• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go Ahead and Hit the Kid. You Have My Permission

Should schools be able to paddle kids who misbehave?

• Yup

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Nope

Votes: 31 86.1%

• Total voters

Grandliseur

Children need that legal protection more than adults do.
The whole subject is fraught with different opinions.

I know that violence works. Whether it could be implemented in a fashion that wouldn't lead to abuse is an entirely different question. I have seen the abuse by my old teachers. On of our teachers, who actually got promoted, was a mean one, and used it wrongly, even criminally.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I know that violence works.
Violence only really works for perpetuating violence. There are tons and tons of studies that conclude corporal punishment, at best doesn't work to achieve the desired results, and if it does do anything it overwhelming puts children at a higher risk of maladaption, learning to solve problems with violence themselves, and several other negative outcomes.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
...Violence works.
Yes, violence will suppress unwanted behavior, but it won't correct the mental deficit that allowed the behavior to emerge in the first place. You can expect the behavior to re-emerge when the threat of violence is removed. You can expect the recipient of violence to grow up to see violence as a legitimate method of persuasion.
If children learned respect then maybe corporal punishment would not be needed. Of course one has to earn respect.
Unquestioning respect for authority can be problematic. Blind obedience can be problematic. These are hallmarks of authoritarianism.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Do it to an adult, and it's assault.
I gave you a "Winner" for this.

It's absolutely true -- if any adult person does something to me that hurts me, irks me, makes me think he's stupid or insensitive or racist, or anything at all, I have lots of options for how to deal with it. None of those options includes whacking him upside the head! Nor should they.

Smack a child to make her do things your way? You've also taught her how she should attempt to get others to do things her, way!

Every child past the age of 3 can be reasoned with, albeit simply and slowly and with great patience. A careful effort to get a child to see why something is unacceptable, or hurtful to others, or even hurtful to herself, is effort well-spent, and unquestionably educational.

Beating up on those who can't even defend themselves against you is really beneath everybody's dignity. Don't do it.

Grandliseur

it won't correct the mental deficit that allowed the behavior to emerge in the first place.
It would depend upon how discipline is administered - if a person feels that the thing is unjust and extremely excessive, anger and resentment builds up, vengeance is desired. If it is recognized to be justly done, and in line with the transgression it would cause a readjustment. Unfortunately, I was victim of mean spirited punishment, though in this case it wasn't even corporeal. I still resent the high handedness some 50 years later.

You can expect the recipient of violence to grow up to see violence as a legitimate method of persuasion.
Well, it is. Police, prisons, the military, etc. all use it legally, and excessively many times.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It would depend upon how discipline is administered
There evidence of numerous studies do not support that conclusion. There is "it depends." It doesn't work to deter unwanted behaviors in children. All it teaches them is "what mamma don't know won't hurt." If anything, it makes them better at covering their tracks than getting them to not do that again.
Well, it is. Police, prisons, the military, etc. all use it legally, and excessively many times.
And yet often we hear complaints of the police being wrongfully violent (police are supposed to only resort to violence when it comes to protecting themselves and others). And clearly there is a huge difference between military violence and doing violence to someone for doing something you disapprove of.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If we worked to install civic responsibility and a social conscience we might not need so many police. If we taught people to think for themselves and respect principle rather than authority, convincing people to round up the local Jews or march into Poland or Iraq might be more difficult.

Grandliseur

There evidence of numerous studies do not support that conclusion. There is "it depends." It doesn't work to deter unwanted behaviors in children. All it teaches them is "what mamma don't know won't hurt." If anything, it makes them better at covering their tracks than getting them to not do that again.

And yet often we hear complaints of the police being wrongfully violent (police are supposed to only resort to violence when it comes to protecting themselves and others). And clearly there is a huge difference between military violence and doing violence to someone for doing something you disapprove of.
Let me use an example to illustrate how I think violence works positively:
(just saw on the news a few days ago someone being viciously attacked by a young gangster.)
I walk through this wicked person's infested territory. As he attacks me because of what he thinks I posses, I use my superhuman powers to beat him to a pulp. I leave.

I come again a few days later, this time he brings backup, and tries to get me again, I beat them all up to within an inch of their lives.

This happens one more time, I break a few of their bones, and leave them in major pain.
-----
What do you think happens if after all attempts on my person end up this way.
Will they stupidly continue their attacks or will they come to leave me alone and go after an easier target! (not speaking about guns - just trying to use this example as just that an example)

Violence works as a deterrent..
Though I am not superhuman, I am experienced with violence and how these people think.
---------------

So, while I agree that it would be really nice if we didn't have to resort to violence, I think it is a must to use it. Bullies in classrooms need to be taught a lesson of pain according to their behavior.

At times, teachers have a thankless job, a really hard job. There needs to be times of pain, but strictly controlled, taught by experts so as not to be misused, perhaps enforced by special enforcers.

Grandliseur

If we worked to install civic responsibility and a social conscience we might not need so many police. If we taught people to think for themselves and respect principle rather than authority, convincing people to round up the local Jews or march into Poland or Iraq might be more difficult.
I do not know what makes the difference in some countries. Some countries have big problems, others have few. You walk about in their big cities and people are friendly, no worries about being mugged, or violated as a rule. You still have rude people at times, but the difference is telling.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Though I am not superhuman, I am experienced with violence and how these people think.
What you describe is called self defense. You're allowed to do it. Unless you're Jesus, most people have no objections to it, and to a degree necessary to protect yourself you are legally entitled to it.
What it does not describe is corporeal punishment as a behavioral deterrent. Nor did you acknowledge that those gangsters will most likely find themselves another target.

So, while I agree that it would be really nice if we didn't have to resort to violence, I think it is a must to use it. Bullies in classrooms need to be taught a lesson of pain according to their behavior.
Being violent with bullies will not get them to quit being bullies. Chances are good the bully has already been subjected to physical and/or emotional abuse, and they are taking it out on others, and their behaviors were learned by watching others do it, with a chance they were bullied themselves. Being violent with them won't teach them anything, or get them to see the error in their ways.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Schools are supposed to be Teaching our children. What are they teaching children when they attempt to alter another's actions by inflicting physical pain??? Is this really what we want to teach the children? I think educated people can come up with much better ways along with much better lessons to teach.
Done right it's an important lesson. Even as adults, the police will inflict pain if you don't follow the rules.

Grandliseur

I do not know what makes the difference in some countries. Some countries have big problems, others have few. You walk about in their big cities and people are friendly, no worries about being mugged, or violated as a rule. You still have rude people at times, but the difference is telling.
Unless you're Jesus, most people have no objections to it
I don't think he objected to self-defense. However, as to his death, he knew it was necessary.

In one other case, it seemed he was protected from deadly intent from above. That is not what we have most of the time.
Being violent with bullies will not get them to quit being bullies.
No, but they sure as hell will understand that they don't want to mess with 'you' even once more. They will continue to target other ones they think weak.

Even most mentally ill people respect violence, they have in most cases a sense of self preservation.

If I can make them stay the hell away from me and mine, I have accomplished something. Not a change of heart, but a change of heart where it comes to bugging me. In the classroom, it makes for a peaceful class if they know that there is going to be pain in so and so teachers room if they misbehave badly, bully.

But, as I stated before, teachers should never be permitted to just punish as they please. It must be rigidly controlled.

Of course, I understand you don't agree. No problem! :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't think he objected to self-defense.
Matthew 5:39
No, but they sure as hell will understand that they don't want to mess with 'you' even once more. They will continue to target other ones they think weak.
This "target others" is why is doesn't work. You beat up a bully, and did nothing to actually address the behaviors of bullying.
Even most mentally ill people respect violence, they have in most cases a sense of self preservation.
Self preservation is not the same as using violence to teach someone a lesson.

Grandliseur

Ref post 53
Well, put.
However, this one is not about self defense. It is about someone challenging, or offending a person.
Difficult Bible Passages: Matthew 5:39 - CultureWatch
Quoting: "
And as most commentators recognise, when Jesus is talking about turning the other cheek, he means not so much a physical attack but a personal insult. That is the real issue that needs to be focused on as we seek to interpret this passage correctly. Indeed, it seems a legal context is especially in view here. As Robert Guelich comments, this text is mainly about not seeking “legal vindication against an evil person”.

He continues, “This understanding becomes most obvious when one examines the Old Testament background of the premise. Of the three Old Testament parallels, Deut 19:21 fits 5:38-39a as though tailormade. . . . To oppose connotes legal opposition in court; an evil person refers to one’s adversary who is in the wrong.” . . .

As Craig Blomberg explains, “Striking a person on the right cheek suggests a backhanded slap from a typically right-handed aggressor and was a characteristic Jewish form of insult. Jesus tells us not to trade such insults even if it means receiving more. In no sense does v. 39 require Christians to subject themselves or others to physical danger or abuse, nor does it bear directly on the pacifism-just war debate.”

And the verse about giving your cloak as well, also speaks to a legal context. Blomberg again: “Verse 40 is clearly limited to a legal context. One must be willing to give as collateral an outer garment – more than what the law could require, which was merely an inner garment (cf. Exod 22:26-27).”

So at best these several verses refer to legal non-resistance by an individual who has received personal insult, or perhaps injury. It has nothing to do, for example, with using the law to help prevent a brothel or drug cartel opening up in your neighbourhood.

It has nothing to do with the right of the state to use force to deal with wrongdoers, both on a national and international level. And it has nothing to do with being some wimpy doormat who allows everyone to run roughshod over you.
"
End of quote

Self preservation is not the same as using violence to teach someone a lesson.
In classrooms it is not a lesson that is sought but peace to teach, peace for others who want to learn. The violent ones shall be treated violently. The ones who prevent the function of the classroom shall be pacified, one way or the other.

But, we will just have to agree to disagree. :cool::oops:

Twilight Hue

There shouldn't be physical punishment at all. There is no evidence that it achieves the desired results (but rather more often has undesirable outcomes and effects on a child), and it makes absolutely no sense to uphold it as a legal entitlement to strike a child when the very same action would be labeled as assault if one adult were to do it to another. Children need that legal protection more than adults do.
What happens to an adult if he refuses to comply with the law?

The police will hit him if resisting.

To teach rebellious undisciplined children actions without consequences is the norm, is pretty ill-advised.

I think there's a difference between engaging in types of corporal punishments and outright abuse.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What happens to an adult if he refuses to comply with the law?
They aren't attacked, not unless they become hostile and aggressive themselves. Most of the time there is no violence at all when an adult does not comply with the law and police arrest them.
The police will hit him if resisting.
Do you think it's getting hit by the police that deters such a behavior, or the nasty penalties that come along with attempting to resist arrest the deter this behavior? That you might get hit doing it, or that pretty much every legal consultant will strongly advice to cooperate because being uncooperative and attempting to resist is just going to make things much harder on yourself?
To teach rebellious undisciplined children actions without consequences is the norm, is pretty ill-advised.
Great assumption to read into my position.
I think there's a difference between engaging in types of corporal punishments and outright abuse.
Perhaps, but there is still the fact that scientific evidence does not support the idea that corporal punishment is effective in deterring unwanted behaviors, but rather instead puts them at a higher risk for one of several negative outcomes. It's been a hugely studied topic, probably about as rigorously and frequently as the studies behind the alleged link between childhood vaccines and autism.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, put.
However, this one is not about self defense. It is about someone challenging, or offending a person.
Difficult Bible Passages: Matthew 5:39 - CultureWatch
Quoting: "
And as most commentators recognise, when Jesus is talking about turning the other cheek, he means not so much a physical attack but a personal insult. That is the real issue that needs to be focused on as we seek to interpret this passage correctly. Indeed, it seems a legal context is especially in view here. As Robert Guelich comments, this text is mainly about not seeking “legal vindication against an evil person”.
If you are sued, that does not make the person who sued you an evil person - rather it means it is likely you did something against the person suing you. Jesus said do not resist evil. If you are struck, turn the other check. If you're sued by law for your coat, give them your cloak. If someone compels you to walk a mile, go with him twain. If someone asks to borrow of thee, turn him not away. One of those deals directly with being attacked, by someone considered evil, and it was said to not resist them but turn the other cheek. The rest, especially being sued by law, cannot be said to be inherently evil.
In classrooms it is not a lesson that is sought but peace to teach, peace for others who want to learn. The violent ones shall be treated violently. The ones who prevent the function of the classroom shall be pacified, one way or the other.
That does absolutely nothing to address why violence was used in the first place, nor does it attempt to snuff those behaviors out. Rather, as you yourself have also mentioned, they will look for another target. Rather than making someone else the target a goal and outcome, the effort should be to extinguish those behaviors entirely instead of passing the problem of that onto someone else.

Bird123

Done right it's an important lesson. Even as adults, the police will inflict pain if you don't follow the rules.

As I see, there is no right way to attempt to alter another's actions and choices by inflicting physical pain. Parents must outthink their children.

The easiest method to alter another's actions and choices is through inflicting pain, however the easiest is not always the best. How many people hate police simply because they experienced physical pain through them? With society accepting this as right or normal, how many people have learned that if you do not get what you want that the answer is to inflict pain on others in order that you coerce them into giving you what you want?

What are they teaching the children and the future society?

Is easier really better. I think the results matter the most. There are better ways. Example: Police have learned that with hostage situations that it's not better to race in there with physical violence. Most can be talked down given enough time. Does it take more time and effort to do this? Sure it does, however the Results end up much much better. What else in society could be improved with Thinking like this? I think it would surprise us all.

Twilight Hue

As I see, there is no right way to attempt to alter another's actions and choices by inflicting physical pain. Parents must outthink their children.

The easiest method to alter another's actions and choices is through inflicting pain, however the easiest is not always the best. How many people hate police simply because they experienced physical pain through them? With society accepting this as right or normal, how many people have learned that if you do not get what you want that the answer is to inflict pain on others in order that you coerce them into giving you what you want?

What are they teaching the children and the future society?

Is easier really better. I think the results matter the most. There are better ways. Example: Police have learned that with hostage situations that it's not better to race in there with physical violence. Most can be talked down given enough time. Does it take more time and effort to do this? Sure it does, however the Results end up much much better. What else in society could be improved with Thinking like this? I think it would surprise us all.
Then we should be like the police hit only as a last resort.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Let me use an example to illustrate how I think violence works positively:
(just saw on the news a few days ago someone being viciously attacked by a young gangster.)
I walk through this wicked person's infested territory. As he attacks me because of what he thinks I posses, I use my superhuman powers to beat him to a pulp. I leave.

I come again a few days later, this time he brings backup, and tries to get me again, I beat them all up to within an inch of their lives.

This happens one more time, I break a few of their bones, and leave them in major pain.
-----
What do you think happens if after all attempts on my person end up this way.
Will they stupidly continue their attacks or will they come to leave me alone and go after an easier target! (not speaking about guns - just trying to use this example as just that an example)

Violence works as a deterrent..
---------------

At times, teachers have a thankless job, a really hard job. There needs to be times of pain, but strictly controlled, taught by experts so as not to be misused, perhaps enforced by special enforcers.
Forgive me for saying so, but this is a terrible post, and very badly argued. To begin with (as @Shadow Wolf pointed out above), the thread is about corporal punishment of children, not self-defence against bullies or enemies. And bullies and enemies don't learn from pain to be better persons, they learn to be subversive and look for less overt ways to accomplish their nefarious ends. (As the old wisdom goes, don't wound somebody you're terrified of -- you have to kill them to be safe.)

And for the record, I am very familiar with abuse as a child, to the point of nearly dying twice, and years in child therapy.

In valid human relationships, violence does no good whatever. If your husband or wife cannot understand why something they do hurts you so badly -- or perhaps understands but is unwilling to alter the behaviour -- violence will only hasten the end of the relationship. Often in ways that hurts everybody involved worse than they were hurt before. Such violence is the last refuge of the person who simply cannot communicate well enough to get the message across, or is faced with somebody who doesn't value the relationship anyway. And violence can do NOTHING to ameliorate either.