• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving veg. a go again, and some other musings

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
JayaBholenath, welcome back Jaya. Long time, no see. :)
Sounds good -- but I never understood why anyone would find going veg problematic.
confused-smiley-013.gif
The main culprit is the tongue, whether in food or in communication.
Point #2 notwithstanding, a little part of me is still feeling a little guilty for not being completely veg. yet and wearing the mālā.
Don't feel guilty. Surrender to God - Prapatti. Don't claim doership of your actions. He will do what it takes.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Me, I make a couple dozen burritos and freeze them, or I make a 12 quart pot of stew on Sunday and eat all week. Lazy man's fast food.

What do you put in your stew? I'm thinking of something like a 16 bean thick soup/stew, maybe (sweet) potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips to punch it up. Gassy as hell. :D

I was thinking of burritos this morning.Aldi's used to have some bangin' bean burritos for like $1 each. I haven't been there in years. It might be worth running over there to get a boatload. Wegman's has samosas shaped like burritos. They're pretty good for $3.49 +/-

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do you put in your stew? I'm thinking of something like a 16 bean thick soup/stew, maybe (sweet) potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips to punch it up. Gassy as hell. :D

I was thinking of burritos this morning.Aldi's used to have some bangin' bean burritos for like $1 each. I haven't been there in years. It might be worth running over there to get a boatload. Wegman's has samosas shaped like burritos. They're pretty good for $3.49 +/-
Recipes vary with what I have at hand. Usually I start with pressure cooked pinto beans, then I add potatoes, broccoli or Brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, green peas, maybe maize, and whatever other veggies I have. Broth with miso or chile or whatever flavorings strike my fancy at the time.

Burritos I just make with vegetarian tortillas, refried beans and whatever else comes to hand -- green chile, onion, &c.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Sambar ... vary it with more lentils.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sambar ... vary it with more lentils.

I made sambar once. I’ll buy it. :D. It was pitiful. But that’s a good idea... get a basic recipe and punch it up with other ingredients.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I could have put this in the Journals or Personal Living areas but since it's almost exclusively Hinduism-related, I think few non-Hindus would be able to relate, especially given the spiritual nature of it.

So yeah, I'm trying veg. again. It's been close to, if not past, a week since I had mammal flesh. I figure that saying "mammal flesh" covers anything with hair, fur, nipples or mammary glands (platypuses have mammary glands but no nipples).

I've had fish and a couple of eggs. I don't think it will be difficult to give up eggs because I'm not all that crazy about them anyway. And I'm tired of chicken (except chicken parm). Seafood, especially salmon and shrimp are another matter and a challenge, though I don't have them all that often.

I found it's really not that hard to put veg. meal choices together. You just have to think outside the box. Last night I made a small sub sandwich of sliced provolone and Swiss cheese, sliced tomato, and an eggplant relish. It was quite filling, albeit a little high in fat.

Possibly under the heading of TMI, someone suggested to me during some conversations, that I try brahmacharya for 1 week. The person suggested I combine it with strict (I suppose lacto-)vegetarianism for 1 week. This may be difficult, which I guess is the point :D given that I have little discipline and willpower. I'll probably start (stop? o_O) Sunday.

It's time to clean up my act and get my spiritual **** together. Wish me luck.
Good luck.
These days, veganism and vegetarianism is so prolific, you can even buy vegan cheese and sour cream from the supermarket!

I'm a devout meat eater. That said, there's a fast food place near me called Zambrero. I like to call it "white man's Mexican." Because it's essentially Mexican food but designed for a gora pallet. My favourite is a chikito (small burrito) with white rice, spicy cauliflower, veg, cheese and sour cream. Pretty decently priced. They even have entirely vegan options now, with the aforementioned vegan cheese and sour cream.

Cooking makes all the difference, imo.
Like I'm fine with steamed veges, a bit bland sure. But I can eat them happily enough. Though I absolutely hate steamed cauliflower with a burning raging passion. It's like plastic broccoli. :persevere: But marinate it in some spices or cook in it a cheesey bake and I'll eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Good luck.
These days, veganism and vegetarianism is so prolific, you can even buy vegan cheese and sour cream from the supermarket!

I'm a devout meat eater. That said, there's a fast food place near me called Zambrero. I like to call it "white man's Mexican." Because it's essentially Mexican food but designed for a gora pallet. My favourite is a chikito (small burrito) with white rice, spicy cauliflower, veg, cheese and sour cream. Pretty decently priced. They even have entirely vegan options now, with the aforementioned vegan cheese and sour cream.

Cooking makes all the difference, imo.
Like I'm fine with steamed veges, a bit bland sure. But I can eat them happily enough. Though I absolutely hate steamed cauliflower with a burning raging passion. It's like plastic broccoli. :persevere: But marinate it in some spices or cook in it a cheesey bake and I'll eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Believe you me, I’m not doing this because I love vegetables. Au contraire mon dude... I hate the ****ers. My mother saw to that. She would cook them to the point that even a molecular biologist couldn’t extract DNA and tell you what species they were. :D.

But I can’t eat them raw, except for carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, and a few others. In fact, I can’t eat those cooked. Blech! My favorite is probably eggplant, any which way. I made baingan barta for one Christmas luncheon at work. Everyone loved it. Or they were just being polite. :(

I’ve actually thought about this for years, even before becoming Hindu. I have to avoid soy in anything other than small amounts because I take thyroid medication. Soy interferes with it. Besides, when it comes to my dairy... Μολων Λαβέ “Come take!” :p

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Believe you me, I’m not doing this because I love vegetables. Au contraire mon dude... I hate the ****ers. My mother saw to that. She would cook them to the point that even a molecular biologist couldn’t extract DNA and tell you what species they were. :D.

But I can’t eat them raw, except for carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, and a few others. In fact, I can’t eat those cooked. Blech! My favorite is probably eggplant, any which way. I made baingan barta for one Christmas luncheon at work. Everyone loved it. Or they were just being polite. :(

I’ve actually thought about this for years, even before becoming Hindu. I have to avoid soy in anything other than small amounts because I take thyroid medication. Soy interferes with it. Besides, when it comes to my dairy... Μολων Λαβέ “Come take!” :p
Thankfully, milk is usually considered sacred among most if not all sects. So you should be free to consume as much as you please
Lol

I find that the Mexicans, Indians and the Asians know how to cook veggies for even the most ardent of detractors. Like I said, it’s all down to the recipe.

For me growing up there was a sharp contrast between the flavours of my mothers cooking and that of my fathers. Mum could hide any vegetable she wanted, because the curry would make it either spicy or indistinguishable, even for a fussy kid.
Dad just chucked them in a pot, steamed them and threw on some salt and pepper. Fine if you want something quick and easy. Not so much if you were after the flavour lol

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We get only one here.

220px-Cross_section_of_pumpkin.jpg
I've always been amazed by how varieties of food are also geocentric. There was only one pumpkin in Mauritius as well. There are several here. One in particular bugs me. It's the Hallowe'en one, and it bugs me because it's food that gets wasted. Many folks can't cognise its food use, although pumpkin pie is common.And it is dirt cheap, pardon the farmer pun.

In Mauritius there was a white cucumber that I loved to eat. Can't get it here. Countries actually have laws limiting seed movement. So much for diversity.

Then there is the geocentric use ... beets and carrots are examples. In varying places the tops are either utilised as food, or tossed. When the Nepalese folks here went after the pumpkin vine ends, I was surprised. We don't eat that here. I have now though.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh, US and perhaps Canada too don't hesitate to waste food. Here, wasting food is considered a sacrilege to the Provider (God) and the food itself. After one has eaten, one does 'Namaskaram' (to food and to the deity) and then only leaves the seat.
I have come to the conclusion that any part, any vegetation (if it is not poisonous), can be cooked in a curry and eaten.

Restrictions on foreign shrubs and trees are necessary. They can cause environmental havoc like Cactus and Parthenium (Congress weed), or Brown trout have done in India.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh, US and perhaps Canada too don't hesitate to waste food. Here, wasting food is considered a sacrilege to the Provider (God) and the food itself. After one has eaten, one does 'Namaskaram' (to food and to the deity) and then only leaves the seat.
I have come to the conclusion that any part, any vegetation (if it is not poisonous), can be cooked in a curry and eaten.
That's a good conclusion. So what about beat greens? My Tamil friends don't eat them. What about in Delhi? Do you even get them?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I find that the Mexicans, Indians and the Asians know how to cook veggies for even the most ardent of detractors. Like I said, it’s all down to the recipe.

With that I agree! I detest broccoli but for some reason I like the way Chinese make it. Maybe it's the recipe and flavorings.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I feel the same way. I think it's a sin to waste food. If you met me you'd find it hard to believe I was a picky eater as a child. :D My parents would do everything and anything, including threats, promises, bribes, blackmail, to get me to eat. My father tried psychology on me (you can probably guess now that it backfired). He'd say "there are so many starving children in the world who would love to have the food you're refusing". I'd say "well if I eat it they'll still be starving". That could not go unanswered and would invariably earn me a crack across the chops. :D

My nephews would push the envelope even further with my brother by saying "Yeah? Name one" when he'd use "There are so many starving children... ". :D

That's a good conclusion. So what about beat greens? My Tamil friends don't eat them. What about in Delhi? Do you even get them?

I do not relish beet and family does not use beet greens, but I am sure they can be and are eaten. Spinach too has oxalic acid.

Beet greens, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens are all edible. I've had collard greens. They are strong and have to be blanched before cooking, and have to be heavily seasoned. So does broccoli rabe and kale. They're slightly bitter even after blanching.

How-to-Cook-Broccoli-Rabe-2.jpg

Actually, all this is making me kind of hungry. :p

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Pie is my favorite variety. :D I'll have to find another binder to replace the eggs. Maybe fruit pectin. :shrug:
Dad would get Mom to make turnip or carrot pie and pass it off as pumpkin to relatives, and then tell them after. Silly harmless prank.