• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game: Help me name my new puppy

What should I name my new female puppy?

• Total voters

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Dear Fellow RF'ians

This game is called: Help me name my new puppy ( female Havanese: link )

Please choose from the options above in the poll. If you choose the option for "not listed" please reply with the name you would choose for us based on what you know about me and about the dog I'm choosing.

This is posted in the Games sub-forum, so have fun and be free with your discourse
( as long as it is in accordance with RF rules, naturally. )

Thank you for reading and/or participating in this game:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background:

in late 2018 our family lost our two dogs due to old age. They were our first children. They were the reason we felt like we ( my wife and I ) were capable of being good parents. Before having dogs, we both felt like we would never have kids of our own. Seriously.

But now, the whole family, all 4 of us, are ready to bring another furry companion back into the house. For the past two years, I myself have been taking the role of the furry companion in the family... didn't work out so well... I digress.

The dog needs to be Hypo-allergenic, so we went on a wait-list a while ago. About 6 weeks ago we received the email that a healthy litter had been born and we were 2 on the wait-list. If it works out, we will be getting a Havanese puppy in 4 weeks. The entire family is ecstatic. There is electricity in the air.

The kids can't think of names right now. All they are thinking about is "puppy". That's it's name when I asked them. Right now, to the kids, it's named "ThePuppy". My wife and I being a bit more pragmatic, have narrowed down the list to 4 names. These are the ones listed above in the poll. As far as we know we are getting a little girl puppy; so, they are all girl names.

However feel free to offer boy names too as a, just-in-case / fail-safe / fall-back name if the puppy we end up with is a boy.

Thank you again,

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I'm happy for you all!
Saw the picture... they are cute!

Reminds me of Benji (boy name, though; I think)

I like your names, except Estie. I lean toward Misha.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
My vote is for "Neshama" which colloquially means "sweetie," a term of endearment, but literally means "soul" in Hebrew. (I'm probably not telling you anything new! But for us others.... ;))

She'd probably end up being called "Nesha" for short, which is pretty close to one of your options, Misha. Hmmm? Whaddya think? It might even work for a boy puppy.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Lucky that we all know that all life owns its death one day, to get over the loss of a dog that they loved.

I had a dog named Shep, she died mysteriously when I was being ground irradiated, and would bark and growl at unseen things.

My new dog, she does the same thing, but Father in spirit told me she is safe for the planet changed the attack of the ground. So I know the love between a human and their puppy is real, and life is what it is.

I love all the names puppies are just cute.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to suggest 'Rhody'.
It's a Cuban name, and means Rose.

I noticed that you had 'Rosie' as a possible name, so I'm kinda just putting a Cuban twist on it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We have a history of naming pets rather oddly, for example our last cat was named "cooking fat", luckily the spoonerism was lost on our children.

I wouldn't take it to that extent so something simple like

Behave
Stopit
Heyyou
Getdown
Etc

:rolleyes:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If you choose the option for "not listed" please reply with the name you would choose for us based on what you know about me and about the dog I'm choosing.
Game: Help me name my new puppy

You could call her "God" or "My Lord", such a sweet puppy. You will call all day "Dear God" or "My Lord" (Kills two birds with one stone)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I would have a few names at the ready (which it appears you already do). Wait until you spend a bit of time with her and determine which one best fits her personality. It might not be any of the ones you picked out.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I agree with Salix. I believe the name of any being becomes apparent once you have met and communicate. We've never sat and tried to think of names for our cats. Multi-faceted as these deities are, it does mean they end up with more than one name; but being cats this is no problem as they ignore any and all names. (Sometimes people think we have more cats than we actually have!)
Provisional names only then till you get to know each other, IMHO.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I would have a few names at the ready (which it appears you already do). Wait until you spend a bit of time with her and determine which one best fits her personality. It might not be any of the ones you picked out.

We had to change one for more practical reasons.
We had a five year old dog named 'Reggie' and then named a pup 'Archie'.

Turns out Archie had a lot of trouble distinguishing those 2 words.
So he became 'Archer'. Problem solved.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
We had to change one for more practical reasons.
We had a five year old dog named 'Reggie' and then named a pup 'Archie'.

Turns out Archie had a lot of trouble distinguishing those 2 words.
So he became 'Archer'. Problem solved.

This is a great point. Pets can't distinguish between such similar sounding names. Same goes for commands. "No" and "go" sound the same to them.

It is smart to pick names that are very distinct from each other, and the same holds true when training a pet with commands (cats will ignore you anyway and do what they want).

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
My vote is for "Neshama" which colloquially means "sweetie," a term of endearment, but literally means "soul" in Hebrew. (I'm probably not telling you anything new! But for us others.... ;))

She'd probably end up being called "Nesha" for short, which is pretty close to one of your options, Misha. Hmmm? Whaddya think? It might even work for a boy puppy.
We thought of using Hebrew names. The one we were considering is Tovah ( Good-Girl ) but opted for something in English just to avoid the repeated explanations about the name means.

But it is a cool idea, thanks for sharing it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Update: We think we're going with Tilly-Jane.

The 2nd choice was Rosie, but it does sound a bit to much like "No".

We're meeting the litter this Friday morning.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There is also a special name used only when one of the cats decides to howl like a banshee at four in the morning.
I'm unable to say what this special name is because of RF forum rule #5. Suffice to say, it rhymes with ****.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Dear Fellow RF'ians

This game is called: Help me name my new puppy ( female Havanese: link )

Please choose from the options above in the poll. If you choose the option for "not listed" please reply with the name you would choose for us based on what you know about me and about the dog I'm choosing.

This is posted in the Games sub-forum, so have fun and be free with your discourse
( as long as it is in accordance with RF rules, naturally. )

Thank you for reading and/or participating in this game:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background:

in late 2018 our family lost our two dogs due to old age. They were our first children. They were the reason we felt like we ( my wife and I ) were capable of being good parents. Before having dogs, we both felt like we would never have kids of our own. Seriously.

But now, the whole family, all 4 of us, are ready to bring another furry companion back into the house. For the past two years, I myself have been taking the role of the furry companion in the family... didn't work out so well... I digress.

The dog needs to be Hypo-allergenic, so we went on a wait-list a while ago. About 6 weeks ago we received the email that a healthy litter had been born and we were 2 on the wait-list. If it works out, we will be getting a Havanese puppy in 4 weeks. The entire family is ecstatic. There is electricity in the air.

The kids can't think of names right now. All they are thinking about is "puppy". That's it's name when I asked them. Right now, to the kids, it's named "ThePuppy". My wife and I being a bit more pragmatic, have narrowed down the list to 4 names. These are the ones listed above in the poll. As far as we know we are getting a little girl puppy; so, they are all girl names.

However feel free to offer boy names too as a, just-in-case / fail-safe / fall-back name if the puppy we end up with is a boy.

Thank you again,

Our first cat was named Waneta, as she aged she lost one of her fangs so the name, athough sounding the same to the cat, was changed to one-eater?

ChristineM

Premium Member
There is also a special name used only when one of the cats decides to howl like a banshee at four in the morning.
I'm unable to say what this special name is because of RF forum rule #5. Suffice to say, it rhymes with ****.

We solved that problem with a spoonerism, not for howling but for tripping over her at at daft o'clock in the morning. Next morning when the kids asked what did dad shout last night the reply gave our cat her name... "Cooking Fat"