• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Music

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
Ok guys.. not to tute my own horn:trumpet::p but I'm a pretty good singer (I've actually been told I'm very good:D) and I've always felt like it was a blessing and a gift God gave me to hopefully honor him with one day. Also, I make music as a hobby (and sing karaoke lol) but I'm conflicted because I don't want to do something that causes me to transgress against God so do you guys think music is ok as long as it has a positive message or honors God?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I see nothing wrong with music.Nothing in my religion teaches against it. As long as it doesn't make fun of God any music is ok with my religious beliefs.

Ellen Brown

Ok guys.. not to tute my own horn:trumpet::p but I'm a pretty good singer (I've actually been told I'm very good:D) and I've always felt like it was a blessing and a gift God gave me to hopefully honor him with one day. Also, I make music as a hobby (and sing karaoke lol) but I'm conflicted because I don't want to do something that causes me to transgress against God so do you guys think music is ok as long as it has a positive message or honors God?

Using the criteria you outline, I see no issue with it,

Remté

Don't some of the more conservative Sunnis forbid string music? My sect did but they were like taliban.
Yes I have heard of Muslims who think certain types a music as forbitten - but not anasheeds for one, but they don't necessarily call it music at all. It is vocal music sometimes accompanied by percussion instruments.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is your music for others, or for God? If you are worried about how others might perceive what you express in your music, then I'd suggest you not let it be about them. They are a distraction for you from what your gift is about for you. Anytime you sing from yourself, genuinely, it is honoring God. If there is an audience, that is secondary. If you do this, then it honors God.

Remté

My husband is Muslim and he says music is Haram.:(
I'm not Muslim tho
In my opinion he's wrong. He is following invented Hadiths. Prophet Muhammad prohibited the writing of them. And the Quran says that to make forbitten what God has not made forbitten and say it is from God is Haram. So in my view he is at fault. But convincing him of that may be impossible. However, you have no obligation to follow that rule yourself. Maybe you could find a Muslim scholar that he trusts who is not against music and introduce the idea throught that. Perhaps it could soften his attitude.

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
That must be a hard relationship for you. I am sorry. May Allah SWT bring peace to your relationship.
It was hard at first but it's gotten easier...Even if he doesn't agree with some of my beliefs, he still respects them and I respect his but thank you very much!:blush:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
To me music is as powerful as a drug. It is mood altering and can have a good or bad effect on our actions.

Music was always part of Israel's worship, so God has no problem with music per se....but the devil knows how to use it too and much of todays music is a reflection of his standards.

I am a great fan of classical music (no lyrics to worry about) and I love cello and Spanish guitar in particular.

Here is a favourite....

And another....just for fun.

An another....

One last one...

How do these make you feel?

Probably not what you were asking for in your OP but I thought I'd share them anyway....enjoy.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I believe God loves a good singer who honours God :)

Remté

The Quran also says that each person should use the talents they have been given. To conceal them or ignore them is generally speaking not good.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Sound is air molecules bouncing against the thin eardrum in our ears. Music is based on natural harmonics that occur everywhere, which our brains listen for. Harmonics tell us what is happening and what things are made of; and they tell us who is speaking. The air itself has a particular density that forms the basis of harmonics. If we were in a different gas like Helium everything would sound differently. When you tap on something metal it makes harmonics. When you tap on something glass it makes harmonics. When you blink it makes harmonics. Even rubbing your skin.

Suppose you drop a spoon on the floor. The spoon will have one or two major frequencies it will emit, mainly governed by the density of the air, the shape and density of the spoon and its other characteristics like how brittle it is. Objects in air will ring out a note such as a C note, and that note will be followed by particular harmonics in a sequence, but some overtones may be missing or be louder or quieter. The harmonic creates a pattern which activates neurons in our brains with a reward which simulates learning and memory. That is how we remember sounds, and it feels good. Sounds feel good, or we could not remember them. Its how we remember words, too.

As we listen to more complex music, our musical hearing ability gets stronger. We are able to appreciate new things. If we never listen to music then fewer kinds of music will sound nice. Some of them may sound like noise. It has to do with activation energy in neurons, but ears act as a filter. Ears listen for music. Its what they seem to be made for.

Singers and musical instruments take advantage of natural harmonics by singing in a scale and manipulating scales. We don't sing randomly or with endless repetition. We imitate the harmonics of physical objects.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I shudder when I hear people say, "Don't sing." It's an evil form of repression.

However, I do think that one has to be careful about lyrics. And some forms of music encourage negative feelings. Screaming is just anger. What effect do you think it will have on a person to go around exposed to anger all day long?

There are certain universals of music. We all perceive intervals such as perfect fifths as harmonic and soothing, and augmented fourths as uncomfortable. Because of this, composers are indeed able to arouse our feelings. Sometimes, a good composer can even arouse the sense of the transcendent.

arthra

Baha'i
…. do you guys think music is ok as long as it has a positive message or honors God?

Here are some responses to your question from Baha'i sources:

"Among some of the nations of the Orient, music and harmony was not approved of, but the Manifested Light, Bahá'u'lláh, in this glorious period has revealed in Holy Tablets that singing and music are the spiritual food of the hearts and souls. In this dispensation, music is one of the arts that is highly approved and is considered to be the cause of the exaltation of sad and desponding hearts.

Therefore … set to music the verses and the divine words so that they may be sung with soul-stirring melody in the Assemblies and gatherings, and that the hearts of the listeners may become tumultuous and rise towards the Kingdom of Abha in supplication and prayer".

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 378

ManSinha

There is Gospel music and there is plenty of music in the Dharmic faiths - in fact it is said to be one of the ways to a collective realization of the Almighty as you join in singing praises along with like minded others - I can send you links if you are so inclined.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I shudder when I hear people say, "Don't sing." It's an evil form of repression.

However, I do think that one has to be careful about lyrics. And some forms of music encourage negative feelings. Screaming is just anger. What effect do you think it will have on a person to go around exposed to anger all day long?

There are certain universals of music. We all perceive intervals such as perfect fifths as harmonic and soothing, and augmented fourths as uncomfortable. Because of this, composers are indeed able to arouse our feelings. Sometimes, a good composer can even arouse the sense of the transcendent.
Yeah, and it takes an effort to find the very positive songs. There are some good ones. Most songs seem to deal with struggles. It takes talent to come up with something that both adults and kids like to hear. Anything that touches romance tends to have sad connections. Here are a few fairly upbeat popular ones, but even these have some strings attached.

• Our House by Madness
  • Happy by Pharrell Williams
  • Rainbow Connection
  • Stand by R.E.M.
  • Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads
  • 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yeah, and it takes an effort to find the very positive songs. There are some good ones. Most songs seem to deal with struggles. It takes talent to come up with something that both adults and kids like to hear. Anything that touches romance tends to have sad connections. Here are a few fairly upbeat popular ones, but even these have some strings attached.

• Our House by Madness
  • Happy by Pharrell Williams
  • Rainbow Connection
  • Stand by R.E.M.
  • Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads
  • 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Nothing wrong with songs that help us through our struggles -- that sort of growth is also healthy.

I would add to your list:
  • I hope you dance by Lee Ann Womack
  • What a wonderful world by Louis Armstrong
  • Everyobody hurts sometimes by REM