• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming: Important?

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
I now pose the question which asks if the verification of global warming is even necessary for people to still be concerned about the environment and pollution. Too much bickering is done about global warming and not the environment itself.

Personally, I don't need to quarrel over whether global warming is true or false before I decide that we need to act on our environment. Aren't there reasons enough?

Isn't switching to renewable resources like solar and wind energy important not just because it cuts down carbon emissions, but because we, as a world, need to stop relying on resources like coal and oil that will soon be used up?

I'm not thinking about the day when the polar ice caps melt. I'm thinking about the day in which, no matter where you go, the polluted air stings your lungs like it does in the heavily industrial China. I'm thinking about the day where every building is thick with soot like those in London.

Let's face it: not a person has had a breath of real fresh air since over a hundred years ago before the Industrial Revolution. The danger of life as we know it is not about Al Gore, SUVs and polar bears. It's so much more.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Yet another environmental thread. These never go well.
I now pose the question which asks if the verification of global warming is even necessary for people to still be concerned about the environment and pollution. Too much bickering is done about global warming and not the environment itself.
This is going to be forced back to global warming anyhow.
The earth is warming. Nobody denies that. Its a question of whether we are affecting it
Personally, I don't need to quarrel over whether global warming is true or false before I decide that we need to act on our environment. Aren't there reasons enough?
Depends on what you want to do
Isn't switching to renewable resources like solar and wind energy important not just because it cuts down carbon emissions, but because we, as a world, need to stop relying on resources like coal and oil that will soon be used up?
This is going to be a very convulted discussion
But I agree with the general principal of 'be good the environment for the sake of the environment'.

But idealism gets us nowhere in a hurry.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
I'm with this. Whether humankind is predominantly responsible for global warming, or even if its really happening, doesn't change the need for real sustainable development and elimination of pollution. Its all gone so so wrong. :(

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Cutting coal and oil out of our life is a very real thing, and it is in progress.
Irrelevant.
Try switching to all alternative energy while not hacking off huge parts of existing infrastructure.

The short answer to this is 'You can't'
At least not with current technology.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Irrelevant.
I fail to see how. [Edit] - You said that idealism will get us nowhere, as if nothing has taken place to put the idealism of helping the environment into action. I gave you an example.

Try switching to all alternative energy while not hacking off huge parts of existing infrastructure.
I trust that people are intelligent enough to not try it all in one big sweep, as you propose. There is such thing as moderation.

The short answer to this is 'You can't'
Certainly not in the way you proposed!

But with time, transition, and moderation, it can happen.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I fail to see how. [Edit] - You said that idealism will get us nowhere, as if nothing has taken place to put the idealism of helping the environment into action. I gave you an example.

I trust that people are intelligent enough to not try it all in one big sweep, as you propose. There is such thing as moderation.

Certainly not in the way you proposed!

But with time, transition, and moderation, it can happen.
Then you are not an idealistic moron like the majority of the modern green movement.
This is not a real 'debate' at all. You have suggested we not dump poisonous crap into our atmosphere.

Do you actually expect to get a single person to disagree?

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Then you are not an idealistic moron like the majority of the modern green movement.
Why thank you.

This is not a real 'debate' at all. You have suggested we not dump poisonous crap into our atmosphere.
That is in part my point, but my real point is that global warming, whether it is real or not, is not important in the slightest, and I think that can bring some disagreement.

Do you actually expect to get a single person to disagree?
With helping the environment? No.
With looking beyond global warming? Perhaps.

there have been studys that show that the cost to pospone (humans, cows al slowly polute) the polution could be used to cure many diseases so no one is in a real hurry to pospone the inevetable for a decade instead of more money for the things that can be helped

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
there have been studys that show that the cost to pospone (humans, cows al slowly polute) the polution could be used to cure many diseases so no one is in a real hurry to pospone the inevetable for a decade instead of more money for the things that can be helped
"Justice too long delayed is justice denied."

There is no point is spending the money to cure disease while the world itself is at stake. Strands of certain diseases will just mutate and take another decade to cure, and a polluted world will ruin our health to high Hell.

Believe it or not, our medicine is getting exponentionally better, and if you haven't realized it, our world is not.

You tell me where we should put the focus for the next decade.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The large corporations that produce a lot of pollution and waste would lose profits from the expenses that clean up and reduction would cost them, so they get their politician buddies to fight the environmental laws put forth to combat global warming and such, who in turn get Joe Sixpack to believe it's some kind of hoax or conspiracy. Isn't it a wise idea to sustain our biosphere and ecosystem, since it in turn sustains us? Does the desire to breathe clean air, drink clean water and eat clean food make one a tree hugging commie?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I don't think Global warming is neccessary to care about the environment.

Personally I think global warming is part of Earth's natural cycle. The earth has ice ages, the earth has warm phases. I think humans are very arrogant to think we have so much influence that we can change the global climate.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Look, I do agree with what most people are saying on this thread. I don't think global warming is actually man-made and I don't hink it is happening right now anyway. But we do need to decrease our dependence on fossil fuels. It's just a matter of running out of supplies.

texan1

I'm with this. Whether humankind is predominantly responsible for global warming, or even if its really happening, doesn't change the need for real sustainable development and elimination of pollution. Its all gone so so wrong. :(
- I agree.

Whether or not we are causing Global Warming, we are causing problems. I mean, most of us take at least one big bag of trash to the curb every week for example. Multiply that by our population and well, that's kind of disgusting. Seems like common sense that we should work on cutting down our wasteful behaviors. I think it can also be considered a moral issue when you look at the fact that our country dumps trash and toxic waste in third world countries where they have no environmental regulations.