• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gen 2:24 - The Mystery of a Love Letter

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I mentioned this thread simply because John D. Brey's thread was taking a different turn and I didn't want to derail it.

There was a good point where he mentioned: "I'm wondering how the human can leave his father and his mother when the human was created from the dust of the earth so that the human had no umbilical cord, no father, and no mother?"

A good question and a good point. But what if there is a deeper meaning?

I am reminded of Paul's statement of Ephesians 5:30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Notice the similarities with Genesis 2:24

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Coincidence? Not really.

Sometimes it is easy to forget that Adam was fully connected with God, Spirit to spirit. Adam had received the revelation of what was to come, that is Christ and the Church.

More to come... busy schedule.

Kenny

Premium Member
Gen 2:21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.

23 And Adam said:

“This is now bone of my bones
And flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman,
Because she was taken out of Man.”

24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

The understanding, IMV, is that man was complete in and of himself but that then "woman" was taken from him. His completeness comes from the becoming one with his wife.

When Paul said, "I speak concerning Christ and the Church", I propose that God was sending a message that Adam understood. That even as man was taken out of woman, when God breathed into Adam, He also took out of Himself and made man another speaking spirit and that His completeness comes from the intimacy between Himself and mankind and thus, as Paul said:

30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. - as we are His body and He is the head.

The Church is the bride and it was born through the ribs of Jesus where blood and water flowed and the Church was created as He began breathing into His church by the breath of His Holy Spirit as was Adam,

John 20:22
And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.

We are complete in Him and He is completed when we are joined to Him.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I agree even though my viewpoint is that the Creation and Fall accounts are most likely allegorical, but your point still survives, imo.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.......................John 20:22
And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
Good points about the marriage vow (origin of marriage) at Genesis 2:24.
A side thought about John 20:21-22 that I find the resurrected Jesus 'blew' on them to receive holy spirit in connection not to marriage but to Acts of the Apostles 2:2-4 dealing with the purpose of Pentecost and beyond.
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-11; 2 Peter 1:21

Kenny

Premium Member
Good points about the marriage vow (origin of marriage) at Genesis 2:24.
A side thought about John 20:21-22 that I find the resurrected Jesus 'blew' on them to receive holy spirit in connection not to marriage but to Acts of the Apostles 2:2-4 dealing with the purpose of Pentecost and beyond.
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-11; 2 Peter 1:21
I agree with you as far as purpose of Pentecost and beyond. Although I could have said it better and not just making the statement as "marriage". But I do see it as more than just that.

To explain on how I view it..

Being "born-again" - is being born of the Spirit (John 3 - you must be born of the Spirit) where your spirit is reunited with His Spirit. It takes the breath of the God to breathe this new life - no different than the breath of God breathing new life into Adam.

The consumption of the marriage is the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. But He is preparing the bride to be without spot or wrinkle (Ephesians 5 again).

The Jewish custom was that if you were engaged, you actually had to get a divorce to annul it - it was that binding as depicted when Joseph was going to break his engagement with Mary. The Holy Spirit is actually the engagement ring for the marriage to be. Ephesians 1:13-14 says that the Holy Spirit is the guarantee of the inheritance. I love the Spanish translation here because it reflects the Greek meaning better as it is translated as the "engagement ring" of our inheritance.

In other words, I do agree with you completely that it includes Pentecost and beyond but more than just that.

As I view the scirptures, I find Pentecost and born-again can actually be two different experiences although it can happen at the same time.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I agree with you as far as purpose of Pentecost and beyond. Although I could have said it better and not just making the statement as "marriage". But I do see it as more than just that. To explain on how I view it..
Being "born-again" - is being born of the Spirit (John 3 - you must be born of the Spirit) where your spirit is reunited with His Spirit. It takes the breath of the God to breathe this new life - no different than the breath of God breathing new life into Adam.
The consumption of the marriage is the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. But He is preparing the bride to be without spot or wrinkle (Ephesians 5 again).
The Jewish custom was that if you were engaged, you actually had to get a divorce to annul it - it was that binding as depicted when Joseph was going to break his engagement with Mary. The Holy Spirit is actually the engagement ring for the marriage to be. Ephesians 1:13-14 says that the Holy Spirit is the guarantee of the inheritance. I love the Spanish translation here because it reflects the Greek meaning better as it is translated as the "engagement ring" of our inheritance.
In other words, I do agree with you completely that it includes Pentecost and beyond but more than just that.
As I view the Scirptures, I find Pentecost and born-again can actually be two different experiences although it can happen at the same time.

If I follow, then 'yes' born again and Pentecost can be different in that first to be born again, or even be a Christian for that matter, one must first be baptised.
Born again to be chosen as a saint/ holy one - Daniel 7:18,27; Luke 22:28-30; Revelation 20:6; 5:9-10; 2:10.
No un-baptised persons are offered Heaven - John 3:13; Hebrews 11:13; Hebrews 11:39
No one who commits the un-forgivable sin can be resurrected either to Heaven or on Earth - Matthew 12:32
The earthly resurrection is for the righteous and unrighteous ones - Acts of the Apostles 24:15
They can become part of the humble meek who will inherit (Not Heaven) but inherit the Earth.