• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God in mormonism

Watchmen

Premium Member
I have committed no error. I said what I said and I stand by what I said.

Your assumption that we cannot talk about another person's opinion/belief without speaking ill of that person is not founded in reality.

It's not an assumption. Katzpur and I recognized it for what it is, and your refusal to retract is telling.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
No, I would not have found it offensive.

As I have told you numerous times, I tend not to become offended, especially over the internet. And most especially when the other person is merely voicing their opinion.

I see no reason to be offended by someone's opinion of my beliefs. I am not in that business.

I understand that you wish to be offended on the behalf of other people, but I want to make it clear that I did not say what Watchmen claimed I had said.
Okay, well, I was just commenting on what you actually said, and not on anything Watchman attributed to you. I was just commenting on how the comment came across to me personally. As an individual, that's all I can really do.

Do you believe that the LDS Church is the only true and authorized Church of the Lord Jesus Christ upon the Earth today?
Short answer: Yes. More accurate answer: I have a hunch that I see those words (i.e. "the only true and authorized Church") from a little bit different a perspective than you do. In other words, I'm not you and I'm not Watchmen. I'm just me, doing my best not to be overwhelmed by the tribe, but not wanting to go it alone either.

Prestor John

Okay, well, I was just commenting on what you actually said, and not on anything Watchman attributed to you. I was just commenting on how the comment came across to me personally. As an individual, that's all I can really do.

Short answer: Yes. More accurate answer: I have a hunch that I see those words (i.e. "the only true and authorized Church") from a little bit different a perspective than you do. In other words, I'm not you and I'm not Watchmen. I'm just me, doing my best not to be overwhelmed by the tribe, but not wanting to go it alone either.
I understand where you are coming from, but you have to understand that I am only accountable for what I have said and not necessarily for what "came across" to you from reading my words.

I don't wish to speak ill of Catholics or Jehovah's Witnesses, but Satan only has imitations of the truth in his arsenal.

Last edited:

Prestor John

It's not an assumption. Katzpur and I recognized it for what it is, and your refusal to retract is telling.
If you are unable to have a discussion with someone of a dissenting opinion than you without feeling offended then you are too immature to have such a discussion.

There is no reason for me to retract what I said. It is my opinion. It is my opinion that if someone believes in anything less than the truth then they are relying on "imitations of the truth" and Satan is to blame for that.

That is my understanding of truth based on my personal study and experience.

You are free to believe as you will, but don't presume you can dictate what is or is not error. You do not have that authority.

The fact that you are deluded enough to think that you actually have that authority is very telling.

Watchmen

Premium Member
If you are unable to have a discussion with someone of a dissenting opinion than you without feeling offended then you are too immature to have such a discussion.

There is no reason for me to retract what I said. It is my opinion. It is my opinion that if someone believes in anything less than the truth then they are relying on "imitations of the truth" and Satan is to blame for that.

That is my understanding of truth based on my personal study and experience.

You are free to believe as you will, but don't presume you can dictate what is or is not error. You do not have that authority.

The fact that you are deluded enough to think that you actually have that authority is very telling.

Ok. You said exactly what you meant. Catholics and JWs fall for and/or contribute to "Satan's arsenal" in the form of "imitations of truth."

I can see now there was no error. You truly meant what you said. Thank you for clarifying.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I understand where you are coming from, but you have to understand that I am only accountable for what I have said and not necessarily for "came across" to you from reading my words.

I don't wish to speak ill of Catholics or Jehovah's Witnesses, but Satan only has imitations of the truth in his arsenal.

So a writer is not responsible for his words? How nice. #eyeroll

Prestor John

Ok. You said exactly what you meant. Catholics and JWs fall for and/or contribute to "Satan's arsenal" in the form of "imitations of truth."

I can see now there was no error. You truly meant what you said. Thank you for clarifying.
Why can you not be honest?

I never said that anyone was in "Satan's arsenal". What I said was that Satan has only "imitations of the truth" in his arsenal.

I never said that any Catholic or Jehovah's Witness were incorporated into "Satan's arsenal". No one contributes to Satan's arsenal.

Satan tries to deceive all Mankind with "imitations of the truth".

You are not accurately representing what I said. You are using Satan's tactic of providing an "imitation" of what I have said to try and make me look bad, but it is not going to work. You have nothing.

Prestor John

So a writer is not responsible for his words? How nice. #eyeroll
Again, you are being dishonest.

I very clearly stated that I was "accountable" for what I had said.

What I am not accountable for is what "came across" to Katzpur or anyone else who read my comment.

I am not accountable for the "imitation" of what I have said that you fabricated.

Like I said before - You have nothing.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Why can you not be honest?

I never said that anyone was in "Satan's arsenal". What I said was that Satan has only "imitations of the truth" in his arsenal.

I never said that any Catholic or Jehovah's Witness were incorporated into "Satan's arsenal". No one contributes to Satan's arsenal.

Satan tries to deceive all Mankind with "imitations of the truth".

You are not accurately representing what I said. You are using Satan's tactic of providing an "imitation" of what I have said to try and make me look bad, but it is not going to work. You have nothing.

Feel free to parse words and now claim what you will. Anyon can read your posts and come to their own conclusions (which I strongly suspect will match Katzpur's and mine).

Watchmen

Premium Member
Again, you are being dishonest.

I very clearly stated that I was "accountable" for what I had said.

What I am not accountable for is what "came across" to Katzpur or anyone else who read my comment.

I am not accountable for the "imitation" of what I have said that you fabricated.

Like I said before - You have nothing.

If a person yells FIRE in a movie theater and causes a panic, is that person not accountable for how they "came across"?

Nice try, John. :)

Prestor John

Feel free to parse words and now claim what you will. [Anyone] can read your posts and come to their own conclusions (which I strongly suspect will match Katzpur's and mine).
Anyone who comes to the same conclusion as you and Katzpur would be just as wrong as you were and would need to reread my comment.

If a person yells FIRE in a movie theater and causes a panic, is that person not accountable for how they "came across"?
A more accurate example would be my humming the song, "This Girl Is On Fire" to myself in a movie theater and then everyone panicking.

I am only accountable for what I said. I am not accountable for what "comes across" to people or the "imitations" that you and others fabricate.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Anyone who comes to the same conclusion as you and Katzpur would be just as wrong as you were and would need to reread my comment.

A more accurate example would be my humming the song, "This Girl Is On Fire" to myself in a movie theater and then everyone panicking.

I am only accountable for what I said. I am not accountable for what "comes across" to people or the "imitations" that you and others fabricate.

Everyone who reads the posts know exactly what you are. Parsing words and making inapplicable analogies is a joke.

Prestor John

Watchmen

Premium Member

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Sorry about these interruptions.

Watchmen seems to be trolling me now since Clear owned him on another thread.

Want to take this somewhere else?

Certainly--if you think there's more. I don't mean to belabor my points. I just draw a fine line--but I think an important, salvific line--between all works and faith. I think the NT is condemning all works-based salvation, even baptism and so on--but you are saying that baptism doesn't save, just enhances, so... :)