• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get to Know Your Friendly Neighbor, Sclavus

Sclavus

I'm the FNG here, but I thought this part of the forum looked interesting. Feel free to ask me anything, and I'll do my best to answer. I like when I don't have an answer, or when someone says, "You said ___, but what about ___?" There are some things I take on faith in regard to my beliefs, but where I can find logic and reason, I prefer it.

That said, this doesn't have to focus solely on my religion. Feel free to ask anything you want.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you prefer brine cured or smoke cured bacon?
Boxers or briefs or commando?
Right handed or evil?

Sclavus

Do you prefer brine cured or smoke cured bacon?

Smoke-cured, but only because I know I've had that, and I don't know that I've ever had brine-cured bacon. I'll have to keep an eye open the next time I'm at the market.

Boxers or briefs or commando?

Commando, if I can get away with it. Boxers feel weird, and briefs are too snug.

Right handed or evil?

I'm right-handed, though I occasionally shoot with my left just for the grins and giggles.

Sclavus

Shoot???
Hmm...are you a basketball player or a professional assassin for the Mob?
Just an enthusiast. I like guns and other weapons in general. They come in handy for research into the stories I write. I do have one story on the back burner about a Mob assassin.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I'm right-handed, though I occasionally shoot with my left just for the grins and giggles.

No guessing your nationality then......:D

Who or what do you shoot?.......
t5.gif

images

If you are a Christian....why do you shoot? :shrug:

Didn't Jesus say that 'those who live by the sword would die by the sword'? Substitute "gun" for "sword" and I believe that gives no one who claims to be a Christian a right to bear arms......no matter what their constitution says.

You said to ask you anything.....
bd9.gif

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Just an enthusiast. I like guns and other weapons in general. They come in handy for research into the stories I write. I do have one story on the back burner about a Mob assassin.

So...you shoot for research purposes, and are writing a book about a Mob assassin...

I can only assume you're currently working in an Italian restaurant constantly trying to eavesdrop on conversations between burly men of southern European extraction...

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
do like kilts. My ancestry is Irish, Scottish, and English, so that has a lot to do with it.
Ironically, the poster who was asking you about your underwear I affectionately refer to "kiltboy". You just fit right in this place!

I've been under the weather this month, though I'm hopefully on the mend. I don't get things like strep often, but when I do, it takes me a long time to recover.
I am sorry about the infection. I've gotten strep before, it's miserable.
But really, I was just hitting on you in shameless fashion. :)
Tom

Sclavus

Who or what do you shoot?

Paper targets, mostly. The occasional bottle or can. Sometimes the range I go to brings in old cars or fuel tanks.

If you are a Christian....why do you shoot?

Didn't Jesus say that 'those who live by the sword would die by the sword'? Substitute "gun" for "sword" and I believe that gives no one who claims to be a Christian a right to bear arms......no matter what their constitution says.

We disagree on what it means to "live by the sword," but I appreciate the question. I do agree that any weapon could be inserted in place of "sword," and the meaning of Jesus' words would be the same, but I believe He was referring to a lifestyle of violence.

I don't live by my guns. I enjoy them, but I don't seek to solve all my problems with violence. When Jesus said to Peter (in Matthew 26) that those who live by the sword will die by the sword, He was admonishing Peter not to seek a violent solution to his problems. Peter was known for having a rash temper, so the admonishment makes sense.

Weapons are tools. They are tools often used to end life, yes, but they are only as evil as those who wield them. You can enjoy plunking rounds into paper targets with a gun, or you can use it to end a life. I can do the same thing with a hammer: use it to have fun, or use it to end a life. The choice I make will determine whether I live by violence or not.

I enjoy explosions and fire and big booms, because they're impressive. There's a lot of science involved, and an art to putting a tiny piece of metal exactly where you want it at a distance. I don't plan on ever ending a life with anything.

However, all life is sacred, including my own, so I'd work to preserve my life against an attacker. My philosophy there is to merely cause my attacker enough discomfort to convince them to stop attacking me. That might mean killing them, but I work to avoid putting myself in positions where someone would want to attack me. I'd rather have a strong door no one can kick open and no gun than a flimsy door and a big gun.

Sclavus

Ironically, the poster who was asking you about your underwear I affectionately refer to "kiltboy". You just fit right in this place!

I am sorry about the infection. I've gotten strep before, it's miserable.
But really, I was just hitting on you in shameless fashion. :)
Tom
I'm rather dense when it comes to flirting. I've apparently had women flirt with me before and I failed to notice.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm rather dense when it comes to flirting. I've apparently had women flirt with me before and I failed to notice.
I'm in the other boat. My husband wanted to ask me out but thought I wasn't interested. I was, in fact, just clueless. And it wasn't until he told me a year or so later that he was lonely and tired of being single when I figured out '...I...don't want you to date anyone. ...Oh.'

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As for a question, here's some usual suspects:
What is your favorite book?
What is your favorite movie?
What is your favorite color?
If you had to put your hand in a box with the sound of grinding machinery or a box with the sound of rattlesnakes, which would you?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I can definitely step up my game in the "shamelessness" Dept. :D
Ask @ADigitalArtist . I am in a competition with another poster (@Wirey ), for who can most embarrass the male gender without actually getting banned by RF. But he's straight, so I've got you all to myself.
:)
Tom

Sclavus

I don't have people flirt with me often, as far as I know. My friends haven't said so, anyway. And I'd generally rather crawl into a hole and hide for an eternity before trying to flirt with anyone.

What is your favorite book?
I don't know that I have a favorite, but I've been enjoying The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher lately. I also like the Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Maberry. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk comes to mind as well.

What is your favorite movie?
There again, it's difficult to pick a favorite. "The Departed" is good, as well as "Fight Club," "The Last Samurai," "300," "Titanic," "Amazing Grace," and a lot of others. I haven't seen anything recently worth my time.

What is your favorite color?
Black.

If you had to put your hand in a box with the sound of grinding machinery or a box with the sound of rattlesnakes, which would you?
Snakes. I'd rather get bit and possibly get to an antidote than risk losing a hand.

Sclavus

I can definitely step up my game in the "shamelessness" Dept. :D
Ask @ADigitalArtist . I am in a competition with another poster (@Wirey ), for who can most embarrass the male gender without actually getting banned by RF. But he's straight, so I've got you all to myself.
:)
Tom
Just so you're aware, I am straight. I've run into confusion before, mostly because I've never been stereotypically masculine.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know that I have a favorite, but I've been enjoying The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher lately. I also like the Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Maberry. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk comes to mind as well.
Love Dresden Files. Got to meet Jim Butcher at a book signing a couple years ago. :) Did some art for a Dresden Files RPG campaign a while back, summer fae stuff.
http://img01.deviantart.net/f572/i/...pg_illustration_by_adigitalartist-d5nan2k.png
There again, it's difficult to pick a favorite. "The Departed" is good, as well as "Fight Club," "The Last Samurai," "300," "Titanic," "Amazing Grace," and a lot of others. I haven't seen anything recently worth my time.
Nice. Some strong cinema there. Did you like Fight Club more, less or about the same as a movie than the book?
Psh, technically black is a shade, not a color. But I'll allow it given that in additive color theory combining all colors produces black.
Snakes. I'd rather get bit and possibly get to an antidote than risk losing a hand.
Ditto.

Sclavus

Love Dresden Files. Got to meet Jim Butcher at a book signing a couple years ago. :) Did some art for a Dresden Files RPG campaign a while back, summer fae stuff.
http://img01.deviantart.net/f572/i/...pg_illustration_by_adigitalartist-d5nan2k.png

Holy...that's gorgeous!

Nice. Some strong cinema there. Did you like Fight Club more, less or about the same as a movie than the book?

I like the movie slightly better, but only because I'm averse to present-tense writing. That didn't turn me off from the book that much, but it was distracting. The movie also had a bit more of a coherent story to it. Plus, they included the penguin. You can't go wrong with penguins, usually.

Psh, technically black is a shade, not a color. But I'll allow it given that in additive color theory combining all colors produces black.

Red, then. The darker the better. I'm not a fan of bright colors, in general.