• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go and sin no more...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
fullsizeoutput_1007.jpeg

What did Jesus means when he told the adulteress to go and sin no more? Did that mean it was possible for her to live without sin?​

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I always thought it meant, "Commit adultery no more", though I think to actually understand what was being said, I think we'd have to look at a more original interpretation. I probably won't be satisfied trying to guess anything from current interpretations.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What did Jesus means when he told the adulteress to go and sin no more? Did that mean it was possible for her to live without sin?
The NT does not make this clear but there are different classifications of sin. For example: murder is not in the same class as forgetting to brush your teeth.

Brian2

Veteran Member
fullsizeoutput_1007.jpeg

What did Jesus means when he told the adulteress to go and sin no more? Did that mean it was possible for her to live without sin?​

There is evidence that this story was not in the original gospel of John and is left out in some modern translations. However Jesus does say this to others also.
Jesus of course did not want people to sin and no doubt did not want them to sin and rely on being forgiven.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The NT does not make this clear but there are different classifications of sin. For example: murder is not in the same class as forgetting to brush your teeth.

So I assume you think it is not possible to live without sin because sin is? What?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
So I assume you think it is not possible to live without sin because sin is? What?
You assume that I say something that I don't say. :)

Is that because you'd prefer an argument you can win? :)

So do I. :cool: I would never even begin to argue that. Its not my position.

Did that mean it was possible for her to live without sin?
It recognized the already established understanding that it was possible for a Jewish person to so live.

Now we do have some tricky arguments in the NT letters which seem to argue that its impossible for Jews to live without sin, but is it talking about physical actions only or does it include the inclinations to sin? These are advanced arguments about nuances, but generally a person (any person not just Jews) doesn't have to sin the big sins: adultery, stealing, etc. What is more difficult is to keep them from occurring in our minds -- to suppress the very inclination to sin.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. I believe it is not only possible to live without sin, but is should be the goal of a spiritual aspirant. One could think of sin like the oil light coming on in the car, when you see it, you know it's time to do some routine maintenance on the engine. When everything is filled up properly, the light doesn't come on.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You assume that I say something that I don't say. :)

Is that because you'd prefer an argument you can win? :)

So do I. :cool: I would never even begin to argue that. Its not my position.

Actually, I'm curious if it is possible to be free from sin. However to know we are free from something, we'd need to know what that something is.

It recognized the already established understanding that it was possible for a Jewish person to so live.

Now we do have some tricky arguments in the NT letters which seem to argue that its impossible for Jews to live without sin, but is it talking about physical actions only or does it include the inclinations to sin? These are advanced arguments about nuances, but generally a person (any person not just Jews) doesn't have to sin the big sins: adultery, stealing, etc. What is more difficult is to keep them from occurring in our minds -- to suppress the very inclination to sin.

To suppress one's actions, ok but to suppress feelings as well?
Lust for example, is lust a sin?
Is the feeling of lust something we can control?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Lust is part of us, so when we suppress it we essentially cut off part of ourselves. I don't know what Jews think about this, but in their wisdom literature being 'Too good' can be considered harmful. I have no idea what the Talmud has to say about it or what Conservative or Reform Jews etc would say. As for a Christian, our canon suggests that we live extreme lives. Some of us do. I don't think its normal, however, for a person to suppress lust to an extreme degree. There is a personal cost for doing this.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Suppression and denial of things we don't like in ourselves has these nasty habit of coming out elsewhere in our lives. It's like trying to force of balloon full of air underwater. It'll eventually pop up in unpredictable ways, like rage for instance. Psychologically speaking, our "shadow" material is the result of disowned aspects of ourselves. It's going to surface in some way, possibly ill-health or self-destructive tendencies, bad relationships, depression, addictions, etc.

But is there a way to deal with things like this without resorting to suppressions and denials? Yes. It takes acceptance of them, and simply not letting them have power through our feeding of them. When we try to repress them, we feed them, we give them more energy because we are focusing on them energetically.

When we seek to repress something, we are identifying ourselves with it, and disowning it, thus feeding it and giving it energy. The trick is just acknowledging them, embracing it, yet choosing not not feed it. That can be anything, from unhealthy desires, anger, fear, anxieties, etc.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Not brushing your teeth is not a sin or error. Show me one animal that brushes it's teeth. I never saw a cow brushing its teeth
You have a difference concept of sin in your religion, but its irrelevant to the topic. All you had to do was say you had a difference conception of sin. Cows don't need to brush teeth. People do. When we don't keep our teeth clean we make a mistake. Bacteria form plaques on our teeth, and beneath the plaques they secrete acids which dissolve enamel. Eventually this causes the teeth to be destroyed and can also create openings for bacteria to enter into the bloodstream, creating further infections. Its common for people to die from infections beginning in the mouth.