• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Bush's Spirituality

linwood

Mister Emu said:
The thing is, tax money is already going to a set of beliefs, in public school biology class, evolutionary origin, big bang, and macro-evolution are taught as if fact while none have been proven. This is a theological stance, the only thing is you don't see it because it is what you believe(I assume correct me if I am wrong).

So either your stance is hypocritical, or you must agree that macro-evolution, big bang, and evolutionary origins need to be taken out of public schools.

I hear alot of talk about evolution being taught in publics schools but I`ve never seen it.
My oldest is in the 8th grade and evolution has never come up.
It never came up as a subject at all in my public school career.
But I did go to school in Florida so that might have something to do with it.
:)
If what you mean by evolutionary origin is abiogenesis I don`t think it should be taught as fact YET because it cannot be proven scientifically but it should be put forth as a possibilty because there is more than a significant amount of scientific evidence to support it.
Much of which I`ve posted in other threads recently so please don`t make me repost it.
I am not married to abiogenesis either, if there are other viable alternatives that have any empirical evidence to support them..any at all..then they should be discussed along with any other possibilty of "origins of life"
I have no problem with schools talking about biblical creationism but I would want it noted that there is no evidence to support it.
I would not want it taught as fact, just as I would not want abiogenesis taught as fact at this point.
Hell they can talk about the tooth fairy for all I care as long as they don`t state it as fact.

I don`t at this point believe in "The Big Bang".
To me it has no more basis than the concept of intelligent design.
In fact in the most important way they have the same faults.
This could just be my ignorance of physics but try as I may I can`t get past the fact that there is no evidence of it.
I would have no problem with it discussed in school but I would also like it pointed out that there is no evidence to support it.

As far as macroevolution is concerned ..it is fact.
The genome shows it as fact.
The fossil record shows it as fact
Mutating viruses show it as fact.
The discovery of brand new species shows it as fact.
Vestigal organs show it as fact.

What more do you creationist guys want?

You yourself have said you don`t have a problem with macroevolution but haven`t seen evidence of changes as great as species to species.

I want it taught as fact the same way I`d like the theory of gravity taught as fact.

and I would prefer that all supposition be taken out of school, and only facts taught, but to me tax money for schools that teach islam is the same as we have now with schools teaching above theories, both are unproven beliefs that I do not agree with.

I don`t want supposition taken out of schoo,l hell thats too much like book burning to me.
I just don`t want things taught as emprical truth that aren`t.

I would even put forth that if it was at all possible I`d like theology in general to be taught in school.
It`s too big a part of almost everyones culture not to be discussed at all.
I would just like the different beliefs given equal time and effort so students could make their own decisions about it.

If archeologists discovered Eden tomorrow along with a petrified garden full of petrified apples and a petrified snake and the grave of a man whose DNA showed he lived 930 years right outside of the Eden dig I`d be the first one to inform my kids.

I`d probably also start prayin` like a madman.
:)

My county schools are mandated 34 or less, yet we still have 40 plus classes.

Yeah..I know how it goes.
Guess I`ll have to wait and see.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I hear alot of talk about evolution being taught in publics schools but I`ve never seen it.

My biology class two years ago did, and most likely still does.

If what you mean by evolutionary origin is abiogenesis

No, I meant that we evolved from single celled organisms to what we are, that is evo-origin as far as I know.

I would have no problem with it discussed in school but I would also like it pointed out that there is no evidence to support it.

In my first year science we had to do a project on it, as fact.

As far as macroevolution is concerned ..it is fact.

Not it isn't.

The genome shows it as fact.
The fossil record shows it as fact
Mutating viruses show it as fact.
The discovery of brand new species shows it as fact.
Vestigal organs show it as fact.

None of these have shown macro-evolution as fact, and geologist are finding things that should not be possible in the different levels of rock. such as ~25,000 year old wood in 200 million year old rock. Of course these are written off as contaminated or something else.

What more do you creationist guys want?

I want an observed macro-evolution, I want to see dogs turn into something that is not a dog, I want to see ostriches turn into swimming birds, ect. I want to see it in action or it is not proven.

You yourself have said you don`t have a problem with macroevolution but haven`t seen evidence of changes as great as species to species.

I don't have a problem with speciation, or MICRO-evolution or adaption depending on what you want to call it.

I want it taught as fact the same way I`d like the theory of gravity taught as fact.

I thought involving gravity it was a law, but even if it is not, you can prove gravity and observe it, throw a rock in the air, it falls, that is gravity. Scientists cannot observe macro evolution.

I don`t want supposition taken out of schoo,l hell thats too much like book burning to me.
I just don`t want things taught as emprical truth that aren`t.

That is what I meant :)

Why apples? I mean apples were probably there but, it never refers to apples specifically, just fruit.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
:sarcastic This thread is just slightly off topic...

Evolution vs Creationism issues should be discussed in the appropriate forum. Thank you. :)

Melody

linwood said:
Christian are also notorious for picking and choosing which laws of Leviticus to obey and not obey.

Why do you assume that *all* Christians obey *any* of the laws of Leviticus?

linwood

Why do you assume that *all* Christians obey *any* of the laws of Leviticus?

because many of them say they do and because they try to pass laws in my country based on these rules.

There`s a discussion going on about it now in a different thread if you want to add something to it i`d be more than happy to hear it since it`s something I`m trying to puzzle out right now.
Follow the link.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2898

Melody

linwood said:
because many of them say they do and because they try to pass laws in my country based on these rules.

Well, I'll be happy to put in my .02 that I do not and I know many more who do not. Unfortunately, the most extreme elements are the ones you hear from more.

I'll check out the link you posted.

a2ndson

Bush Is An Entity, He Purports An Ideology Of Christianity To Fool The Masses And Gain The One Thing All Dictatorial Rulers Crave... Yet He Exhibits Few If Any Of The Qualities Of A True Christian.
"voice Or No Voice, People Can Always Be Brought To The Bidding Of The Leaders. This Is Easy. All You Have To Do Is To Tell Them They Are Being Attacked, And Denounce The Pacifists For Lack Of Patriotism And Exposing The Country To Danger. It Works The Same In Every Country"
Hermann Goering
Hitler's Reich Marshall

oisin3

a2ndson said:
Bush Is An Entity, He Purports An Ideology Of Christianity To Fool The Masses And Gain The One Thing All Dictatorial Rulers Crave... Yet He Exhibits Few If Any Of The Qualities Of A True Christian.
"voice Or No Voice, People Can Always Be Brought To The Bidding Of The Leaders. This Is Easy. All You Have To Do Is To Tell Them They Are Being Attacked, And Denounce The Pacifists For Lack Of Patriotism And Exposing The Country To Danger. It Works The Same In Every Country"
Hermann Goering
Hitler's Reich Marshall
Your right on. 666:bonk: