• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God as a Designer

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Well Burr's belief in a designer comes from his L-Field work, which I think is better explained by the Forms of Aquino than a designer.

Skwim

Veteran Member
From "The Nature of Man and the Meaning of Existence" by Dr. Harold Saxton Burr:

What do you make of Dr. Burr's concept of "God as a Designer"?
For the most part: Stupid.

To say, "Since the Universe and all that therein lies, is a growing, a developing design, the conclusion is inescapable that a Designer is at work" is one of those fabrications that just doesn't hold water. The conclusion is far from being inescapable. Then there's, "In the beginning was the Law and the Law was God," which is shamefully trite, and shouldn't appeal to any but the very gullible. May as well assert that pigs can fly for all its possible worth.

However, I believe he does have a point when he says, "the notion of an all-powerful deity, sitting on the Universe and dictating every aspect of existence, interrupting Nature's Laws at will to satisfy the pleas of properly oriented humans, is absurd." The point being kept within the context of an all-powerful and all-knowing god.

But then he goes right back to asserting inanities: "God is the Designer, working always toward a better Universe, but working always through the Laws which He established. Like every creative mind, He constantly seeks new ways of building a more perfect Universe." It's always amusing how believers concoct and impute various motives, aspirations, needs, and desires to their god. As if they have an inside track into his mind. More than anything, these concoctions only demonstrate how much they require a god that suits their particular needs, which is okay, but also pathetically self serving.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

From "The Nature of Man and the Meaning of Existence" by Dr. Harold Saxton Burr:
This statement I agree with. It is inherent in what we are told about God resting on the 7th day (epoch of long length, not 24 hour days). In other words, God takes time to create things, but he also takes time to enjoy them.

. . . interrupting Nature's Laws at will to satisfy the pleas of properly oriented humans, is absurd. Such a stultifying, dogmatic, authoritarian picture of God is hardly tenable in the face of the evidence.
Why should God be interrupting his laws? This statement seems off.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not well reasoned.
Since the Universe and all that therein lies, is a growing, a developing design, the conclusion is inescapable that a Designer is at work. In the beginning was the Law and the Law was God. Needless to say, this concept of God as a Designer is at sharp variance with the Christian concept of a Deity.
Creos would disagree.
The notion of an all-powerful deity, sitting on the Universe and dictating every aspect of existence, interrupting Nature's Laws at will to satisfy the pleas of properly oriented humans, is absurd.
Right-wing property-oriented Christians would disagree.
Such a stultifying, dogmatic, authoritarian picture of God is hardly tenable in the face of the evidence.
I counsel caution before betting on real evidence respecting gods.
God is the Designer, working always toward a better Universe, but working always through the Laws which He established. Like every creative mind, He constantly seeks new ways of building a more perfect Universe.
Oh dear. As I feared, the real evidence offers no support for this whatsoever.

Akivah

It sounds more in line with the G-d of Judaism. I believe that G-d creates the world anew each day. G-d is all-powerful, but He doesn't dictate every aspect of existence. Instead He manages everything but human activity. Our human freewill is given by G-d. Also I believe that the universe was purposefully created by G-d imperfectly. He wants humanity to use their freewill to do their parts to complete the universe. We are to transform this world from what it is, to what it should be and create a Heaven on Earth.