• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give us your best pitch for what you believe

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Actually, that is far from the truth ;)
There is a truth we cannot argue and it is what is beneficial for us as living form in the universe.

Maybe. I'm not quite there yet on that belief, philosophically. I'm willing to fill in the gaps and say that there is, perhaps, but would also acknowledge that we may not have any idea what that truth is.

Segev Moran

Maybe. I'm not quite there yet on that belief, philosophically. I'm willing to fill in the gaps and say that there is, perhaps, but would also acknowledge that we may not have any idea what that truth is.
Is it true you want to live?
Is it true you want to be healthy?
I don't understand what you mean "truth" i think :(

Segev Moran

I don't really see that as truth, though. I see those two options as boolean data types likely generating a "yes".
Lol, look at it more as a float value where you most likely be closer to 1 than 0 ;)
So the truth (the measurable one) is that most of the human race wants to be healthy and live long life.
Is this something you can accept as true?

tigrers2019

I think the Bible, as an ancient document, paints the clearest picture, of what and who was behind the creation.
All of our questions are rooted in this. After years of study and listening to public debates by scholars on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that God does indeed exist. However, the evidence shows that He did not personally create the universe. The evidence, backed by what the Bible (especially the New Testament) teaches about God's morality, shows that the universe was put together by someone or something very insidious. This evidence is Natural Evolution. The pictures of our world are so deceptive. It looks so beautiful with no sign of danger at all. But to look closely we see creatures that lure prey in then quickly coil around it and slowly squeeze the life out of it then swallow it whole. Snakes and Kamono Dragons that bite their prey, let their poison and bacteria destroy enough of the prey' s cells so that they suffer terribly before they die and then be swallowed or their body be tore apart.

Humans are endowed with the realization that it is one of the most (if not the most) important reason he/she exists is to be morally consistent. We are instantly self-alerted when others are not, but need help to see when we ourselves are not. We know that this 'conscience did not arrive in us through Natural Evolution, it could only have originated outside of creation. We have found the guide to the completion of this metaphysical puzzle, in the Bible. Not in any other ancient document. This document has suffered from the temptation of some to add their own ideas to it, but these additions can be identified and avoided through diligent objective study.

Shad

Veteran Member
Religious or not, spiritual or not, whatever your beliefs are about the world, share what you find to be the most convincing argument(s) in support of it.

I use my own mind to determine my views instead of relying upon received opinions from the Bronze/Iron age.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Humans are endowed with the realization that it is one of the most (if not the most) important reason he/she exists is to be morally consistent. We are instantly self-alerted when others are not, but need help to see when we ourselves are not. We know that this 'conscience did not arrive in us through Natural Evolution, it could only have originated outside of creation. We have found the guide to the completion of this metaphysical puzzle, in the Bible. Not in any other ancient document. This document has suffered from the temptation of some to add their own ideas to it, but these additions can be identified and avoided through diligent objective study.

So you see no signs of any form of moral behaviour in other animal species - which might indicate our moral nature (and conscience) did actually arrive via evolution? If so, I suggest you do more studying of what we are increasingly seeing in other animal species - intelligence, social behaviour, and some evidence of morality. Unless of course you think humans just evolved differently from every other species and we can learn nothing from observing any of these.

izzy88

So you see no signs of any form of moral behaviour in other animal species - which might indicate our moral nature (and conscience) did actually arrive via evolution? If so, I suggest you do more studying of what we are increasingly seeing in other animal species - intelligence, social behaviour, and some evidence of morality. Unless of course you think humans just evolved differently from every other species and we can learn nothing from observing any of these.
Would you share some citations that support what you're arguing?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
From some of the videos - Frans de Waal's Pillars of Morality - Reciprocity, Fairness, Empathy, and Compassion seem to me a good basis for morality but no doubt will be argued over. Also, prototypical morality (that is, something existing before our full concept of morality) as mentioned by Jordan Peterson, seems to me what other animal species are likely to have, if they have anything akin to ours, and no doubt there will be large differences, given that they live in their world and not the human world. And this might be what existed in our long ago past - that is, a prototypical morality.

A bit of entertainment first - well the audience found it funny even if the monkey didn't - and this is given in a longer talk next:

Frans de Waal: Do Animals Have Morals?

VIDEO: Buffaloes rescue baby elephant from lions - Lowvelder

The Moral Status of Animals (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10892-018-9275-3

Animals can tell right from wrong

Are We Born Moral?

According to a prominent tradition of Western thinking, morality is a thin overlay covering human savagery. Human beings are bestial by nature and ethical codes are curbs on their brutish instincts that enable them to live together in relative peace. Morality is a restraint on natural human behavior. At the same time it is believed to be uniquely human. Only humans possess the intellectual powers that are needed to repress natural impulses, and so only they can be moral. Though this view can be found in many schools of thought, secular as well as religious, it is hard to spell out in any coherent fashion. If morality is a system of rules for the suppression of beastly behavior, where does it come from, and why have humans accepted it? How was it devised and imposed? Such questions are not easily answered, but when morality is assessed as it often is today according to some versions of Darwinian theory, the notion that it is a human construction without roots in our animal nature faces difficulties that are insoluble. If Darwinian theory is sound, morality in humans results at least in some part from evolutionary processes, and when they act as moral beings humans are displaying capacities they have in common with some other animals. Rather than suppressing their instincts, they are behaving naturally.

If one was to look impartially at the evidence coming out from animal studies, and unless one was to have an established view that humans are so different from other animal species, and that morality might only come from religion, then I suspect one cannot ignore the fact that we do share so much in common with other species and we will likely follow the same paths having some aspects of intelligence and social behaviour in common. One might question some examples, as many do, but the overall picture seems to suggest that many animals are more than just instinctively reacting to events.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
Religious or not, spiritual or not, whatever your beliefs are about the world, share what you find to be the most convincing argument(s) in support of it.

Faries and Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are the creations of man's imaginings. The concept of Faries and Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny is the creation of man's imaginings.

Gods are the creations of man's imaginings. The concept of gods is the creation of man's imaginings.

The only difference between the first group and the second group is that, for the first group, people eventually tell their children the truth, and, for the second group, people continue to further the fantasy.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I would say that the existence of God is perhaps the most important question to tangle with. If you don't already believe in God, don't you owe it to yourself to put in the effort, to truly put in the TIME and effort, to find out if there is a God? It may take you years of looking into various religions, trying to pray without knowing if anyone's listening, spending time in meditation, whatever it takes. But no other issue is as worth the search.

Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.
Isaiah 55:6

Muffled

Jesus in me
The best argument for atheism in my opinion is:

(1): Every argument I have seen for the existence of a god or goddess has been logically unsound.
(2): Even if a logically sound argument for the existence of a god/goddess could be produced, it would almost certainly be applicable to any of the many manmade gods and goddesses. So, since there is no evidence for any one of the specific gods/goddesses' existences being more probable than any of the others, a logically sound argument for a deity would at best be an argument for a more general, deistic deity rather than a deity of a specific religion.

I believe you have not seen mine.

I do not believe that is so. There are reputed instances but I would not want to try them.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think I'll be back here again living the exact same life again as we all will be. I don't think it's gonna happen in that long of a time. I think our lifespan on earth is between 50 and 100 years if I had to guess. After that we all come back and we live our lives. The same exact ones were living now. We won't be aware that it's the same exact one because we will be starting over. To me this makes the most sense and it's the most believable thing to happen. I believe my life is profound, Is as everyone's. I can't think of anything being more profound than this. Flying around in heaven as an angel? Nah. Running out of oil in 100 years then the sun burning out in a million then nothingness? Nah.

I do believe people are creatures of habit and that carries over but karma is a *****.