• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving veg. a go again, and some other musings

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I feel the same way. I think it's a sin to waste food. If you met me you'd find it hard to believe I was a picky eater as a child. :D My parents would do everything and anything, including threats, promises, bribes, blackmail, to get me to eat. My father tried psychology on me (you can probably guess now that it backfired). He'd say "there are so many starving children in the world who would love to have the food you're refusing". I'd say "well if I eat it they'll still be starving". That could not go unanswered and would invariably earn me a crack across the chops. :D

My nephews would push the envelope even further with my brother by saying "Yeah? Name one" when he'd use "There are so many starving children... ". :D

Beet greens, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens are all edible. I've had collard greens. They are strong and have to be blanched before cooking, and have to be heavily seasoned. So does broccoli rabe and kale. They're slightly bitter even after blanching.

How-to-Cook-Broccoli-Rabe-2.jpg

Actually, all this is making me kind of hungry. :p
I will do any and all greens ... Chinese import stores have lots of rarer ones for here in Canuckistan.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I will do any and all greens ... Chinese import stores have lots of rarer ones for here in Canuckistan.

I have to expand my horizons and become more adventurous in the kitchen.

1xahjq.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have to expand my horizons and become more adventurous in the kitchen.

1xahjq.jpg
Kale is my favorite for another reason besides nutrition ... it's really hardy, so it's the only fresh organic garden vegetable here just outside my door in late October, early November.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Kale is my favorite for another reason besides nutrition ... it's really hardy, so it's the only fresh organic garden vegetable here just outside my door in late October, early November.

I'm going to try it again. Some things take a few attempts. A good dish is escarole and beans. My mother used to make it. It's an old Italian thing. Just saute the escarole with garlic and olive oil, add white cannellini beans, simmer a bit. You can add some veg. broth or stock. It's great with grated cheese on top, and to dip good crusty Italian bread. :)

Yikes, I'm hungry again. :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Tomato leaves too ? :Surprised:
Kashmiris love collard greens. In one there should be a lot of soup (Hak), in the other none (Swachal).

Laddu1

Good luck and I hope it works out for you <3

Check out recipees of indian cuisine ! You'd be surprised how easy some pure veg meals Can be to cook: palak paneer for exemple (paneer is love, paneer is life)

And with meals like a good old thali you're assured to have everything checked nutrition wise.

Keep your health in check tho eh ? :0 Hope you feel a bit better these days

Aum Namah Shivaya
@Nyingjé Tso "paneer is love, paneer is life" !! I know I reply 3 years later haha but this phrase is *chefs kiss*