• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls vs. Boys

Are boys better then girls at sports?

• Yes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

klubbhead024

Reading a local news story that a girl is sueing a school district becuase she couldn't join the boys wrestling team, it really got me thinking.

Are boys better then girls at sports?

YES!(99% of the time) Girls CANNOT compete at the same level as their male counterparts, if they could, there would be no need for women's leagues. If women were better at basketball, there would be no WNBA, at soccer, no womens World Cup, etc.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
It's not a question of who's better. No, we can't physically do some of the things that men can, that's because we're built for very different things. Men are typically stronger, and heavier built. As a small, lightweight female I wouldn't want to be held in the same standards as a man, I could be seriously hurt or killed.

evearael

This has me chuckling. I was a grappler before my back injury and I could easily take on men twice my size who far outranked me. My size was not a handicap... I just had to use skill rather than brute force. I believe in the case you are referring to, the school feared sexual harassment with a lone girl surrounded by guys and wasn't as concerned about her ability to compete. Men and women can use different strategies to capitalize on their strengths and minimize exposing their weaknesses.

PureX

Veteran Member
Wait, there's a difference between comparing girls and boys at sports, and comparing men and women at sports. After puberty, men become a lot bigger and stronger than women. But before that, I think girls could compete physically with boys.

nutshell

PureX said:
Wait, there's a difference between comparing girls and boys at sports, and comparing men and women at sports. After puberty, men become a lot bigger and stronger than women. But before that, I think girls could compete physically with boys.

Very good point.

DuckySMT

Physically stronger doesn't mean better. I've known many a female who was a lot better than the males at sports, but it certainly depends on the people involved. Yes men are generally physically stronger and have a heavier build, but sports aren't necessarily about strenth but skill. And As some have already said, men and women have different strengths and weaknesses.

nutshell

When I was in high-school my freshman boys basketball team played the varsity girls team. We were pretty good, but the girls were state champs two-years running (and they made it three that year). Anyway, it wasn't even close. We blew them out and that's when I realized for the first time the difference in physical capabilities as they relate to basketball.

standing_alone

PureX said:

Precisely the same thing I was thinking. When I was in sixth grade, I played on an organized youth (American) football team - full pad, tackle football . I was no less able than any of the guys. If I were to play now, however, I would be crushed. I would have to say that as children (before puberty) there is little or no difference, but as adults (after puberty) it depends upon the sport.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Personally, if a girl wants to wrestle, they should be allowed. I see no reason to not allow it. If her opponent is stupid enough to get a feel during the match, he shouldn't be wrestling since he can't stay focused, and will most likly end up losing the match.

As for sports in general, I think thier are some men are better at, and some women are better at.

nutshell

Luke Wolf said:
Personally, if a girl wants to wrestle, they should be allowed. I see no reason to not allow it. If her opponent is stupid enough to get a feel during the match, he shouldn't be wrestling since he can't stay focused, and will most likly end up losing the match.

As for sports in general, I think thier are some men are better at, and some women are better at.

You're worried about the guy coping a feel?

What about the fact that she might get crushed every single time?

It's a lose-lose for the boy.

If he wins it's 'because he's supposed to' while if he loses, 'he'll be ridiculed for the remainder of his days.

Obviously there are reasons not to allow it - even though I personally would allow it (but not like it).

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
nutshell said:
Negative. Men have better times than women in running/swimming events.

Is this due to a fundamental kinesthetic ability in males, or the pressure that society puts on males to be physically competitive?

In other words, is there a sociological reason for boys to place better in sporting events than girls?

nutshell

Guitar's Cry said:
Is this due to a fundamental kinesthetic ability in males, or the pressure that society puts on males to be physically competitive?

In other words, is there a sociological reason for boys to place better in sporting events than girls?

Hmm...good question. Ultimately, it is the result of evolution and/or the way we were created in my opinion.

evearael

Nutshell said:
You're worried about the guy coping a feel?
From my experience groundfighting, this was never an issue for me and most of the people I fought were guys (since there were a lot more of them).

What about the fact that she might get crushed every single time?
This is especially a concern in the beginning while she is learning, but there are many ways to keep this from happening. It just takes time to learn how to avoid it.

It's a lose-lose for the boy.

If he wins it's 'because he's supposed to' while if he loses, 'he'll be ridiculed for the remainder of his days.
*Shrugs* Sadly, kids always find a reason to ridicule each other. I'm not sure about the ages and maturity of the kids in question off the top of my head... but it is important that boys and girls learn to cope when they are faced with a situation that defies stereotypes.

Draka

Wonder Woman
It all depends on the person, not their gender. I can tell you that while I was in the military I was just as built, if not more so, then many of my male counter-parts. I competed with Marine (male) buddies of mine in arm wrestling and weight lifting and other things. I was rarely beat. If a woman has the will, determination, and physical know-how, then they can be just as good, if not better, than men in the same areas of competition. However, it is unfortunately true that women are told over and over that they cannot compete on the same level as men, and therefore do not strive as much as they could to accomplish more than they expected.

I also don't think that a man should be ashamed of being beat by a woman. If they are...then they're crybabies.:sad4:

Faint

It's sexual dimorphism. Men in general have evolved to become physically superior to women (also in general) in terms of athletics. The easiest way to see this is to witness the variation in records set by both genders in the olympics.

To those of you who think otherwise, please list some sports where men do not surpass the performance of women.

But if we're talking about the younger athletes (i.e. girls and boys)...I think Pure Ex had a good point. It's my understanding that girls mature sooner.