• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaming website tells the internet misogynist horde to jog on.

Alceste

Vagabond
I loved this. Yes, yes and yes.

Announcement: Readers who feel threatened by equality no longer welcome | games.on.net

Literally the worst possible thing that can happen here is equality. That’s the worst outcome, that’s the nightmare scenario. If, today, every AAA publisher said “We will start to include women more in our games and represent them better”, the only actual difference this would make to anybody shrieking about how feminists are destroying games is that they might have to pick their gender in the next Call of Duty game. Terrifying, isn’t it. Stuff of nightmares.

The problem here is that these squealing man-children, so desperate to keep women out of their precious games, want it both ways. They want gaming to be taken seriously as a culture and art form, while at the same time throwing an unbelievable tantrum when subjected to serious criticism. This is ludicrous and immature on so many levels. Gaming isn’t for you, anymore. Gaming is for everyone. Everyone gets to have their say, to make their criticism, and gaming doesn’t need you to defend it.
I don't know if you have been following Gamergate. It's an outpouring of misogynistic whining directed at any reviewer, critic, developer or reporter who dares to suggest that perhaps games could include female characters that, for example, wear clothes, have personalities, and are more complex than a prop or a plot device in a male POV story.

It goes beyond idiotic tweets and blog posts. Developers have been hacked, death and rape threats have been tweeted to all kinds of women involved in the industry, and (most embarrassingly for humanity), a physical protest against an individual woman's personal sexual history has been organized at a massive game conference she was attending.

Thoughts?

Alceste

Vagabond
It makes sense to me that a large collective of 14 year old boys, and men with the minds of 14 year old boys, would be upset at losing their one way to interact with hot women in skimpy clothes.

Lol. Well, they're fighting a losing battle because, statistically speaking, women generally pay for games and these guys generally don't. The market dictates the product.

Alceste

Vagabond
As someone who has never enjoyed bikini models wielding heavy artillery, I approve.

Exactly. I'm only starting to get into gaming now because with a few notable exceptions, I've found the lack of quality storytelling and credible female characters in most games too irritating to bother with the whole art form. Also, certain gameplay dynamics that happen to be extremely common, like fighting and shooting, don't really appeal to me. I'm not alone in that either. A female friend of mine only yesterday fed me back the exact same questions I feed my husband to filter out games I know I'm not going to enjoy. "Is there a good story", "is it all shooting and fighting, or is there other stuff to do?" and "Are there any interesting female characters?"

I'm not sure I quite understand the histrionic outpourings of mob hate that pursue virtually all women (and men) of a certain level of notoriety who ask these questions online.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
It kills me that people are being so god damn stupid about this. Good on the website for telling them to move on.

EDIT: Just noticed this is in the Feminist DIR. I don't exactly identify as a feminist, but I like equality. Do with my post as you see fit.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
It kills me that people are being so god damn stupid about this. Good on the website for telling them to move on.

It kills me too! I went and read a post on some site called men and games or something to see what kind of arguments the internet misogynist horde has to offer in their own defense. He devoted over half his (really lengthy) post to Zoe Quinn's sex life, even while saying in the middle "this is NOT about Zoe Quinn's sex life!". (That sentence was immediately followed by an <H3> subheading for the following several paragraphs: "Zoe Quinn".) I was actually laughing by then.

Oh yeah, and he started out by whining that this was a lover's spat that should have blown over long ago, but for the corrupt gaming press. You know what I do when I'm annoyed a stupid bit of gossip hasn't blown over? I rush to the computer and tap out a 4000 word essay, complete with links, screen shots and references, about the stupid bit of gossip in question.

What a blazing idiot. I'll see if I can find it again for the lolz.

Meh. Tried a little, couldn't find it immediately, couldn't be bothered.

Alceste

Vagabond

EDIT: Just noticed this is in the Feminist DIR. I don't exactly identify as a feminist, but I like equality. Do with my post as you see fit.

Thanks for noticing. I have no problem with your post being here or your further participation, but I appreciate your respect for the DIR concept. I was actually tempted to stick this in general discussion, but I think for now it's better off here.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Thanks for noticing. I have no problem with your post being here or your further participation, but I appreciate your respect for the DIR concept. I was actually tempted to stick this in general discussion, but I think for now it's better off here.
OK, sounds good.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It makes sense to me that a large collective of 14 year old boys, and men with the minds of 14 year old boys, would be upset at losing their one way to interact with hot women in skimpy clothes.

Except that, you know, they're not in danger of losing that at all.

Normally, I'd be against that kind of exclusion of a group based on opinion, but considering all that's been happening lately, it's fine with me in this case. It's one of the reasons why I, as a gamer, rarely participate in the general gaming community: too many people feel threatened by the Straw Man's feminism.

Last edited:

Delta-9

I don't know if I can post here, what does RF consider to be "feminist"? I view myself as a realist, there are statistical/biological differences, yet individuals vary in skill/talent with overlap between the genders so focus on individual ability and equal opportunity.

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't know if I can post here, what does RF consider to be "feminist"? I view myself as a realist, there are statistical/biological differences, yet individuals vary in skill/talent with overlap between the genders so focus on individual ability and equal opportunity.

I'm just going to ask the mods to move this to general discussion. :) You might as well speak your mind.

Alceste

Vagabond
But Call of Duty is ****.

Oh and had this Tim also Sex with Zoey?

I don't care who Tim is screwing. His sex life is his own business. Unless of course he wants to screw me... I am after all very impressed with his writing and intelligence . :D

Flankerl

Gamergate pretty much shows that its not okay when female "game developers" whore around the gaming "Journalists" to get favorable reviews, articles and the general reaction of these "Journalists" is "The number you are calling is no longer....".

Not really sure if one should rate games on the premise of the intercourse with its creator. But perhaps iam just missing out on a great way to earn money.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I love video games as much as the next guy, but the communty/culture is the lowest common denominator of the lowest common denominator.

Alceste

Vagabond
I love video games as much as the next guy, but the communty/culture is the lowest common denominator of the lowest common denominator.

I agree with you there. The forum where this horde was spawned is the butt hole of the armpit of the Internet.

The interesting thing is that the "scandal" has got game developers thinking more than ever about gender in their games, and the majority of them are planning to do better for female gamers in the future. They're also rallying around female coders and realizing the sexually frustrated, pimply loners playing in their parents' basement and tweeting rape and death threats to feminists between games don't deserve all the hard work that goes into making a game. And they don't pay for games as often as women do.

So they can sod off, and nobody will miss them.

Alceste

Vagabond
Gamergate pretty much shows that its not okay when female "game developers" whore around the gaming "Journalists" to get favorable reviews, articles and the general reaction of these "Journalists" is "The number you are calling is no longer....".

Not really sure if one should rate games on the premise of the intercourse with its creator. But perhaps iam just missing out on a great way to earn money.

Yuck.

Flankerl

I agree with you there. The forum where this horde was spawned is the butt hole of the armpit of the Internet.

The interesting thing is that the "scandal" has got game developers thinking more than ever about gender in their games, and the majority of them are planning to do better for female gamers in the future. They're also rallying around female coders and realizing the sexually frustrated, pimply loners playing in their parents' basement and tweeting rape and death threats to feminists between games don't deserve all the hard work that goes into making a game. And they don't pay for games as often as women do.

So they can sod off, and nobody will miss them.

Ah the black vs white approach. Well why not.

Correct thats what it is.