• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Death

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If god is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, can god die?

food for thought? bon appétit bébé!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The entire point of some theologies is to posit a god that transcends the temporal nature of physical reality. The god of classical monotheism is one such god, so yes, the god that is omnimax (among a few other things) is eternal and unchanging by definition.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The entire point of some theologies is to posit a god that transcends the temporal nature of physical reality. The god of classical monotheism is one such god, so yes, the god that is omnimax (among a few other things) is eternal and unchanging by definition.
I would argue that a creator-god can't be an unchanging god, since the act of creation involves a change in state of the creator.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I would argue that a creator-god can't be an unchanging god, since the act of creation involves a change in state of the creator.
Maybe, though that's applying human logic to it, which this god obviously doesn't operate by. I see no reason to suppose that this obtuse and incomprehensible god-concept would be limited by notions such as "to cause change one must themselves be changeable." Someone else more familiar with the philosophy of the Abrahamic god could give it a better accounting than I.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe, though that's applying human logic to it, which this god obviously doesn't operate by.

It's funny how God is knowable and understandable as much as is convenient for the believer, but then also conveniently vague and mysterious when needed.

A certain degree of human logic needs to apply to a thing for us to even assign a label to it (e.g. "god"). If God is completely exempt from logic and reason, then "God" is just a sound we use in place of a word, not an actual word that conveys meaning.

I see no reason to suppose that this obtuse and incomprehensible god-concept would be limited by notions such as "to cause change one must themselves be changeable." Someone else more familiar with the philosophy of the Abrahamic god could give it a better accounting than I.
The way I see it, a creator-god would need to have at least two states ("initiating creation" and "not initiating creation")... potentially more if we decide that the god created his creation according to a design or plan, or if we decide that the god sustains his creation.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's funny how God is knowable and understandable as much as is convenient for the believer, but then also conveniently vague and mysterious when needed.

A certain degree of human logic needs to apply to a thing for us to even assign a label to it (e.g. "god"). If God is completely exempt from logic and reason, then "God" is just a sound we use in place of a word, not an actual word that conveys meaning.

Yeah, and there's a metric ton of philosophy and other theological writings that do exactly that - apply logic, reason, and knowledge to the concept of god. You probably haven't read it any more than I have, but I know it exists because I got a cursory crash course in it in a philosophy of "religion" course I took in college. "Religion" in quotes because it pretty much ignored anything that wasn't Abrahamic or classical monotheism, so it wasn't really a philosophy of religion course as much as a philosophy of mostly Christianity and Western monotheism... it was kind of a disappointing course when I took it because of that. Oh well.

The way I see it, a creator-god would need to have at least two states ("initiating creation" and "not initiating creation")... potentially more if we decide that the god created his creation according to a design or plan, or if we decide that the god sustains his creation.
When do you plan to publish your scholarship with these ideas? I don't do classical monotheism so I don't really have a care in this debate, but if you publish I might read it.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If god is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, can god die?
food for thought? bon appétit bébé!
God can Not die because God is 'from and to everlasting' - Psalm 90:2 ( No beginning No ending for God / death proof )
God is 'Not omnipresent' because God has a specific home location - see 1st Kings 8:43; Deut. 26:15
God is 'Not omnipotent' because God can Not lie -Titus 1:2; Heb. 6:18 - and God created you with free-will choices so He can not make you do anything against your will.
God is Not 'omniscient' with unbounded knowledge because God choose Not to make our choices for us.
We choose of our own free will whether to be a figurative 'sheep' or 'goat' - Matthew 25:31-34,37
food for thought ? bon appeit bebe !
Please see Psalm 22:26

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
........A certain degree of human logic needs to apply to a thing for us to even assign a label to it (e.g. "god"). If God is completely exempt from logic and reason, then "God" is just a sound we use in place of a word, not an actual word that conveys meaning.
Since this planet (named Earth according to God at Gen. 1:10) provides food for us then yes God sustains us.
In other words, we can't make our own food except from what is already here.
To me God's 'design purpose' is for mankind to inhabit the Earth - Isaiah 45:18, Matt. 5:5
Yes, the title word God/god is a sound or a word in place of the Tetragrammaton for God's personal name YHWH.
Since God is Creator (Rev. 4:11) then meaning it is God who causes to become - Psalm 104:30

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God is 'Not omnipresent' because God has a specific home location - see 1st Kings 8:43; Deut. 26:15
God is 'Not omnipotent' because God can Not lie -Titus 1:2; Heb. 6:18 - and God created you with free-will choices so He can not make you do anything against your will.
God is Not 'omniscient' with unbounded knowledge because God choose Not to make our choices for us.
We choose of our own free will whether to be a figurative 'sheep' or 'goat' - Matthew 25:31-34,37
food for thought ? bon appeit bebe !
Please see Psalm 22:26
Is God omnipresent in the Bible?

Does the Bible teach that God is omnipresent? Yes, as taught in Psalm 113:4-6, Psalm 139:7-10, Proverbs 15:3, Isaiah 57:15, Jeremiah 23:23-24, and Hebrews 4:13. 5.
What Does It Mean That God Is Omnipresent? - Christianity.com

Is God all-powerful or omnipotent Bible verse or passage?

Scripture affirms God's omnipotence by saying that God does whatever he is pleased to do (Psa 115:3; cf. Isa 55:11 and Jer 32:17). Nothing is too hard for him (Gen 18:14). His word is never void of power, so when he speaks, everything in creation obeys him (Isa 55:11).
The Omnipotence, Omniscience, and Omnipresence of God

Is God omniscient Bible verse?

In 1 John 3, the Apostle John explicitly stated that God knows everything, but Scripture gives several specific examples of God's omniscience for us to ponder. Matthew 10:29-30 - Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. Jul 10, 2018
God is Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent

Where in Scripture does it say God is omniscient?

In knowing his own intentions, God knows everything in himself, in his creation, and throughout history. Scripture often refers to the universality of God's knowledge (Psa 147:5, John 21:17, Heb 4:12-13, 1Jn 3:20).
The Omnipotence, Omniscience, and Omnipresence of God

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
....................... I see no reason to suppose that this obtuse and incomprehensible god-concept would be limited by notions such as "to cause change one must themselves be changeable." Someone else more familiar with the philosophy of the Abrahamic god could give it a better accounting than I.
As far as 'to cause change one must be changeable' seems to fit the illustration about the Potter and the clay.
( Isaiah 64:8; 45:9; 29:16; )
So, if we are like soft moldable clay the Potter's hands (aka God) can patiently work with us. (as a work in progress I hope)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No, He never was, since God is not a living creature.
Definitely.

I do think however the concept of God is technically "alive" , being that the person who has their own personal mental God is essentially an extension of themselves living through their puppet, alive and well for those who want to have a God living in their minds. I think however having a god avatar inside one's head only applies to those with that "inner voice". I know not everybody has one , so that isn't applicable to those who don't.

Once they die however, this personal mental God, born and conceived in their heads, also dies with them.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Is God omnipresent in the Bible?
Does the Bible teach that God is omnipresent? Yes, as taught in Psalm 113:4-6, Psalm 139:7-10, Proverbs 15:3, Isaiah 57:15, Jeremiah 23:23-24, and Hebrews 4:13. .....................................
Psalm 113:6 'heavens' shows God's sovereign position, the realm from where He governs -
- Psalm 103:19-21; 2nd Chron. 20:6; Matt. 23:22; Acts 7:49
God 'looks down' as in seeing upon our physical heavens and earth - Psalm 14:2; 102:19; 113:6
Psalm 139:7-10 Note: David asked where he could go from God's "SPIRIT"
So, by means of God's spirit God's power is exerted to see anywhere without actually being there. 1st Kings 8:39
Thus, from a fixed location then there is Not a creation that is not manifest - Deut. 26:15; Hebrews 4:13
Proverbs 15:3 Yes, God's eyes are everywhere ( kind of like a seeing fixed surveillance camera ) - Hebrews 4:13
Jeremiah 23:23-24 again God can see (so to speak) from heaven - Psalm 139:7
God sees whether we choose good or choose bad - Jeremiah 16:17 - but God does Not have to be present Himself.
So, isn't it Not God's literal eyes, Not literal ears, Not literal face ? - 1st Peter 3:12; Proverbs 15:3
Even in English we say " I see " in the sense of understanding, or I "hear" in understanding your saying.
I suppose we just have to 'face' it that we don't agree.