• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnosticism and Thelema?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I guess my question is how they're related? What Gnostic thought does Thelema hold?

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
The Gnostic angle of Thelema has at its core the goal of Knowledge and Conversation of one's Holy Guardian Angel.

The HGA is a literary term used to describe the soul's original motivation for incarnation or the perfected version of one's Self. Some Thelemic mystics choose to view the HGA as an objective entity that they try and communicate with through meditation and ritual. Only when the mind is completely silent can the voice of the HGA be heard.

The Gnostic aspect comes from the mystical journey of attaining Knowledge and Conversation of the HGA - described in Thelemic texts as the ultimate mystical ecstasy. This can only be a personal gnosis - it can't be described, though ideas about it are eluded to in poetry.

The first stage in this gnostic journey is to "Know Thyself". this is more complicated than it seems as it involves knowing and subsequently controlling every thought, word and action, which requires a great deal of introspection and self analysis.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
The first stage in this gnostic journey is to "Know Thyself". this is more complicated than it seems as it involves knowing and subsequently controlling every thought, word and action, which requires a great deal of introspection and self analysis.

Sounds similar to the Setian Xeper which is a reason why I personally find Thelema to be an essential guide on my Path of self-directed self-creation.

Xeper em Ma'at.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!