• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God hates the Bible Belt.

PureX

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
That's an interesting question. I think if you dug into it, you would find there are a lot of factors besides religion at play.

As to whether there is a connection between "Bible based" Christianity and the cultural traits of the Bible belt, I think it would be most realistic to look for an interplay between the two: religion influenced culture, and culture influenced religion.

I think you're right, PureX, that this would make a good thread topic. Would you care to start it?
Yes, I started a thread called "Biblical Bigotry?"

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I find it interesting that the "talking heads" that were so quick to denounce 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina as "gods vengance" on people they didn't like, are so quiet now that they are the ones being hammered by extreme weather.

just a quick statisctic I heard last night on the news. For the past three years the average number of Tornados for the first three months of the year has been 70. This year in the first three months we have already had over 280!
Yikes.

Yet Pat Robertson isn't denouncing these people for pissing god off. ;)

wa:do

onmybelief

Faint said:
Why is it that the most Christian section of the US is also the most battered by tornadoes?

Do you think these are signs that god is angry with his own people? Why is he so angry?

Or is it that the Christian god isn't the real power in this world, and the real god is trying to huff and puff and blow all those Christian trailers down?

Thoughts?

God hates no one. His love is for all people.

I do not think that the fact that tornadoes occur most often in the Bible Belt states is because God is angry. I say this for the simple fact that tornadoes have been happening there for centuries (centuries before Christians ever came at least.)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Not the mid-west, just trailer parks. God hates mobile homes. Sometimes houses get in the way. But it's mostly just mobile homes. God watches Jerry Springer. Doesn't like what he sees on there..
devilangel.gif

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
painted wolf said:
I find it interesting that the "talking heads" that were so quick to denounce 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina as "gods vengance" on people they didn't like, are so quiet now that they are the ones being hammered by extreme weather.

just a quick statisctic I heard last night on the news. For the past three years the average number of Tornados for the first three months of the year has been 70. This year in the first three months we have already had over 280!
Yikes.

Yet Pat Robertson isn't denouncing these people for pissing god off. ;)

It's probably just that no one's called it to Pat's attention yet, Painted Wolf. He's a busy man, you know, channelling God and all. Maybe if you and I composed a politely worded message to him informing him of all the tornados slamming the Bible Belt this year, then Pat will be quick to denounce those Southern Baptists, Pentacostals, Non-Denominationals, and other sinners for pissing off God this year. What do ya think?

opuntia

Religion is Law
PureX said:
A different and perhaps more pertinent question might be why the "bible belt" is traditionally the most narrow minded, racially prejudiced, and religiously and sexually bigoted area of the nation. Is there a connection between "bible-based" Christianity and these defects of character? (Perhaps this should begin a new thread.)
That would be a new thread or train of thought.

literal visionary

Do you help the children of the world with your money, time and talents?

I do all I can, I give everything I can

So having a lot of money is immoral? Where in the scriptures does it say that?

It is, remeber what jesus said to the rich young man?

besides your money everyhting that belong s to you doesn't,

it belongs to god.

Maxist

No, that is because the most passionate Christians live in Tornadoe valley. For some reason they do not move after the third Tornadoe, not that it would be very difficult to, the houses do have wheels!

Faint

jeffrey said:
Not the mid-west, just trailer parks. God hates mobile homes. Sometimes houses get in the way. But it's mostly just mobile homes. God watches Jerry Springer. Doesn't like what he sees on there..
devilangel.gif
I agree. If I were god, I'd take out the trailer parks too. Food stamps, microwave dinners, toothless alcoholics, 500 lb single mothers and their 14 year-old prostitute daughters. WHOOSH! I mean, it only makes sense. God must look at these groups and think, "Damn. Look at the mess I've made. Too bad my creation-pencil doesn't have an eraser. Oh wait a minute..." and presto! Windstorm vengeance!

kevmicsmi

Faint said:
I agree. If I were god, I'd take out the trailer parks too. Food stamps, microwave dinners, toothless alcoholics, 500 lb single mothers and their 14 year-old prostitute daughters. WHOOSH! I mean, it only makes sense. God must look at these groups and think, "Damn. Look at the mess I've made. Too bad my creation-pencil doesn't have an eraser. Oh wait a minute..." and presto! Windstorm vengeance!
but if God did that, can you imagine how many people making a living producing Keystone Light beer would lose their jobs? Plus where would Jerry Springer find his guests anymore? Think Faint before you post:tsk:

literal visionary

there are trailer parks in britain too,

joeboonda

I don't live in a trailer park, that doesn't make me any better than someone who does. I am glad that God is great in mercy, has everlasting loving kindness and patience with us, or we would all be 'erased'. I thank God for His mercy toward me and especially toward those who mock Him.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
maybe god's annoyed at thier tolerance of Pat Robertson? :confused:

blame 9/11 on 'gods wrath'
blame Katrina on 'gods wrath'
call for the assassination of another countries leader
blame Ariel Sharons stroke on 'gods wrath'
telling Pensylvania that they will feel 'gods wrath' for teaching evolution

maybe god was just sick of Pat and gave him a little something he couldn't use as a soapbox for his drivel? :slap: