• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis & Science - Friend or Foe?

nPeace

Veteran Member
You went after higher education, mailinging it by misapplying the Bible to it as the "wisdom of man", meaning foolishness. Do you believe higher education is foolish? Please be honest in your answer.
My entire response was to your post, where you said this...
While it may be adequate for the immediate needs, it's not a higher education which goes beyond it. That's what is expansive of the horizons of a higher education. More knowledge. More awareness. More expansive insights and understandings.

Read my post again, and try to understand what I am saying.
It is against that worldly wisdom.
It seems quite clear to me. Perhaps that's because I wrote it. I however, think taken as a whole, it's easily understood.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
How did he lie? I posted results that show the JW's avoid education more than any other sect, though the behavior of your leadership actually makes it a cult.
I just watched a video where a JW broadcaster was talking about "the fourth means by which Satan attempts to fashion us, reshaping our thinking" is higher education. An advanced secular education was described as something that could expose a person to unscriptural ideas and practices. That sounded very cult-like to me.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Your claim about extrapolation was already refuted by another. And my question cut to the heart of your objections. That you dodged it tells us that you know that you are wrong.

And all the JW 's website had were excuses for their bad behavior. You should learn how apologetics are almost always lying for Jesus.

Sadly I doubt if you will ever allow yourself to learn that. Apologetics are a security blanket for the deceived that allows them to remain deceived
I must have missed it apparently.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You claim that the theory of common ancestry is not science. Even a creationist should be sharp enough to figure out that is a claim it is not testable. One of the criteria of scientific theory is falsifiability. If it is not science, there can be no test and no falsification. Your post looks like your standard, wordy, directionless diversion, likely due to the fact that you really have no notion about what science is or does.
I'm beginning to wonder if you need glasses. No I claimed no such thing. How do you read?

You have linked this thread before and it did not work then and does not appear to work now.

Mutation is not really a mechanism of evolution. It is a mechanism of variation on which the mechanisms of evolution can act.

Maybe you will answer this question. Maybe not. But here goes.

What do you think the evolution of higher taxa means from a step-wise, mechanistic perspective? Do you envision different taxonomic families forming directly out of an existing family or do you see it as the result of continual branching until so many changes accumulate that the new group is clearly a different family from the ancestral? In other words, what is your understanding of the scientific view of phyllogenesis?
You haven't answered my question.

I did not lie. The article discourages education and supports the claim that JW's do not think much of education. You said so yourself. Now are you saying that you lied in corroborating that article?

Never mind. I did not expect an apology from you. I just wanted to point out that one was warranted.
Why am I speaking to you?
I am beginning to wonder if it has more to do with the brain than sight.
Is that what an elevated view of one's self does to a person. That's really sad.

Why do you keep repeating the falsehood, and adding more lies to it?
Even SZ is not so bad. He does not like to admit he is wrong, but he does not lie like that. He would avoid you, but not lie, so boldfaced.

The article plainly says the opposite of what you are saying, and did not say what you are saying.
So here's the thing...
I gave you more than enough time to stop lying, and you persist.
So you have one more post to stop persisting with that lie. If you do not stop, you will be on my ignore list. Capiche?

So you agree. You did not understand him and need him to explain it. I agree.
Wow. You figured that out all by yourself, just reading that?
Way to go. Have a biscuit. You earned it.
Bulk_Apples__54631.1524160970.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm beginning to wonder if you need glasses. No I claimed no such thing. How do you read?
You can ignore this, but I am going to respond anyway, because I am not afraid to address others.

This is the second time you have insulted me with a reference to needing glasses. And after putting on such a show about people insulting you too. Not unexpected at all.

You have built your entire series of claims around the notion that common descent is not science because it is not good science. As I explained to you and demonstrated based on your own words, you do not understand science. Your claims point to common descent not being testable.

No wonder you are going to put me on your "I am running from this person" list. I have you figured out.

You haven't answered my question.
You have not answered dozens of my questions and those questions are about the claims of your OP. You are petty and desperate and it shows.

Why am I speaking to you?
I am beginning to wonder if it has more to do with the brain than sight.
Is that what an elevated view of one's self does to a person. That's really sad.
Now the insults are turned to my mental state. Since you can answer none of my questions and I can produce well-informed responses to your posts, I suppose all you have left are petty insults.

Why do you keep repeating the falsehood, and adding more lies to it?
Even SZ is not so bad. He does not like to admit he is wrong, but he does not lie like that. He would avoid you, but not lie, so boldfaced.
I am not repeating falsehoods. The position of the Jehovah's Witnesses on education is as I specified and corroborating material is found on the JW web pages.

You are a very strange person and fall apart and drop to low tactics when pressed. It is simply the case that I have not lied.

The article plainly says the opposite of what you are saying, and did not say what you are saying.
So here's the thing...
The article that Subduction Zone provided corroborated the claims on education by the JW organization and even referred to a video that I have seen on those web pages. There are more videos that state the same thing. All found on JW pages.

I gave you more than enough time to stop lying, and you persist.
So you have one more post to stop persisting with that lie. If you do not stop, you will be on my ignore list. Capiche?
Wow! You are lying and then you closed with a lie. I have yet to respond and according your own words, I would have that chance to respond before you add me to your "I am running from this person" list, but you already claim I am on that list. Irony. False witness. Typical.

I expect that you will continue to make these false accusations.

Wow. You figured that out all by yourself, just reading that?
Way to go. Have a biscuit. You earned it.
Bulk_Apples__54631.1524160970.jpg
You asked the question about his post. I responded that you did not understand. Then you backed me up by agreeing that you did not understand. Thank you for that.

I do not think I will be missing much, but I understand. You cannot deal with facts or reality and I am a threat to that. Making false accusations is not enough, so you have to run. So be it. It was not like you were ever going to answer my questions, so there is no loss.

nPeace

Veteran Member
How did he lie? I posted results that show the JW's avoid education more than any other sect, though the behavior of your leadership actually makes it a cult.
I suggest you read the article, instead of repeating the same mistake.
However, knowing that you won't read it, I'll quote a portion.
Education is vital
Education helps a person to develop “practical wisdom and thinking ability,” qualities that the Bible praises highly. (Proverbs 2:10, 11; 3:21, 22) Further, Jesus told his followers to be teachers of the things he commanded. (Matthew 28:19, 20) Thus, we encourage and help our members to have a well-rounded education, including skills in reading, writing, and communicating, * as well as knowledge about other religions and cultures.—1 Corinthians 9:20-22; 1 Timothy 4:13.

This is from the official website of JWs.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Education is vital
Education helps a person to develop “practical wisdom and thinking ability,” qualities that the Bible praises highly. (Proverbs 2:10, 11; 3:21, 22) Further, Jesus told his followers to be teachers of the things he commanded. (Matthew 28:19, 20) Thus, we encourage and help our members to have a well-rounded education, including skills in reading, writing, and communicating, * as well as knowledge about other religions and cultures.—1 Corinthians 9:20-22; 1 Timothy 4:13.

As are the videos that discourage higher education. This does not falsify my claim that JW's discourage education.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Education is vital

It does not matter if that is the "Official website". Your church does not practice what it preaches. It also contradicts itself in this section:

"Higher education can lead to moral and spiritual dangers"

nPeace

Veteran Member
It does not matter if that is the "Official website". Your church does not practice what it preaches. It also contradicts itself in this section:

"Higher education can lead to moral and spiritual dangers"
What don't you understand about the difference between education and higher education?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I might as well go talk to a mule.

I am not the one that is in denial here. Once again you project your flaws. Your own cult explains why they are against education. You try to put a false label on it. If anything you should be putting down the "education" that your cult pushes.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
There is no doubt. Not only do they openly oppose it in the link provided by @nPeace , that opposition works as shown by the study that I linked. If they opposed it but it made no difference that would not be a problem. The fact that their leadership opposes it and it works harms many innocent people.
I agree. To keep defending the stance on education despite this evidence, makes me wonder if there isn't something to the idea of having an elevated view of oneself. Except as another aspect of his own projection.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I agree. To keep defending the stance on education despite this evidence, makes me wonder if there isn't something to the idea of having an elevated view of oneself. Except as another aspect of his own projection.
The Dunning-Kruger effect is rampant among those with fundamentalist leanings. It is why they think that those with almost no education at all can refute one of the world's strongest theories in the history of science.