• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Geek Alert! Fancy New Wallmart Truck

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
[youtube]NER9X4_gtYk[/youtube]
Walmart Advanced Vehicle Experience Concept Truck - YouTube
Gas turbines have been a failure in vehicles because they're efficient only at full power. But I notice a hybrid electric application here, which would allow the turbine to be downsized to run in the full power range all the time, with the battery supplementing it for high demands (eg, up hills). I wonder if there's a regenerator for the turbine...that is the most thermodynamically efficient design.
The battery looks oddly small for this purpose though. Perhaps this one is for use in plains states, eh? Anyway, I've long wondered how long it would take for carbon fiber trailers to arrive. This would be a dramatic reduction in fuel usage.

Tumah

Veteran Member
So uh... does Walmart really neeeed such a fancy truck? Or was this purely a publicity thing?

freethinker44

So uh... does Walmart really neeeed such a fancy truck? Or was this purely a publicity thing?

They have to something with all that obscene wealth. If paying employees is out of the question, and you can only build so many billion dollar art museums, might as well build a ridiculous truck.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I never thought I'd say this about anything connected with Wallmart, but that's cool!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They have to something with all that obscene wealth. If paying employees is out of the question, and you can only build so many billion dollar art museums, might as well build a ridiculous truck.
If someone obscenely wealthy wants to become even more so by
saving fuel, & thereby helping our environment, then I'm all for it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
[youtube]NER9X4_gtYk[/youtube]
Walmart Advanced Vehicle Experience Concept Truck - YouTube
Gas turbines have been a failure in vehicles because they're efficient only at full power. But I notice a hybrid electric application here, which would allow the turbine to be downsized to run in the full power range all the time, with the battery supplementing it for high demands (eg, up hills). I wonder if there's a regenerator for the turbine...that is the most thermodynamically efficient design.
The battery looks oddly small for this purpose though. Perhaps this one is for use in plains states, eh? Anyway, I've long wondered how long it would take for carbon fiber trailers to arrive. This would be a dramatic reduction in fuel usage.

F1 technology is moving fast in terms of dual-power, and within 5 years things will be getting very interesting in dual-power. Some folks are saying that straight IC-only power will be off EU roads within 20 years.

You mention small sized batteries.......... but they're getting good power-weight ratios these days with lithium polymers, and it's going to get better very fast.

Ain't things moving along..... ?:D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You mention small sized batteries.......... but they're getting good power-weight ratios these days with lithium polymers, and it's going to get better very fast.
Lithion ion batteries are a pretty mature technology, so I don't expect much improvement
in energy density, even in the long run. And I don't see any breakthru technology on the horizon.
This truck looks to be a great improvement in efficiency, but only because it's an ambitious
application of many existing technologies.