a saving of the original person at all. A different personal will and character is created and THAT person is saved. One then falls into multiple philosophers complaints, for example, : Why God did not simply place the second person with it's "good" spirit into the world instead of the first one that could not be saved? Why not give the original person all knowledge and experience without causing immense suffering? etc, etc.

If one saves the original evil person, then the concept of what heaven is like, must change
If heaven is to be inhabited by thousands of oppressive and evil individuals, then it cannot be a place of eternal Joy and eternal Harmony.

As I mentioned earlier, I do not think the new Christian theories with their new interpretations have any advantage over the earliest Christian beliefs with the earliest interpretations.

Billiardsball responded : " I cannot become a Jeffrey Dahmer nor can they after salvation. " (post # 199)

And yet we have many, many examples of individuals who have done just this thing you say they cannot do. In fact, perhaps Jeffrey Dahmer himself "accepted Christ" as his savior when younger and then later became the monster and perhaps he was truly converted to being a monster. In your theory, he still is assured heaven as a moral monster.

I worked in a prison for several years. Multiple prisoners could relate their history of having sincerely relied on and having had faith in Jesus as their savior when they were young and went on to become immoral killers, murderers, rapists, oppressors, and many abandoned faith in God and his son, and defied, disobeyed and came to curse God as they aged.

Many of these prisoners were just like you when they were younger. They were "saved" and bound for heaven, before becoming despicable and immoral individuals who did despicable moral acts, and still have perfectly committed desires to continue in such immoral paths. Some of them hated God, renounced him, defied him and dishonored him.

Your theory that one can defy and hate God, can torture and rape children and do many, many despicable acts, yet are "heaven-bound" and guaranteed of being in heaven would be viewed as a satanic ruse and complete heresy in early christian worldviews. And, the desire to justify such individuals as "heaven-bound" feels like a very a strange justification for a Christian to make.

Clear
τωσιτζφιω

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Ephesians 1:13-14 doesn't solve the problem. "Arrabon" which is the Koine Greek for deposit is simply a down payment. It is a down payment for an inheritance pointing toward redemption. Inheritances in the Classical World: whether we are looking at a Greco-Roman or Jewish model could and were removable. Disinheritance was not uncommon. This speaks to the point: contra your notion the Holy Spirit cannot be returned, one can and could lose what was given. In a moral context this is vital. There is no cheap grace or salvation. To the degree you assert one can't get off your salvation bus, to that same degree your position is a repudiation of morality and must be considered an evil system. This in turn would be an indictment of the source of that system, which means God stands rightly condemned. This is the absurdity your position forces you into. Much easier to simply admit that salvation is a moral system and morality entails free will: one can get on or off the bus. This is what repentance is all about.

Morality is important, of course. I believe we agreed that morality comes from work/effort, whether law-bound or not of the Mosaic Law. An issue I have, though:

Salvation is of grace, not works. Romans 5. Ephesians 2.

I wasn't saved, I didn't become "okay" by works or morality. And the Bible speaks plainly that no one is moral or that good. Romans 3.

Also, morality and choice may exist independently from one another. Whether I choose to stay on a bus for the duration of one stop is different than my being not moral enough to earn Heaven without Christ's atoning death and resurrection.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Master Billiards position sacrifices rationality for ideological assertion. It also suffers from being an invention of late Renaissance Latin Christendom derived from an overt hostility to the Papacy and Ecclesia Catholica. This is a pity.

I would never sacrifice logic or rational thinking for dogma. Never. I'm here to learn, and I am learning!

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I think this means Paul couldn't remember who all he had baptized. It says nothing about the theological potency of baptism. You're adding a meaning not included in the text.

This doesn't follow logically. It's also problematic Biblically, note:

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man. Luke 2:52​

Of course I'm adding a meaning not in the literal text:

"If baptism saves, you'd assume Paul would carry a baptistery around with him and not forget who was saved (baptized) and who was lost (unbaptized)." The Bible is not just a literal text but a living one, and the skeptic can read it and be unmoved without rumination/mediation/inspiration/revelation of meaning.

Jesus is infinite God, one with the Father IMHO, and not just because two infinite gods cannot exist. But I think you agree (?) that Jesus had two natures, divine and human? The human one grew in wisdom and stature, sure. Stop reading after the birth narratives in the gospels and there isn't that much to shout about quite yet.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
1) Billiardsball, in response to my request for context, meaning and clarification of his theory offers :" NIV - Eph 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. I'm unsure how "a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance" needs further clarification...?" (Post # 199)

I understand how you might think your theory does not need further "clarification". However, to avoid “drive-by” interpretations and lazy scholarship, your personal, modern interpretation of an ancient text DOES need clarification and analysis since we are trying to determine how your theory might apply to ancient historical Christian speech and what the ancient Christian text actually meant to ancient Christian speakers and Christian hearers in their context and their interpretation. For example, You claimed to have training in greek and you claim familiarity with religious history and specifically you claim that you understand Paul and his meanings. It is good, therefore, to put this claim to expertise to good use when examining the early Christian worldview. The NA-26 of Ephesians 1:13 & 14 is show below :

13 : Εν ω και υμεις ακοθσαντες τον λογον της αλεθειας το ευαγγελιον της σωτηριας υμων εν ω και πιστευσαντες εσφραγισθητε τω πνευματι της επαγγελιας τω αγιω.
14 : Ο εστιν αρραβων της κληρονομιας ημων εις απολυτρωσιν της περιποιησεως εις επαινον της δοξης αυτου.

I believe I understand why Doug Moo of the NIV group rendered the text as he does in the bible his group created, but you claim to know greek and history. Why are YOU using “marked in him with a seal” for εσφραγισθητε? This specific English rendering creates a non-original redundant combination of both the verb and noun forms as well as adding the spacial term “in”, to this ancient term. It's not what the greek text actually says. It’s as though Doug Moos group of translators were not sure what specific contextual meaning to apply and so were trying to “cover all the bases” . What specifically do you think it meant to be “sealed” in this specific instance of the use of koine to the ancient Christians when this word was both used and heard in their ancient historical context? Are you somehow assuming that there was no ancient concept for “unsealing” for the ancient audience (especially since there are so many everyday examples that the very opposite was true)?

You also quoted, “the promised Holy Spirit”, yet the greek doesn’t say this. It reads : “τω πνευματι της επαγγελιας τω αγιω”. In one form, the spirit is being promised and in the other form, the spirit is doing the promising. Given the obvious difference in koine grammar, why do you think the ancient Christians who used the term “τω πνευματι της επαγγελιας τω αγιω” (Eph 1:13), would have interpreted it as you have, rather than how it actually reads in the greek? If you know greek, why then offer us this english version instead of a more correct rendering?

You offered us the text : “… Holy Spirit who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance…”. However, the Greek (NA-26) reads : “Ο εστιν αρραβων της κληρονομιας” with nouns but no verb other than "εστιν". (If you know greek, why are you adding a non-existent verb?). Also, If you are going to use “αρραβων” as a “deposit guaranteeing our inheritance”, why do you think YOUR use and interpretation of this term as an “unbreakable expectation” is more correct than how the ancient Christians themselves used the term, since, for them it was certainly NOT referring to an unbreakable and absolute guarantee in any normal usage? As Orontes pointed out, disinheritance was common as well as individuals who refused inheritances was common. I have also pointed this out in the past. Thus your own example undermines your theological theory in this respect.

It doesn’t make sense to change so many meanings and actual usage of ancient terms and then to assume your modern usage is more accurate than the ancients who actually used the terms and gave the terms their contextual meanings.

2) Regarding Billiardballs theory that individuals who may have momentarily believed in Jesus as their savior but then came to defy and denounce God; and to commit immoral acts such as the torture and rape of children are still guaranteed a heavenly reward

Billiardsball responded : " I cannot become a Jeffrey Dahmer nor can they after salvation. " (post # 199)

And yet we have many, many examples of individuals who have done just this thing you say they cannot do. In fact, perhaps Jeffrey Dahmer himself "accepted Christ" as his savior when younger and then later became the monster and perhaps he was truly converted to being a monster. In your theory, he still is assured heaven as a moral monster.

I worked in a prison for several years. Multiple prisoners could relate their history of having sincerely relied on and having had faith in Jesus as their savior when they were young and went on to become immoral killers, murderers, rapists, oppressors, and many abandoned faith in God and his son, and defied, disobeyed and came to curse God as they aged.

Many of these prisoners were just like you when they were younger. They were "saved" and bound for heaven, before becoming despicable and immoral individuals who did despicable moral acts, and still have perfectly committed desires to continue in such immoral paths. Some of them hated God, renounced him, defied him and dishonored him.

Your theory that one can defy and hate God, can torture and rape children and do many, many despicable acts, yet are "heaven-bound" and guaranteed of being in heaven would be viewed as a satanic ruse and complete heresy in early christian worldviews. And, the desire to justify such individuals as "heaven-bound" feels like a very a strange justification for a Christian to make.

Clear
τωσιτζφιω

Clear,

Because of your (accurate!) cautions to not paraphrase text, I quoted a version of the Bible without alteration. I'm sorry I chose the wrong or a paraphrase version. Certainly, the NIV is evolving and you should submit your findings to the publishers/translators.

Certainly I can say something more direct, like "I stand on John 3:16, whoever trusts shall never perish [in the future perish, has total assurance] but then I believe there will be discussion that I don't understand the meaning of trust and how I must continually trust, right?

As to Christian killers, there are two issues:

1. How do you know they truly trusted Jesus rather than mumble some meaningless prayer? Jesus spoke of meaningless prayers, even to the correct theistic god. I have friends and family ranging from atheist to born again who have been in prison or worked in prisons, and they tell me it's rather popular there to profess religion, especially on parole review days.

2. I believe I've shared on this thread my understanding of salvation? No? When you know you are saved, you express gratitude more so than perversion. I have no doubt that real Christians will do right much of the time. I also have no doubt that no Christian is a perfect person, even after conversion and many years of devotions and study. Do you agree? And if so, may we all agree that Christians are to be moral people? Of course we agree!

I'm only saying that I was drowning, and rescued in a boat, and that my natural inclination was not to kick and punch Jesus when he returned me to shore, but to praise and thank Him. So, going forward, I try to be mindful of that salvation, and try to do good works, however, when I do them, Jesus doesn't return into the past to rescue me again by boat, nor is He crucified again, nor am I saved by works and not by grace.

Nor am I accusing LDS members of having a different understanding, because I don't still know what you believe! I would not say today that LD saints do many good works to make assurance of heavenly reward, since I think we think different things about heaven? I cannot say LD saints believe they are saved by Jesus and by works, since Orontes said something like (from my faulty memory, no doubt) "we believe in nine variations of what you call atonement". Yet, I spoke with an LDS elder last week, we had a great talk, and he said, "Jesus Christ has saved both of us, and I'm here to serve Him."

I don't even know quite what we're discussing, because it's been a long thread now of "Billiards Ball, you sacrifice logic for ideology" and "BB, you have modernist interpretations but disagree with ancient sources" and if I had a clue what LDS members believe/are supposed to believe about salvation I'd be able to ask better questions. You have succeeded in confusing me... or I have confused myself... sorry!

Orontes

Master of the Horse
Morality is important, of course. I believe we agreed that morality comes from work/effort, whether law-bound or not of the Mosaic Law. An issue I have, though:

Salvation is of grace, not works. Romans 5. Ephesians 2.

I wasn't saved, I didn't become "okay" by works or morality. And the Bible speaks plainly that no one is moral or that good. Romans 3.

Also, morality and choice may exist independently from one another. Whether I choose to stay on a bus for the duration of one stop is different than my being not moral enough to earn Heaven without Christ's atoning death and resurrection.

I think you are confusing the issue some. No one is arguing one can earn their way to heaven. Christ remains the indispensable element of the equation. Man left to his own devices fails. Grace remains the arche of the Plan of Salvation and the concluding force: Deity created the Plan whereby men could progress and His grace is there for those would be accept it. Acceptance is not a single act, like signing a contract, but a process where one takes into themselves the Divine nature over time. This is the process of sanctification. The issue therefore, is whether one is an active participant in their own salvation (assuming salvation means path to heaven, which is what I think your sense is). You stance has been that this bus to salvation (heaven) is something you joined. This means your will was an essential part of the process, but once on the bus, your will disappears. You have become an automaton or slave. This is the problem and the absurdity.

Per scriptural language 'no one is good' etc. It's unwise to build a doctrinal position on a couple scattered verses. For example,

And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man...Job 1:8​

This one verse stands as a contradiction to your statement. The larger point is the scriptures are not philosophical texts. It's multiple writers were not parsing their language in a coordinated and precise way. Rather, each text gathers it's meaning within the cultural milieu in which it was written. The Book of Romans is a perfect example. It is a quintessentially Greco-Roman text. It's entire posture is Classical rhetoric which makes perfect sense given its intended audience. The notion that men are not moral is not an absolutist stance, but reflects the Classical notion of a bygone Golden Age. The time demigods and heroes walked the earth has passed, and what remains is far less than what was. This sentiment is what Paul plays off of and what he uses to present Christ.

Morality and choice can exist independently, there can be choice absent morality, but not the other way around: choice is essential to morality. One is a subset of the other. My point on the bus analogy is about fundamental moral positioning: whether one is a moral being or not. This issue, as I note at the beginning of this post, is not about earning one's way to heaven. It is about whether one is forced to heaven, whether one is a participant in the process or no.

Orontes

Master of the Horse
Of course I'm adding a meaning not in the literal text:

"If baptism saves, you'd assume Paul would carry a baptistery around with him and not forget who was saved (baptized) and who was lost (unbaptized)." The Bible is not just a literal text but a living one, and the skeptic can read it and be unmoved without rumination/mediation/inspiration/revelation of meaning.

Jesus is infinite God, one with the Father IMHO, and not just because two infinite gods cannot exist. But I think you agree (?) that Jesus had two natures, divine and human? The human one grew in wisdom and stature, sure. Stop reading after the birth narratives in the gospels and there isn't that much to shout about quite yet.

I don't know what you mean by the Bible is a living text. The normal use of that phrasing means 'subject to new interpretation'. This is how it is used when applied to U.S. Constitutional theory. If that is what you believe about the Bible, then there is no core meaning and all interpretations become equally valid. The text then has no value.

Per baptism: the ancients used rivers, or anywhere one could be submerged. Baptism is considered an essential ordinance. This is the whole point of John 3.

Mormonism rejects the conclusions of the Fourth Ecumenical Council of Chalcedon. It is a sloppy and strained attempt to merge the Greek logic of perfection with Hebrew theology. Christ did not and does not have two natures. The whole notion makes no sense from a rational perspective. Mormonism rejects all the ecumenical councils. They did not have authority to speak on matters divine. A random assembly of bishops or an interjecting Roman Emperor do not trump or constitute prophets.

Orontes

Master of the Horse
Clear,
Nor am I accusing LDS members of having a different understanding, because I don't still know what you believe! I would not say today that LD saints do many good works to make assurance of heavenly reward, since I think we think different things about heaven? I cannot say LDS saints believe they are saved by Jesus and by works, since Orontes said something like (from my faulty memory, no doubt) "we believe in nine variations of what you call atonement". Yet, I spoke with an LDS elder last week, we had a great talk, and he said, "Jesus Christ has saved both of us, and I'm here to serve Him."

I don't even know quite what we're discussing, because it's been a long thread now of "Billiards Ball, you sacrifice logic for ideology" and "BB, you have modernist interpretations but disagree with ancient sources" and if I had a clue what LDS members believe/are supposed to believe about salvation I'd be able to ask better questions. You have succeeded in confusing me... or I have confused myself... sorry!

I can understand if you get confused. The thread is long and you are engaging different people. To review:

My engagement began by asking two questions. They were:

1) Why do you conflate perfect and sinless?
2) If Jesus makes one perfect (am I right you assume this is a sudden change of status?): how is that done? If perfection is a moral category, and morality necessarily entails the free choices of the subject, how can another make one perfect?

Your answer came by and large for a general Reformed Tradition perspective. This led to charges of anachronism from both Clear and myself.

You and I discussed atonement theories and your penal substitution model. I argued it was flawed because it violated the notion that the guilty should not go unpunished and the innocent ought not to suffer.

During this phase of the discussion, I mentioned I was familiar with at least seven different atonement models . This does not mean I believe in seven different atonement theories, simply I'm familiar with that many from my studies of larger Christian theology​

Our discussion then moved to a focus on morality where I put forward the following syllogism:

1) God is good
2) Men must be like God to be saved (per your post #85)
3) Then, men must be good to be saved.

I tried to summarize where we were at that point with the following from post #95

Your embrace of penal substitution atonement remains both irrational and immoral.
Your adopted hermeneutic is contrived, and therefore contra the very tradition that constructed the Bible (undercutting your Biblicist title)
Your notion that sinlessness constitutes perfection is to confuse necessity and sufficiency. Being without sin is necessary to be perfect, but does not alone determine perfection. An acorn is without sin, but it is not perfect.

From this point, the discussion turned to my asking if one can be forced to heaven against their will, based on your salvation bus to heaven analogy. I asked if one can get off the bus?

Thereafter, our discussion has revolved around morality and how it fits into your belief system. I have asserted that a moral system requires choice and therefore it is impossible to claim a guaranteed salvation to heaven model and have it be moral.

Does that help?

Clear

Premium Member

Billiardsball, (Post # 199)
In response to a request for context, meaning and clarification of his theory offers : " NIV - Eph 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. I'm unsure how "a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance" needs further clarification...?" (Post # 199)

Clear responded (post # 204) " I understand how you might think your theory does not need further "clarification". However, to avoid “drive-by” interpretations and lazy scholarship, your personal, modern interpretation of an ancient text DOES need clarification and analysis since we are trying to determine how your theory might apply to ancient historical Christian speech and what the ancient Christian text actually meant to ancient Christian speakers and Christian hearers in their context and their interpretation. For example, You claimed to have training in greek and you claim familiarity with religious history and specifically you claim that you understand Paul and his meanings. It is good, therefore, to put this claim to expertise to good use when examining the early Christian worldview. The NA-26 of Ephesians 1:13 & 14 is show below :

It doesn’t make sense to change so many meanings and actual usage of ancient terms and then to assume your modern usage is more accurate than the ancients who actually used the terms and gave the terms their contextual meanings. "

Billiardsball responded (Post # 208) : "Because of your (accurate!) cautions to not paraphrase text, I quoted a version of the Bible without alteration. I'm sorry I chose the wrong or a paraphrase version. Certainly, the NIV is evolving and you should submit your findings to the publishers/translators.

Certainly I can say something more direct, like "I stand on John 3:16, whoever trusts shall never perish [in the future perish, has total assurance] but then I believe there will be discussion that I don't understand the meaning of trust and how I must continually trust, right?
"
END QUOTES

Billiardsball ,

As I said in my response to your interpretation and use of 1 Eph 1:13-14 in support of your theory, our goal should be to AVOID “drive-by” interpretations and lazy scholarship.

Changing the subject WITHOUT clarifying and analyzing your use of these verses IS lazy scholarship and does NOT serve to clarify and analyze your use (or abuse) of these verses in support of your theory. Neither does it answer the questions you were asked.

You claimed to know greek, history and to have special understanding of Paul. If you really DO have these special skills that you claimed to have, then USE them. I and other readers are still waiting for your answers to the questions I asked you in post # 204 …

τωακσεδρω

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Orontes,

I don’t understand what prevents God from regarding Job as perfect. My case is he regards all saved people as perfect. That would include the extraordinarily God-ward and upright Job.
I find that the essential point of John 3 is that the new birth is salvific, not that baptism is as essential ordinance. Nicodemus understood that Jesus was not speaking of something he readily understood (John’s baptism, human birth, etc.). However, I apologize for taking this discussion on a tangent. Although I believe differently than LDS regarding the necessity of baptism, I don’t think salvation rests on it specifically.

Regarding punishment and innocence, I could not quite call the concept that Jesus was an innocent substitute who undertook others’ punishment as anachronistic. Jesus was punished for my sin, so I may suffer loss of reward as a saved person while still being saved. I’m punished or rewarded for post-salvation works while not losing salvation itself. He took death upon Himself, the ultimate curse and tang of sin. I’m having trouble thinking of any church leader in any tradition over the millennia digressing from this point without being accused of heresy, whether an ancient or modern transgressor. How do you interpret Isaiah 53?

Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him;
He has put Him to grief.
When You make His soul an offering for sin,
He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days,
And the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand.

11 He shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied.
By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many,
For He shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great,
And He shall divide the spoil with the strong,
Because He poured out His soul unto death,
And He was numbered with the transgressors,
And He bore the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Billiardsball, (Post # 199)
In response to a request for context, meaning and clarification of his theory offers : " NIV - Eph 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. I'm unsure how "a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance" needs further clarification...?" (Post # 199)

Clear responded (post # 204) " I understand how you might think your theory does not need further "clarification". However, to avoid “drive-by” interpretations and lazy scholarship, your personal, modern interpretation of an ancient text DOES need clarification and analysis since we are trying to determine how your theory might apply to ancient historical Christian speech and what the ancient Christian text actually meant to ancient Christian speakers and Christian hearers in their context and their interpretation. For example, You claimed to have training in greek and you claim familiarity with religious history and specifically you claim that you understand Paul and his meanings. It is good, therefore, to put this claim to expertise to good use when examining the early Christian worldview. The NA-26 of Ephesians 1:13 & 14 is show below :

It doesn’t make sense to change so many meanings and actual usage of ancient terms and then to assume your modern usage is more accurate than the ancients who actually used the terms and gave the terms their contextual meanings. "

Billiardsball responded (Post # 208) : "Because of your (accurate!) cautions to not paraphrase text, I quoted a version of the Bible without alteration. I'm sorry I chose the wrong or a paraphrase version. Certainly, the NIV is evolving and you should submit your findings to the publishers/translators.

"
END QUOTES

Billiardsball ,

As I said in my response to your interpretation and use of 1 Eph 1:13-14 in support of your theory, our goal should be to AVOID “drive-by” interpretations and lazy scholarship.

Changing the subject WITHOUT clarifying and analyzing your use of these verses IS lazy scholarship and does NOT serve to clarify and analyze your use (or abuse) of these verses in support of your theory. Neither does it answer the questions you were asked.

You claimed to know greek, history and to have special understanding of Paul. If you really DO have these special skills that you claimed to have, then USE them. I and other readers are still waiting for your answers to the questions I asked you in post # 204 …

τωακσεδρω

Clear, if I spoke to my LDS friends the way you are speaking to me in this post, and the context was the same, spiritual knowledge, they would say, "I'm ending this conversation because it isn't fruitful or peaceful." They would literally walk away and end our discussion.

I did not claim to have a unique or special understanding of Paul. I do claim to have a different understanding of Paul. That his epistles are inerrant. My hermeneutics system includes this understanding.

On a personal note, I don't appreciate your accusations of "lazy scholarship". I will continue to try and be patient with you, and I ask the same of you with me. That would include things like not demanding I answer each and every point you make as if I owe you something. I will no longer discuss the Bible with you in Greek or English if you use terms like "drive-by, lazy scholarship" of same. How long would I remain on this sub forum if I told you, "You don't understand the LDS viewpoint nor do you understand the original context of the LDS framers and their contemporaries. You are using canards rather than scholarship in interpreting and applying the Book of Mormon." I would NEVER speak to you this way on this forum, even were those statements true.

I'm a Jew, and you've basically told me I don't understand Judaism in earlier posts. Are you actually an LDS member? Because most of the LDS active members I've known are nice people. Stop it.

Clear

Premium Member
Billiardball said : “ I did not claim to have a unique or special understanding of Paul. “

Billiardsball, I apologize if I misunderstood your many, many claims. However, In post # 26, to underscore credibility, you claimed : “as a Messianic Jew, I know Paul's words “ (in the context of claiming that you understood Paul’s teachings on “other gods”). If you meant you memorized Pauls words rather than understood Pauls words you should have explained this. You claimed a background in history claiming : “ I have more than a passing acquaintance with pre- and post-exilic thought.” (#26), in #83 you introduced your circumcision as evidence you understood Judaism (how circumcision at a “prominent synagogue” gave you understanding, you didn’t explain). You claimed to have lived “ancient Jewish ways” (#102), you claim to have a year of “ancient greek studies” and a “Bachelor’s degree in religion.”

While YOUR point in making these claims is to create credibility underlying your theories, MY point has been that it is NOT enough to simply have a background in greek or history or to "be circumcised", but one must USE the scholastic historical principles one has learned. IF you are going to claim scholarship, then you must USE the tools and the training you claim to have.

IF you are going to claim to know ancient greek and ancient Judeo-Christianity, AND, you are going to create theological theories regarding historical themes, then you have no right to become angry or offended when asked to use greek and historical principles in support of your theories. Supporting your theories using these tools IS part and parcel with religious scholasticism.

You claimed that Ephesians 1:13-14 supports your theory
that once one believes in Jesus and accepts him as their savior, they are then “saved” (though you haven’t yet defined “saved”) and will automatically go to heaven, regardless of how despicable and immoral their subsequent lives become; regardless of defying and rejecting the God who then forces them to BE saved. “I'm going to Heaven as the recipient of salvation even if I decide I want to go to Hell later. “ (Billiardsball, post # 196).

If you are going to create such a theory, and attempt to use Ephesians 1:13-14 to support your theory, then you have no right to be frustrated or angry if others want to examine these verses to see if they actually DO support your theory, or if you are misunderstanding and misusing scriptures to support an incorrect notion.

To have it pointed out that you do not understand these verses, or and are miss-using biblical text to create your theory is NOT a “bad thing” or a thing to become angry about. You should feel some satisfaction in discovery of the truth rather than become angry to be confronted by this discovery. The next scholastic step is to examine the text to see what meaning it might have rather than to sidestep the problem it creates for your theory and try to mine another bit of biblical text to see if it has anything good to say for your theory.

This is what I mean by trying to avoid “lazy scholarship” and avoiding “drive-by interpretation” regarding biblical text and this criticism applies to ANYONE, if they do this things (myself included.

Having said this, we are still left with the questions I asked in post #204”, unanswered. On second look; using your background in greek and history, what did these words in Ephesians 1:13-14 actually mean to the individuals at the time they were spoken and in their historical context?

For example : you used αρραβων as “a deposit guaranteeing”.
However, your greek should tell you that this is not a verb but a noun and your “Jewishness” should remind you that this word is a Hebraism, ערבנ and since the vowels are tsere, patach, cholem vav respectively, then the word is pronounced “arabon” in both Hebrew and greek. In Hebrew the word is a “pledge” and in this context, it is a pledge made as part of a covenant between two (or more) individuals. It carried this same meaning over, into the greek usage.

In earliest koine, it referred to “earnest money” given in business agreements. For example, in the Papyri P Par 58.14 (of ii b.c.), a woman was selling a cow and received 1000 drachmas as “αραβωνα” (the word was spelt both with one “r” or two “r’s”). Demonstrating similar usage, P Lond 143.13 (97 a.d.) has a receipt of 160 drachmas as the remainder of an amount of 200 drachmas as earnest money. P Fay 91.14 (99 a.d.) has “…16 drachmae of silver as unexceptional earnest-money…” ( …αργυριου δραχ[μας] δεκα εξ αρραβονα αναποριφον…”) P Oxy II. 299.2f (of late i a.d.) gave us a note “...regarding Lampon, the mouse-catcher. I paid him for you as earnest money S drachmae in order that he may catch the mice while they are with young…” (... Λαμπωνι μυοθηρευτη εδωκα αυτω δια σου αραβωνα (δραχμας) η ινα μυοθηρευσει εντοκα,...) .

Many, many, many examples of this useage are seen in the earliest Papyri containing everyday koine greek. In P Grenf 11. 67.17ff (of 237 a.d.) certain dancing girls received a certain number of drachmas in preparation for their dance in a village festival. “…υπερ αραβων ος [τη τ]ιμη ελλογουμεν[ο]υ,...” / “…by way of earnest-money to be reckoned in the price.”

In all such cases, the vernacular usage implies that a part is given in advance of full bestowal later. However, the implication is that IF the party given earnest money does NOT fulfill their part of the business deal, they are NOT guaranteed full payment.

This is also true of the words when later used as “the betrothed bride” in modern greek. (a strange linguistic “hold over” from the ancient custom of purchasing a wife…). “ ν αρροβωνα” is still the word used for “the engagement ring”. In all cases, even that of marriage, this concept of earnest as a partial guarantee was retracted if one partner in a covenant or business deal did not remain true to the covenant, or did not fulfill their obligation to the other. Thus, Mary, the mother of Jesus, who was “betrothed” to Joseph, was in danger of being “put away” by Joseph when it was presumed she had not remained faithful to Joseph DESPITE her betrothal.

Your use of this word to indicate an absolute guarantee of salvation is simply incorrect usage of this term and would not have had your meaning to the ancients who actually used the term and were the ones who gave it it’s meaning.

The same points can be made regarding your use of either verb or noun forms of “sealing” or “to seal” (σφραγιζω / σφραγις, etc).

There are many, many, many examples from early Papyri, demonstrating the normal usage of these terms. In P Oxy VI 932.6 (late ii a.d.) a merchant said “…αν ερχη αφες αρταβας εξ ις τους σακκους σφραγισας λαχανοσπερμου ινα προχισροι ωσι…” / “….if you come, take out six artabae of vegetable-seed, sealing it in the sacks in order that they may be ready…” (moulton).

As the linguist Deissmann explained, when Paul uses καρπον σφραγιζεσθαι in Roman 15:25, one is to understand that the Apostle is using the term to mean that all the proper steps had been taken regarding the collection. “If the fruit is sealed; then everything is in order : the sealing is the last thing that must be done prior to delivery.” (Deissmann). In P Hib I. 39:15 (265 b.c.) , a Papyrus give an example of a government transport of corn with instructions that the shipmaster should write a receipt and “ ...δειγμα σφραγισας[θ]ω, “let him seal a sample,”. This is a sealing that guarantees the corn that arrives was in the same condition as when it left. If the condition of the corn changed; became contaminated or rotten; then the original business deal would not have necessarily been honored. The buyer wanted to buy good corn, not contaminated corn. We have multiple examples of grapes and other fruit being sealed for similar reasons.

There are multiple examples of sealing things, such as letters, for reasons of security during transition. The verb passes into another sense as a method of distinguishing an item. For example, in P Tebt ii. 419.5 (iii a.d.) one is instructed to “…send the *** to be branded…” / ...πεμψον την ονον οπως σπραγισθη...”. It came to be used as a method of authenticating, or confirming. In Chrest I. 89.5 the term is used for an animal which was “certified” for sacrifice.

The “sealed rolls” attached to the Elephantine Papyri shows us how this term was used as a “protection against falsification” (in the case of documents). Again, the underlying use was to make sure that a document was not changed or corrupted during it’s transport from one stage of place or time or person and delivered into another place or time or person.

It makes perfect sense then, that the early Christians would have borrowed this very common business term and used it in reference to baptism.

For example, the apostolic Father (i.e. a Christian document written when an apostle could either have been living or the author could have known an apostle) Epistle of Barnabas refers to the relationship of the atonement of Jesus and baptism (i.e. “the cross and the water”), teaching, “For this is what he means: blessed are those who having set their hope on the cross, descended into the water” . And it was done in that order. First faith and commitment to Christ, then the “seal” of baptism.

Thus, an apostolic Father second Clement questions his Christian readers as to “what assurance do we have of entering the kingdom of God if we fail to keep our baptism [covenant] pure and undefiled? Or who will be our advocate, if we are not found to have holy and righteous works.” He asks his fellow Christians : “What do you think? What will be done to the one who cheats in the heavenly contest? For concerning those who have not kept the seal [i.e. baptismal covenant] he says : “their worm will not die and their fire will not be quenched, and they will be a spectacle for all flesh.” “So, then, while we are yet on earth, let us repent….”

In this term, borrowed from business, if one partner to an agreement did not live up to their side of the agreement, the other partner had not obligation to perform his other part of an agreement. This modern theory of "easy believism" that does away with repentance, does not fit into any of these Christian worldviews.

Even the attempt of your modern theory to use of the concept of inheritance and the lawful heir / Κληρονομος as having a firm, unbreakable “guarantee” without ability to opt out of the guaranteed inheritance would have been quite foreign to the early Christian context.

Early Greek κοινη papyri provides example after example of individuals who reject an inheritance of property that they rightfully could have inherited. P Oxy I. 179 a.d., A certain Apia writes to the governor regarding the property that would come to her from her father who was dangerously ill – “… I have no intention of entering on his inheritance,

On the surface, this seems illogical to reject any property offered as an inheritance, but Apia explains why she and others rejected certain inheritances. She said : I am obliged to send you notice, that you may give instructions about the next step to be taken, in order to free me from responsibility after his death”.

In the inscriptions the one thing most often emphasized is the obligation of the κληρονομος (the "lawful heir") to fulfill certain conditions devolving upon him in the inheritance. Frequently enough, the obligations were severe enough that heirs rejected their inheritances.

And the reason they did so is explained in an inscription (BGU) from 135 a.d. which says : ”... it is clearly stated in the Imperial laws that those who have inherited nothing from deceased persons cannot be held responsible for their debts or the claims made against them.”

This insistence on and setting of “conditions” being attached to inheritance was common to the inscrr. For example, the word as associated with the responsibilities of inheritance is illustrated from the Macedonian inscrr by Ferguson Legal Terms, p. 56 : Ει δεο κληρονομος ο εμος παραπεμψη τι, δωσει τω ταμειω δεναρια ψν. “ “But if my heir neglect anything he shall pay to the treasurer a fine of 750 denarii. “ (One inheritance requires the heir to visit the tomb of the father yearly.)

Perhaps, in the case, of Apia, the inheritance came with debt that was worth more than the inheritance. Perhaps it was a small inheritance that carried with it an obligation to do something she did not want to do.

A truly remarkable characteristic about Jesus is that his inheritance came with profoundly heavy and deep and difficult obligations which he accepted, knowing beforehand of their terrible nature.

The gospel concept that “every man might become an heir by complying with the conditions of the promise given to Abraham” was not new. I think Moulton was correct when he said that “When the apostle Paul intimates that only those who fulfill the conditions of inheritance are truly heirs, he is making use of a well-known principle.”

My point is that your new religious Christian theories do not fit into the early Christian worldviews, and, to simply change the meanings of their words and then plug these corrupted meanings into your theory is NOT a historically accurate theory and, though it has the fascade of being historical, it is not authentic nor historical at all.

Instead of simply becoming angry (which is counterproductive), why don't you consider what it means if the early christians and their religion were correct and your modern theories are incorrect?

Just for a moment, be at peace and consider what the difference is, if the early christians were correct in their interpretations?

Clear
δρτζτζειω

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Billiardball said : “ I did not claim to have a unique or special understanding of Paul. “

Billiardsball, I apologize if I misunderstood your many, many claims. However, In post # 26, to underscore credibility, you claimed : “as a Messianic Jew, I know Paul's words “ (in the context of claiming that you understood Paul’s teachings on “other gods”). If you meant you memorized Pauls words rather than understood Pauls words you should have explained this. You claimed a background in history claiming : “ I have more than a passing acquaintance with pre- and post-exilic thought.” (#26), in #83 you introduced your circumcision as evidence you understood Judaism (how circumcision at a “prominent synagogue” gave you understanding, you didn’t explain). You claimed to have lived “ancient Jewish ways” (#102), you claim to have a year of “ancient greek studies” and a “Bachelor’s degree in religion.”

While YOUR point in making these claims is to create credibility underlying your theories, MY point has been that it is NOT enough to simply have a background in greek or history or to "be circumcised", but one must USE the scholastic historical principles one has learned. IF you are going to claim scholarship, then you must USE the tools and the training you claim to have.

IF you are going to claim to know ancient greek and ancient Judeo-Christianity, AND, you are going to create theological theories regarding historical themes, then you have no right to become angry or offended when asked to use greek and historical principles in support of your theories. Supporting your theories using these tools IS part and parcel with religious scholasticism.

You claimed that Ephesians 1:13-14 supports your theory
that once one believes in Jesus and accepts him as their savior, they are then “saved” (though you haven’t yet defined “saved”) and will automatically go to heaven, regardless of how despicable and immoral their subsequent lives become; regardless of defying and rejecting the God who then forces them to BE saved. “I'm going to Heaven as the recipient of salvation even if I decide I want to go to Hell later. “ (Billiardsball, post # 196).

If you are going to create such a theory, and attempt to use Ephesians 1:13-14 to support your theory, then you have no right to be frustrated or angry if others want to examine these verses to see if they actually DO support your theory, or if you are misunderstanding and misusing scriptures to support an incorrect notion.

To have it pointed out that you do not understand these verses, or and are miss-using biblical text to create your theory is NOT a “bad thing” or a thing to become angry about. You should feel some satisfaction in discovery of the truth rather than become angry to be confronted by this discovery. The next scholastic step is to examine the text to see what meaning it might have rather than to sidestep the problem it creates for your theory and try to mine another bit of biblical text to see if it has anything good to say for your theory.

This is what I mean by trying to avoid “lazy scholarship” and avoiding “drive-by interpretation” regarding biblical text and this criticism applies to ANYONE, if they do this things (myself included.

Having said this, we are still left with the questions I asked in post #204”, unanswered. On second look; using your background in greek and history, what did these words in Ephesians 1:13-14 actually mean to the individuals at the time they were spoken and in their historical context?

For example : you used αρραβων as “a deposit guaranteeing”.
However, your greek should tell you that this is not a verb but a noun and your “Jewishness” should remind you that this word is a Hebraism, ערבנ and since the vowels are tsere, patach, cholem vav respectively, then the word is pronounced “arabon” in both Hebrew and greek. In Hebrew the word is a “pledge” and in this context, it is a pledge made as part of a covenant between two (or more) individuals. It carried this same meaning over, into the greek usage.

In earliest koine, it referred to “earnest money” given in business agreements. For example, in the Papyri P Par 58.14 (of ii b.c.), a woman was selling a cow and received 1000 drachmas as “αραβωνα” (the word was spelt both with one “r” or two “r’s”). Demonstrating similar usage, P Lond 143.13 (97 a.d.) has a receipt of 160 drachmas as the remainder of an amount of 200 drachmas as earnest money. P Fay 91.14 (99 a.d.) has “…16 drachmae of silver as unexceptional earnest-money…” ( …αργυριου δραχ[μας] δεκα εξ αρραβονα αναποριφον…”) P Oxy II. 299.2f (of late i a.d.) gave us a note “...regarding Lampon, the mouse-catcher. I paid him for you as earnest money S drachmae in order that he may catch the mice while they are with young…” (... Λαμπωνι μυοθηρευτη εδωκα αυτω δια σου αραβωνα (δραχμας) η ινα μυοθηρευσει εντοκα,...) .

Many, many, many examples of this useage are seen in the earliest Papyri containing everyday koine greek. In P Grenf 11. 67.17ff (of 237 a.d.) certain dancing girls received a certain number of drachmas in preparation for their dance in a village festival. “…υπερ αραβων ος [τη τ]ιμη ελλογουμεν[ο]υ,...” / “…by way of earnest-money to be reckoned in the price.”

In all such cases, the vernacular usage implies that a part is given in advance of full bestowal later. However, the implication is that IF the party given earnest money does NOT fulfill their part of the business deal, they are NOT guaranteed full payment.

This is also true of the words when later used as “the betrothed bride” in modern greek. (a strange linguistic “hold over” from the ancient custom of purchasing a wife…). “ ν αρροβωνα” is still the word used for “the engagement ring”. In all cases, even that of marriage, this concept of earnest as a partial guarantee was retracted if one partner in a covenant or business deal did not remain true to the covenant, or did not fulfill their obligation to the other. Thus, Mary, the mother of Jesus, who was “betrothed” to Joseph, was in danger of being “put away” by Joseph when it was presumed she had not remained faithful to Joseph DESPITE her betrothal.

Your use of this word to indicate an absolute guarantee of salvation is simply incorrect usage of this term and would not have had your meaning to the ancients who actually used the term and were the ones who gave it it’s meaning.

The same points can be made regarding your use of either verb or noun forms of “sealing” or “to seal” (σφραγιζω / σφραγις, etc).

There are many, many, many examples from early Papyri, demonstrating the normal usage of these terms. In P Oxy VI 932.6 (late ii a.d.) a merchant said “…αν ερχη αφες αρταβας εξ ις τους σακκους σφραγισας λαχανοσπερμου ινα προχισροι ωσι…” / “….if you come, take out six artabae of vegetable-seed, sealing it in the sacks in order that they may be ready…” (moulton).

As the linguist Deissmann explained, when Paul uses καρπον σφραγιζεσθαι in Roman 15:25, one is to understand that the Apostle is using the term to mean that all the proper steps had been taken regarding the collection. “If the fruit is sealed; then everything is in order : the sealing is the last thing that must be done prior to delivery.” (Deissmann). In P Hib I. 39:15 (265 b.c.) , a Papyrus give an example of a government transport of corn with instructions that the shipmaster should write a receipt and “ ...δειγμα σφραγισας[θ]ω, “let him seal a sample,”. This is a sealing that guarantees the corn that arrives was in the same condition as when it left. If the condition of the corn changed; became contaminated or rotten; then the original business deal would not have necessarily been honored. The buyer wanted to buy good corn, not contaminated corn. We have multiple examples of grapes and other fruit being sealed for similar reasons.

There are multiple examples of sealing things, such as letters, for reasons of security during transition. The verb passes into another sense as a method of distinguishing an item. For example, in P Tebt ii. 419.5 (iii a.d.) one is instructed to “…send the *** to be branded…” / ...πεμψον την ονον οπως σπραγισθη...”. It came to be used as a method of authenticating, or confirming. In Chrest I. 89.5 the term is used for an animal which was “certified” for sacrifice.

The “sealed rolls” attached to the Elephantine Papyri shows us how this term was used as a “protection against falsification” (in the case of documents). Again, the underlying use was to make sure that a document was not changed or corrupted during it’s transport from one stage of place or time or person and delivered into another place or time or person.

It makes perfect sense then, that the early Christians would have borrowed this very common business term and used it in reference to baptism.

For example, the apostolic Father (i.e. a Christian document written when an apostle could either have been living or the author could have known an apostle) Epistle of Barnabas refers to the relationship of the atonement of Jesus and baptism (i.e. “the cross and the water”), teaching, “For this is what he means: blessed are those who having set their hope on the cross, descended into the water” . And it was done in that order. First faith and commitment to Christ, then the “seal” of baptism.

Thus, an apostolic Father second Clement questions his Christian readers as to “what assurance do we have of entering the kingdom of God if we fail to keep our baptism [covenant] pure and undefiled? Or who will be our advocate, if we are not found to have holy and righteous works.” He asks his fellow Christians : “What do you think? What will be done to the one who cheats in the heavenly contest? For concerning those who have not kept the seal [i.e. baptismal covenant] he says : “their worm will not die and their fire will not be quenched, and they will be a spectacle for all flesh.” “So, then, while we are yet on earth, let us repent….”

In this term, borrowed from business, if one partner to an agreement did not live up to their side of the agreement, the other partner had not obligation to perform his other part of an agreement. This modern theory of "easy believism" that does away with repentance, does not fit into any of these Christian worldviews.

Even the attempt of your modern theory to use of the concept of inheritance and the lawful heir / Κληρονομος as having a firm, unbreakable “guarantee” without ability to opt out of the guaranteed inheritance would have been quite foreign to the early Christian context.

Early Greek κοινη papyri provides example after example of individuals who reject an inheritance of property that they rightfully could have inherited. P Oxy I. 179 a.d., A certain Apia writes to the governor regarding the property that would come to her from her father who was dangerously ill – “… I have no intention of entering on his inheritance,

On the surface, this seems illogical to reject any property offered as an inheritance, but Apia explains why she and others rejected certain inheritances. She said : I am obliged to send you notice, that you may give instructions about the next step to be taken, in order to free me from responsibility after his death”.

In the inscriptions the one thing most often emphasized is the obligation of the κληρονομος (the "lawful heir") to fulfill certain conditions devolving upon him in the inheritance. Frequently enough, the obligations were severe enough that heirs rejected their inheritances.

And the reason they did so is explained in an inscription (BGU) from 135 a.d. which says : ”... it is clearly stated in the Imperial laws that those who have inherited nothing from deceased persons cannot be held responsible for their debts or the claims made against them.”

This insistence on and setting of “conditions” being attached to inheritance was common to the inscrr. For example, the word as associated with the responsibilities of inheritance is illustrated from the Macedonian inscrr by Ferguson Legal Terms, p. 56 : Ει δεο κληρονομος ο εμος παραπεμψη τι, δωσει τω ταμειω δεναρια ψν. “ “But if my heir neglect anything he shall pay to the treasurer a fine of 750 denarii. “ (One inheritance requires the heir to visit the tomb of the father yearly.)

Perhaps, in the case, of Apia, the inheritance came with debt that was worth more than the inheritance. Perhaps it was a small inheritance that carried with it an obligation to do something she did not want to do.

A truly remarkable characteristic about Jesus is that his inheritance came with profoundly heavy and deep and difficult obligations which he accepted, knowing beforehand of their terrible nature.

The gospel concept that “every man might become an heir by complying with the conditions of the promise given to Abraham” was not new. I think Moulton was correct when he said that “When the apostle Paul intimates that only those who fulfill the conditions of inheritance are truly heirs, he is making use of a well-known principle.”

My point is that your new religious Christian theories do not fit into the early Christian worldviews, and, to simply change the meanings of their words and then plug these corrupted meanings into your theory is NOT a historically accurate theory and, though it has the fascade of being historical, it is not authentic nor historical at all.

Instead of simply becoming angry (which is counterproductive), why don't you consider what it means if the early christians and their religion were correct and your modern theories are incorrect?

Just for a moment, be at peace and consider what the difference is, if the early christians were correct in their interpretations?

Clear
δρτζτζειω

Thanks for expanding on Ephesians 1. I appreciate it, sincerely, and again, I apologize for using a paraphrase Bible to support my former (I abandon it regarding Ephesians 1) claim.

But are there ancient sources that make the promises of wills and testaments temporary and not permanent? I've never seen a source, including things like Paul's declaration that we establish rather than nullify the Law via Christ, that God's covenants are temporary. Jesus Christ died so that those who trust Him would receive an inheritance. This fact is so central to Christian theology that both Calvinist and Arminianist agree on this absolute value but disagree on which group Jesus died for, some or all.

How is it, in other words, than one might receive an inheritance from a dead person, and then, upon a change of mind or heart, return the inheritance to the dead?

Thanda

Thanks for expanding on Ephesians 1. I appreciate it, sincerely, and again, I apologize for using a paraphrase Bible to support my former (I abandon it regarding Ephesians 1) claim.

But are there ancient sources that make the promises of wills and testaments temporary and not permanent? I've never seen a source, including things like Paul's declaration that we establish rather than nullify the Law via Christ, that God's covenants are temporary. Jesus Christ died so that those who trust Him would receive an inheritance. This fact is so central to Christian theology that both Calvinist and Arminianist agree on this absolute value but disagree on which group Jesus died for, some or all.

How is it, in other words, than one might receive an inheritance from a dead person, and then, upon a change of mind or heart, return the inheritance to the dead?

Does grace come upon us because of our faith or because of our works?

Clear

Premium Member
Billiardsball said (post # 217) “ Thanks for expanding on Ephesians 1. I appreciate it, sincerely, and again, I apologize for using a paraphrase Bible to support my former (I abandon it regarding Ephesians 1) claim. “

Billiardsball :

I appreciate the fact that you seem to now see that Ephesians 1:13-14 did not mean what you originally thought but that such verses had a different meaning for early Judeo-Christians who spoke and used these words and that you seem to understand that scholastic laziness or diligence applies equally to all individuals and was not specifically meant as a slight to you.

However, now that we agree that Ephesians 1:13-14 DOESN’T mean what you originally wanted it to mean, we have not yet taken any significant scholarly look or discussion at what the verses DO mean for Christians. We are still left with my original questions from post # 204 unanswered.

I asked in post #204”, On second look; using your background in greek and history, what did these words in Ephesians 1:13-14 actually mean to the individuals at the time they were spoken and in their historical context?

What do you think these verses meant?

Clear
δρτζφυσεω

Orontes

Master of the Horse
Orontes,

I don’t understand what prevents God from regarding Job as perfect. My case is he regards all saved people as perfect. That would include the extraordinarily God-ward and upright Job.
I find that the essential point of John 3 is that the new birth is salvific, not that baptism is as essential ordinance. Nicodemus understood that Jesus was not speaking of something he readily understood (John’s baptism, human birth, etc.). However, I apologize for taking this discussion on a tangent. Although I believe differently than LDS regarding the necessity of baptism, I don’t think salvation rests on it specifically.

Regarding punishment and innocence, I could not quite call the concept that Jesus was an innocent substitute who undertook others’ punishment as anachronistic. Jesus was punished for my sin, so I may suffer loss of reward as a saved person while still being saved. I’m punished or rewarded for post-salvation works while not losing salvation itself. He took death upon Himself, the ultimate curse and tang of sin. I’m having trouble thinking of any church leader in any tradition over the millennia digressing from this point without being accused of heresy, whether an ancient or modern transgressor. How do you interpret Isaiah 53?

Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him;
He has put Him to grief.
When You make His soul an offering for sin,
He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days,
And the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand.

11 He shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied.
By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many,
For He shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great,
And He shall divide the spoil with the strong,
Because He poured out His soul unto death,
And He was numbered with the transgressors,
And He bore the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors.

I put forward the Job reference as a counter to your statement 'no one is moral'. I then went to explain that basing an entire doctrinal stance off of a few verses is unwise.

As to God regarding all saved people as perfect: this notion is not biblical. Further, you have claimed you are saved. Does this mean you are perfect? If so, does this mean you have done nothing wrong or flawed or in error since being saved? If not, then you stand as the contradiction to your own statement.

Per baptism: your understanding does not mesh with the text. In John 3 Christ states a man must be born again. He continues that one must be born of water and the spirit. The episode concludes with Christ and His followers staying in Judea and baptizing and then it references John the Baptist doing the same. Baptism is derived from Greek and means to immerse or submerge, typically in water. From the beginnings of the Jesus Movement forward baptism was taken as a fundamental and necessary rite. Even with the ushering in of the Reformation and Luther determined to expunge everything unbiblical from devotional life, the Protestant Reformers held on to baptism as an essential rite. Private interpretations are dangerous because there is no check on them other than the whimsy of the individual. Consider, if you met someone who said the commandment "thou shall not commit adultery' has nothing to do with sex within the bounds of marriage. It actually means it is a sin to sleep with someone you're not in to, so as long as your like them, sex is fine. This person has invented a meaning. Do you see the problem? Your stance is the same model.

Penal Substitution is anachronistic. It is a creature of the Reformation, most notably Calvin. It is also irrational and immoral. Under the penal substitution rubric an innocent (Christ) is made to suffer for the guilty who go unpunished. This is unjust. Imagine Heinrich Himmler, the author if the Holocaust, had been captured and is to be sentenced. His brother, who is understood as a good man, steps forward and says, Heinrich has done terrible things, but I love him so I will accept his punishment. The brother is sentenced to death and Heinrich goes free. Has justice been served? Obviously not. I think your desire to celebrate Christ has led you to a deeply flawed and immoral understanding of the atonement. It isn't how it works. Isaiah 53 doesn't require or support a penal substitution model of the atonement. None of the verbiage you put into bold (offering for sin, bear their iniquities, numbered with, bore the sin of many) require one to opt for a penal substitution understanding. Were it so, Christendom would be an evil system.