• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fylgjur

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Has anyone ever heard of the concept of the Fylgjur or of hamingja? They are concepts from the Norse variety of shamanism. Is having a lion as a fylgja significant in any way?

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
It would seem odd to me to have an animal that never existed in the Norse homelands to be a Fylgjur, unless what it means is that you are hitting a current probably much older than the arrival of Indo-Europeans to the continent. Either a memory or spirit from places where they had been previous or of a neolithic cave lion. Can you tell us in what context you contacted this spirit?

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
Has anyone ever heard of the concept of the Fylgjur or of hamingja? They are concepts from the Norse variety of shamanism. Is having a lion as a fylgja significant in any way?

Well, if memory serves, the flygja was usually a domestic animal when it appeared, or as a woman. The form itself wasn't really important, but it does seem to have been connected with a person's disposition and mannerisms. I recall one mention of a young boy in an Icelandic saga who tripped and one of the men in the hall (his grandfather, I believe?) laughed and remarked that a white bear cub was what caused him to trip... I'd have to dig up the exact saga it happens in. If memory serves, whenever flygjur appear in written sources, it's always an omen of death or disaster, since the fygja is going to move to another family member or offer advice against the approaching threat.

And it should be noted that old Norse society wasn't shamanic itself, and applying the label of shamanism can cause misunderstanding about the roles of flygjur and hamingja. :)

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
It would seem odd to me to have an animal that never existed in the Norse homelands to be a Fylgjur, unless what it means is that you are hitting a current probably much older than the arrival of Indo-Europeans to the continent. Either a memory or spirit from places where they had been previous or of a neolithic cave lion. Can you tell us in what context you contacted this spirit?

I was in a half-dream state before "waking up" to a night-terror. I saw and felt like my energy was being tapped into by another energetic-type being. I realized this and started to defend myself within the dream, and right before I awoke I heard a lion roar and saw for an instant, a lion attacking the image.

It was very strange, because these sorts of things do not normally happen.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
And it should be noted that old Norse society wasn't shamanic itself, and applying the label of shamanism can cause misunderstanding about the roles of flygjur and hamingja. :)

I am aware of this. I used the term for lack of a better one. I apologize for creating any confusion.

There were Norse Shamanic paths, so it is appropriate. Check out Seidr, and just look at Odin... he's a strong shaman presence about him