• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Carl Sagan

izzy88

Carl Sagan's explanation here of how we perceive things that are beyond our own dimension is useful for explaining how we perceive God.

In the 2D vs. 3D example, God is akin to the apple and we are the square.

In the 3D vs. 4D example, God is akin to the tesseract. Just as we can see a "shadow" of a tesseract but have no way of comprehending the tesseract itself, so it is for our perception of God - our experience and understanding of him is merely a "shadow" of what he truly is.

Too often, atheists try to argue against God by appealing to the rules of our own dimension, but this is as misguided as the square trying to argue that the apple cannot exist.

Hopefully this helps some of you gain a more accurate conception of what we're discussing when we discuss God.

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

Carl Sagan's explanation here of how we perceive things that are beyond our own dimension is perfect for explaining how we perceive God.

In the 3D vs. 4D example, God is akin to the tesseract. Just as we can see a "shadow" of a tesseract but have no way of comprehending the tesseract itself, so it is for our perception of God - our experience and understanding of him is merely a "shadow" of what he truly is.

Too often, atheists try to argue against God by appealing to the rules of our own dimension, but this is as misguided as the square trying to argue that the apple cannot exist.

Hopefully this helps some of you gain a more accurate conception of what we're discussing when we discuss God.

I for one, do not argue that gods cannot exist. I simply see no evidence of them. Funny how you don't appeal to the fourth dimension to argue for the existence of Odin or Zeus. Only for the Christian god, right?

izzy88

I for one, do not argue that gods cannot exist. I simply see no evidence of them. Funny how you don't appeal to the fourth dimension to argue for the existence of Odin or Zeus. Only for the Christian god, right?

Because I didn't say gods; I said God.

The capital G "God" is an entirely different concept from the lowercase g "gods". The latter are beings which exist within the universe, the former is not a being and does not exist within the universe.

Why would I need to appeal to the 4th dimension analogy to explain things that exist within our dimension?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think the additional dimensions are the source of paranormal phenomena on the earth plane and the home reality for astral and higher spiritual beings.

"God" to me is a concept beyond all physical and higher dimensions.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member

There are pre-Christian, pagan conceptions of God that satisfy the kind of preconditions and postulates that @izzy88 often discusses (i.e. a Creator that is Being itself and the ground of existence).

In discussing "Zeus" (a lowercase god) you are, if I may say so, conflating two very different ideas and critiquing one theistic concept in lieu of another which is suggesting something not at all the same. When Socrates spoke in the Platonic Dialogues of "the god", he was referring to another philosophical conception about the ground of existence, quite distinct in his mind from his references to "gods" such as Zeus or Saturn.

The so-called monism or monotheism of the philosophers, such as Plato's Demiurge and Aristotle's "Unmoved Mover", actually influenced the Christian theological conception of God.

In Platonism, for example, material reality is dependent upon a Supreme Monad ("Mind") that Plato in his Timaeus calls "the divine Craftsman (“Demiurge,” dêmiourgos, 28a6) who, imitating an unchanging and eternal model, imposes mathematical order to generate the ordered universe (kosmos)...the outcome of the deliberate intent of Intellect (nous)" [Platonic Dialogues (360 BCE)].

Aristotle, likewise, had his "Unmoved Mover":

Unmoved mover - Wikipedia

The unmoved mover (Ancient Greek: ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ, romanized: ho ou kinoúmenon kineî, lit. 'that which moves without being moved')[1] or prime mover (Latin: primum movens) is a concept advanced by Aristotle as a primary cause (or first uncaused cause)[2] or "mover" of all the motion in the universe.[3] As is implicit in the name, the unmoved mover moves other things, but is not itself moved by any prior action. In Book 12 (Greek: Λ) of his Metaphysics, Aristotle describes the unmoved mover as being perfectly beautiful, indivisible, and contemplating only the perfect contemplation: self-contemplation

When we refer to the existence of God, we aren't technically referring to anything derived from purported divine revelation per se but rather from the reasoned reflections of natural philosophers, many of whom antedate Christianity and actually shaped how we think about theism.

Consider:

How Did God Get Started? | Arion

As any student of ancient philosophy can tell you, we see the first appearance of a unitary God not in Jewish scripture, but in the thought of the Greek philosopher Plato, who wrote in the early fourth century bc.

Moreover, its origins go back to none other than Thales, who had proposed that nature can be explained by reference to a single unitary principle that pervades everything.

In his contribution to a groundbreaking book called Pagan Monotheism in Late Antiquity (1999), the classicist Martin West calls these monist principles “mindless gods,” which suits them admirably.1

Adding limited agency to this tradition, Plato in his dialogue Timaeus described what he called the Demiurge, a divine Craftsman who shapes the material world after ideal Forms that exist on a perfect immaterial plane. And Plato’s student Aristotle put his own twist on the concept, conceiving of God as an Unmoved Mover—a conception that would later, like Plato’s Demiurge, profoundly influence Jewish and Christian theology.

Centuries would pass before the Jews assimilated Greek thought, and scholars suspect that it was Hellenized Jewish philosophers such as Philo of Alexandria who imported the Greek idea of a single unitary God into the Jewish tradition. Philo, who was educated in Platonic philosophy and lived in the lifetime of Jesus, wrote, “God is One, but he has around him numberless potencies . . . ” Philo’s “potencies” would soon become the angels and demons (including Satan) whom early Christians would equate with the traditional gods of Greek polytheism as Christianity split off from this evolving Jewish tradition.

So one indisputable thing the last century or so of scholarly work has uncovered about faith and reason is that they are hardly the rigidly separate traditions we commonly take them for. It’s surprising for us, looking back, that reason came first. Even more surprising, perhaps, is how quickly monotheistic faith followed, starting with its first glimmering in the thought of Thales himself. As we perceive order in nature, it seems, we also gravitate to the One.

Please read this section of the review of a book by the Eastern Orthodox theologian David Bentley Hart in The Guardian:

The one theology book all atheists really should read

The God attacked by most modern atheists, Hart argues, is a sort of superhero...

The superhero God can do anything he likes to the universe, including creating it to begin with. Demolishing this God is pretty straightforward: all you need to do is point to the lack of scientific evidence for his existence, and the fact that we don't need to postulate him in order to explain how the universe works.

Some people really do believe in this version of God: supporters of 'intelligent design', for example – for whom Hart reserves plenty of scorn – and other contemporary Christian and Muslim fundamentalists, too. But throughout the history of monotheism, Hart insists, a very different version of God has prevailed. In a post at The Week, Damon Linker sums up this second version better than I can:

… according to the classical metaphysical traditions of both the East and West, God is the unconditioned cause of reality – of absolutely everything that is – from the beginning to the end of time. Understood in this way, one can’t even say that God "exists" in the sense that my car or Mount Everest or electrons exist. God is what grounds the existence of every contingent thing, making it possible, sustaining it through time, unifying it, giving it actuality. God is the condition of the possibility of anything existing at all.
God, in short, isn't one very impressive thing among many things that might or might not exist; "not just some especially resplendent object among all the objects illuminated by the light of being," as Hart puts it. Rather, God is "the light of being itself", the answer to the question of why there's existence to begin with. In other words, that wisecrack about how atheists merely believe in one less god than theists do, though it makes a funny line in a Tim Minchin song, is just a category error. Monotheism's God isn't like one of the Greek gods, except that he happens to have no god friends. It's an utterly different kind of concept.

If you think this God-as-the-condition-of-existence argument is rubbish, you need to say why. And unlike for the superhero version, scientific evidence won't clinch the deal. The question isn't a scientific one, about which things exist. It's a philosophical one, about what existence is and on what it depends.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Carl Sagan's explanation here of how we perceive things that are beyond our own dimension is perfect for explaining how we perceive God.

There is nothing in Carl Sagan's works that remotely relates to the belief in a Theistic God. It is unethical to misuse the writings of someone else to justify what you believe.

For example "What I'm saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job. [Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 164.]"

At best he was an agnostic naturalist like Einstein. Like Einstein the Cosmos was his God.

Last edited:

izzy88

There is nothing in Carl Sagan's works that remotely relates to the belief in God. It is unethical to misuse the writings of someone else to justify what you believe.

For example "What I'm saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job. [Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 164.]"

At best he was an agnostic naturalist like Einstein. Like Einstein the Cosmos was his God.
You seem to think that I claimed Sagan was using these analogies to speak about God. I didn't. I said his analogies would work well for explaining how we perceive God.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Carl Sagan's explanation here of how we perceive things that are beyond our own dimension is useful for explaining how we perceive God.

The 2D people could see the 2D image of the apple. They couldn't see the whole apple but they could at least see the 2D section of the apple where it intersected their plane. There was physical 2D evidence of the apple allowing the 2D person to accept the existence of the apple. So where is the physical evidence for God?

izzy88

The 2D people could see the 2D image of the apple. They couldn't see the whole apple but they could at least see the 2D section of the apple where it intersected their plane. There was physical 2D evidence of the apple allowing the 2D person to accept the existence of the apple. So where is the physical evidence for God?
You're making the analogy literal, which misunderstands what an analogy is. Just like God isn't literally an apple, he also doesn't literally leave a physical imprint on our dimension with his physical body. God does not even have a physical body.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You seem to think that I claimed Sagan was using these analogies to speak about God. I didn't. I said his analogies would work well for explaining how we perceive God.

What Carl Sagan described in his books is a romantic view of the Cosmos, for example being 'everything there is,' is a description from a naturalist perspective. His description of the Cosmos does not include anything else, but the cosmos, which would not be remotely related to the Theist perspective that there is a God, and a Cosmos.

izzy88

What Carl Sagan described in his books is a romantic view of the Cosmos, for example being 'everything there is,' is a description from a naturalist perspective. His description of the Cosmos does not include anything else, but the cosmos, which would not be remotely related to the Theist perspective that there is a God, and a Cosmos.
Cool, thanks for sharing.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Cool, thanks for sharing.

From another perspective is Carl Sagan's description of the Cosmos could fit all world views from Theist to Atheist if one is open to the vast diverse natural description of the Cosmos. The same is true for Einstein's view of the Cosmos.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Because I didn't say gods; I said God.

The capital G "God" is an entirely different concept from the lowercase g "gods". The latter are beings which exist within the universe, the former is not a being and does not exist within the universe.

Why would I need to appeal to the 4th dimension analogy to explain things that exist within our dimension?

In respect to ALL religions that believe in God(s) I capitalize all Gods.

izzy88

In respect to ALL religions that believe in God(s) I capitalize all Gods.
Well you shouldn't, because that's not how the terms are traditionally used. God with a capital G refers to "the God of the philosophers", which is an entirely different concept than the beings that are considered "gods" from mythological stories. All you're going to do is confuse the issue.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Well you shouldn't, because that's not how the terms are traditionally used. God with a capital G refers to "the God of the philosophers", which is an entirely different concept than the beings that are considered "gods" from mythological stories. All you're going to do is confuse the issue.

I do not agree to the traditional use pf God capitalized, which it refers 'traditionally' to the God of Monotheistic religions. I have equal respect for the God(s) of polytheistic religions. Some describe Trinitarian Christianity as a polytheistic religion.

How about the Gods of the Greek and Roman Philosophers.

Do You Capitalize 'God'?

"One of the most common questions people ask about religious words is whether to capitalize the word “god.” The name or title of any specific deity is capitalized just like any other name, so when “God” is used to refer to “the one God” (in other words, in any monotheistic religion), it is capitalized."

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
When a human says I will apply a concept about "where did everything come from" and then imply it as God first.

Where is the self in that meaning/purpose to say God existed first as God by maths inference O a zero body...but physical in that zero body.

Seeing thinking does not remove physical form from existing in its owned stated ONE reality. STone, a planet and its gas mass history, not a human. You being a bio life living and existing due to light/water and oxygen.

To say once God was not stone. As the theme. Yet One, the God status O zero does exist as stone.

Then you would realize that all your unnatural thoughts displaces your owned conscious perception of the bio organic life/conscious self human in natural life.

For you are always the higher self imposing all thoughts about relative want of change.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Not necessarily the "Christian God" per se. Remember that Jews and Muslims also teach monotheism. And quite frankly, most people who are Nones (not a part of any particular religion) also believe in God, even if it isn't defined or orthodox. Even Deists believe in God. They simply have a few different ideas about him. Polytheism, however, is a very different thing. A god that is part of a pantheon is but a sliver of the pie of of a very fractured Divine.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
When a human says I will apply a concept about "where did everything come from" and then imply it as God first.

. . . or simply the nature of the Quantum World and Natural Laws first, but not actually 'first', but for an infinite eternal reality, and nothing first.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Conversely one could argue that it's as misguided to ascribe a higher dimensional beings with human characteristics like love or wrath, or even an interest in what happens in our personal lives at all, if it even could perceive our dimension in any reasonable way (just like we can't actually perceive dimensions 'lower' than ours, only conceptualize them.)

Sometimes I think with the necessity of this kind of being to be fundamentally beyond measure to maintain its image of power and mystery, people are quick to about face and *give* it measures. Have their cake and eat it too, so to speak.

But to expand on the analogy further it would be interesting to theorize a higher dimensional being which can only interract with lower dimensional beings by altering itself to coincide with the dimension it's interracting with. Making it just as limited as anything else in that dimension for the duration in which it wants to impact it. Maybe even manifesting different bits of itself for individual jobs depending on the intended goal going in, leading to an overall feel of a sort of henotheism.
Basically, you can use the analogy to construct whatever god concept you want.