• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I guess you are a pessimist. I'm sorry to hear you have no hope. Of the two, I'll take optimism any day. If we're really going out soon (I don't think we are), at least I'll go out with a smile instead of a face frozen with fear.

This is like the pinacle of selfishness.

Ignorance is bliss.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Are you aware the the devil, and who did what in this world, was not fully revealed until Jesus rose from the dead? Also you may want to look up the Hebrew idiom of permission. We must understand things from their perspective, not ours. The Bible wasn't written last year in New York or Los Angeles. I trust you can imagine their mode of thinking was much different than our own. Different culture entirely, different figures of speech, idioms, world view, and much more. All that can be learned, and it is in fact critical to arrive at a true understanding of the scriptures. Any ancient Eastern book is the same way. Shouldn't be that hard to see.

Would you say most of your understanding of the scriptures comes from what others (priest, pastor) told you, or from your own independent study, like the Bereans in Acts 17?

Are you aware that i use the bible as written not as massages my ego, not interpreted to suit my own personal belief, not using a time machine to jump back and forth to make coherent messages that i agree with.

Are you aware that there are over 200 different English language versions of the bible, each subtly or not so subtly different from the others and more being published all the time so who knows. Maybe the latest version (or previous versions) were written in New York or LA, good strawman though...

Are you aware that the bible was not compiled until over 300 years after JCs death?

Are you aware there are no remaining copies of that original bible so current bibles cannot be checked for accuracy.

Are you aware the the oldest complete bible is the vulgate, written just 80 years after the original so should one assume it is as close to the original as you are going to get or assume it is just as inaccurate as every other bible in existence.

No, i would say my understanding of the bible comes from reading 3 different versions cover to cover and books/passages from several other bibles. Name me one believer who has done that.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I asked that question in Were You an Atheist™ before You became a Theist?.
So it is possible to go from atheist to believer - but not through reason. Note that none of the former atheists could name their rational reasons to be an atheist and then refute it. They just stopped to be rational.

I was considering a new thread on the subject but I'll skip it if there is little chance of a rational answer.

It is still my belief though that those who claim to have been atheist were not. Perhaps agnostic or more likely, annoyed with their god so denying him their devotion and mistakenly believing that's what atheism was all about?

rrobs

The reason we are destroying the world we live in is in part due to absolutism interpretation of that book you love to quote. Ignorance of what is happening is allowing the eventual extinction of most life on earth including human extinction. The sad thing about it is I have even heard from Christians, that cannot see beyond the scriptures they read, that they are welcoming the end of the world. Ignorance is just plain dangerous.
You talk about ignorance and then give the scriptures as the cause of all of the problems in this world. Such simplistic thinking doe not suit someone with even an ounce of intelligence. Do you want to rethink that?

rrobs

Are you aware that i use the bible as written not as massages my ego, not interpreted to suit my own personal belief, not using a time machine to jump back and forth to make coherent messages that i agree with.

Are you aware that there are over 200 different English language versions of the bible, each subtly or not so subtly different from the others and more being published all the time so who knows. Maybe the latest version (or previous versions) were written in New York or LA, good strawman though...

Are you aware that the bible was not compiled until over 300 years after JCs death?

Are you aware there are no remaining copies of that original bible so current bibles cannot be checked for accuracy.

Are you aware the the oldest complete bible is the vulgate, written just 80 years after the original so should one assume it is as close to the original as you are going to get or assume it is just as inaccurate as every other bible in existence.

No, i would say my understanding of the bible comes from reading 3 different versions cover to cover and books/passages from several other bibles. Name me one believer who has done that.
All that insight by the tender age of 14? You're not far behind Jesus at his age. Something isn't right here.

ChristineM

Premium Member
All that insight by the tender age of 14? You're not far behind Jesus at his age. Something isn't right here.

My goodness, if you understood what you have just written i don't think you would have embarrassed yourself

Shows of course that you dont read what I write but what you wish i i h written.

So sad

rrobs

What did the devil do in this world which wasn't fully revealed?

And why wasn't it revealed what the devil did in this world, and is that why Moses & Noah & Abraham & David etc never went to heaven (John 3:13) even though David was his god's begotten son (Psalm 2:7)?
You want me to do all your homework?

rrobs

My goodness, if you understood what you have just written i don't think you would have embarrassed yourself.
Wrong on both accounts. I understand what I wrote, and there is no embarrassment. I actually think my post was insightful and informative.

Shows of course that you dont read what I write but what you wish i i h written.

So sad
Did you not tell me you quit the church at 14?

Besides the OP is about God, not me. I'm not nearly as interesting as God. You can stop your psychoanalysis any time now. :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Wrong on both accounts. I understand what I wrote, and there is no embarrassment. I actually think my post was insightful and informative.

That explains so much, ignorance and mockery is insightful and informative to you

Did you not tell me you quit the church at 14

Yes and did i say when i studied the bible? No you just made it up to mock

Besides the OP is about God, not me. I'm not nearly as interesting as God. You can stop your psychoanalysis any time now.

I will quote from your OP
I don't see

The op reads very much like it is you giving your opinion

Why do you consider pointing out straw men and mockery to bes psychoanalysis?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wild Fox said:

No the earth will out exist humans with some other form of life dominating because we cannot see simple concepts as climate change.

Who told you that? Or is it just something you dreamed up?
Just look at history. Rapid climate change -- from greenhouse gasses, continental drift, runaway vulcanism, or, once, from a large falling rock -- has wiped out much of life five or six times in the past , and the planet took tens of thousands of years to recover and establish a new climax system.
Now it's happening again, at a furious rate (from a geological perspective).

This time it's a planetary infection with a pathogen breeding out of control, way beyond the natural carrying capacity of the planet. Like the Plague bacterium, its success is its downfall. It will kill or seriously disable its host.

But, as before, the planet will survive, but the bio-web supporting it will be something new -- and take tens of thousands of years to develop.

Last edited:

rrobs

That explains so much, ignorance and mockery is insightful and informative to you

Yes and did i say when i studied the bible? No you just made it up to mock

I will quote from your OP

Why do you consider pointing out straw men and mockery to bes psychoanalysis?
OK.

rrobs

Christians speak definitively and they are criticized for being dogmatic. Apparently they can't give opinions either. Would you wish we just all keep quite? If so, where's the inclusiveness?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Christians speak definitively and they are criticized for being dogmatic. Apparently they can't give opinions either. Would you wish we just all keep quite? If so, where's the inclusiveness?

You made a statement that contradicted your own OP
If you can't stand criticism of your errors its so easy to hide behind christianity!!! Right?

rrobs

It is this kind of religious fanaticism which leads to irresponsible behaviour which is greatly damaging for both our generations as future ones.
It's a lack of belief in God that causes all of those things.

I guess we are at an impasse. All meaningful discussion has ceased.

rrobs

This has nothing to do with natural cycles and everything with humans poluting the atmosphere with greenhouse gasses..

The bible is irrelevant to the actual data.

Take care and get educated.
Have you read the research from scientists who don't believe GW as it is being presented to the masses? Dogmatism is a two way street, you know.

rrobs

You don't "know". You believe. And you believe a priori. Religiously. On faith. While completely ignoring all the evidence that flies right in the face of your beliefs.
Seriously? There's nobody out their who is afraid of GW? You are talking out of emotion, not reality. You just want to argue for arguments sake.