• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaming website tells the internet misogynist horde to jog on.

Flankerl

By yuck, I meant the vitriol emanating from your **** shaming post, not the sex life of some poor game developer.

**** shaming? Its not really my fault that female "game developers" have sex with gaming "Journalists" who then write "totally impartial" articles promoting the games of these "game developers".

Is that supposed to be okay?

If i wanted to go on the sex life of one of these "poor game developers" i would mention the changing multiple sexual partners on a single gaming convention let alone conventions. But that has nothing to do with Gamergate.

Alceste

Vagabond
**** shaming? Its not really my fault that female "game developers" have sex with gaming "Journalists" who then write "totally impartial" articles promoting the games of these "game developers".

Is that supposed to be okay?

If i wanted to go on the sex life of one of these "poor game developers" i would mention the changing multiple sexual partners on a single gaming convention let alone conventions. But that has nothing to do with Gamergate.
People have sex with each other. Get over it. It's not some grand conspiracy to corrupt the gaming press with the incredible persuasive power of our vaginas. :facepalm:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
By yuck, I meant the vitriol emanating from your **** shaming post, not the sex life of some poor game developer.

It's not the sex itself, but that it was used as a form of bribery, perportedly.
I haven't been following the story nor know much about it outside of this thread. I do know that misogyny is rampant in geek/gamer/internet culture, and that it's unacceptable and needs to be combatted.
But all that aside, buying favorable reviews is unethical, whether it be with cash or sex. But it still doesnt warrant the level of reaction and treatment, however, and shouldn't be used to deflect attention from the misogyny issue.

Flankerl

People have sex with each other. Get over it. It's not some grand conspiracy to corrupt the gaming press with the incredible persuasive power of our vaginas. :facepalm:

So you think its okay when women objectify themselves to sell their product.

Not even to mention the role of the Journalists in all of this.

So should i sleep with my project managers to get them to accept my proposal? What could possibly be wrong with that.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So you think its okay when women objectify themselves to sell their product.

Not even to mention the role of the Journalists in all of this.

So should i sleep with my project managers to get them to accept my proposal? What could possibly be wrong with that.

Yeah, I don't think the notion of "sleeping your way to the top" helps the efforts for respect and equality in the workplace.

Alceste

Vagabond
It's not the sex itself, but that it was used as a form of bribery, perportedly.
I haven't been following the story nor know much about it outside of this thread. I do know that misogyny is rampant in geek/gamer/internet culture, and that it's unacceptable and needs to be combatted.
But all that aside, buying favorable reviews is unethical, whether it be with cash or sex. But it still doesnt warrant the level of reaction and treatment, however, and shouldn't be used to deflect attention from the misogyny issue.
Never happened. Nobody was buying anything from anybody with sex. That's a totally retarded assertion, as anyone who has ever had sex should immediately be able to spot.

The dingleberries at the butt hole of the armpit of the Internet took a blog post by a jilted ex and decided all on their own that the purpose of the sex involved was career advancement rather that, you know, sex. Because women aren't supposed to like sex for its own sake.

Retarded. Who cares if developers and gaming press have sex with each other? Who else are they gonna have sex with? When you're an indie developer, that's your dating pool, basically.

Flankerl

How convenient that all people she had sex with wrote so nice articles about her game.

What a coincidence.
But of course she is just a poor flower.(if you dont count all the lies)

Quality journalism ftw.

Ehh, this is just another anita sarkeesian. Everybody will be up in a big roar about it then it will die and go back to the black hole areas of the internet.

Alceste

Vagabond
How convenient that all people she had sex with wrote so nice articles about her game.

What a coincidence.
But of course she is just a poor flower.(if you dont count all the lies)

Quality journalism ftw.

You don't find the sex lives and relationship dramas of others mind-numbingly boring? I do. This thread was never intended to be a spiteful critique of whatserface's sex life. It was intended to be a discussion of a significant paradigm shift within the game development and game press community, caused by the dawning realization that a certain demographic to which they had been routinely catering are hateful, misogynistic idiots.

I haven't played Depression Quest, but it IS possible that it is a genuinely interesting game to play and to write about. That's much more likely than the suggestion that you need to bang somebody to get a favorable review, don't you think?

Ah the black vs white approach. Well why not.

Correct thats what it is.

You don't find the sex lives and relationship dramas of others mind-numbingly boring? I do. This thread was never intended to be a spiteful critique of whatserface's sex life. It was intended to be a discussion of a significant paradigm shift within the game development and game press community, caused by the dawning realization that a certain demographic to which they had been routinely catering are hateful, misogynistic idiots.

I haven't played Depression Quest, but it IS possible that it is a genuinely interesting game to play and to write about. That's much more likely than the suggestion that you need to bang somebody to get a favorable review, don't you think?

I, out of interest, played a few hours into it. It's... Well different and not in a good way.

Alceste

Vagabond
Ehh, this is just another anita sarkeesian. Everybody will be up in a big roar about it then it will die and go back to the black hole areas of the internet.

Sarkeesian is actually more popular now than ever, especially among game developers. Her ideas are a hot topic at all of our indie dev events now, whereas before "gamergate" we sometimes encountered devs who didn't even know who she was.

Alceste

Vagabond
I, out of interest, played a few hours into it. It's... Well different and not in a good way.

Just started, and I actually do find it unique and interesting. It's a pretty bang on depiction of what depression is actually like. It's also elegantly designed and nicely written, and the music is well-chosen.

It's a simple text-based game, sure, but better than the one I made. And it's free.

What's not to like?

Depression Quest: An Interactive (non)Fiction About Living with Depression

Sarkeesian is actually more popular now than ever, especially among game developers. Her ideas are a hot topic at all of our indie dev events now, whereas before "gamergate" we sometimes encountered devs who didn't even know who she was.

Because she's helping push the issue? Anybody with half a brain would let this drama die down. It's the curse of being involved in Indie gaming.

Just started, and I actually do find it unique and interesting. It's a pretty bang on depiction of what depression is actually like. It's also elegantly designed and nicely written, and the music is well-chosen.

It's a simple text-based game, sure, but better than the one I made. And it's free.

What's not to like?

Depression Quest: An Interactive (non)Fiction About Living with Depression

Idk.. I suppose watching family members deal with depression made me look at it in a sour view.

Alceste

Vagabond
Because she's helping push the issue? Anybody with half a brain would let this drama die down. It's the curse of being involved in Indie gaming.

Nope, she's just doing what she's always done - producing youtube critiques of gender tropes in games from a feminist perspective and receiving rape and death threats from the internet misogynist horde instead of thoughtful rebuttals.

Alceste

Vagabond
1800 developers from around the world signed this open letter before the option to sign was closed, including major players at some of the most successful companies in the world.

Open letter to the gaming community

We believe that everyone, no matter what gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or disability has the right to play games, criticize games and make games without getting harassed or threatened. It is the diversity of our community that allows games to flourish.

If you see threats of violence or harm in comments on Steam, YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, Facebook or reddit, please take a minute to report them on the respective sites.

If you see hateful, harassing speech, take a public stand against it and make the gaming community a more enjoyable space to be in.

Thank you

https://medium.com/@andreaszecher/open-letter-to-the-gaming-community-df4511032e8a

That's what I find fascinating about this manufactured controversy. Prior to it, there was no clear, cohesive ethos among developers on how to approach gender, race and sexuality in their games and workplaces. Because of the deplorable behavior of a small subsection of gamers, a cohesive philosophy is beginning to form, and I like the form it is taking.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Far as I can tell, the dude Zoe Quinn slept with never actually critiqued her game.

BTW, someone who develops a game is a game developer, even if the game is trash. Someone who writes about those games is a journalist. Total impartiality is impossible in all instances, anyway.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

I just separate the drama from the woman. As far as I can tell, the bulk of the people who harassed Sarkeesian never actually watched her videos, and so are uninformed about their contents.