• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Further Proof That Dem's Support Illegal's Who Are Committing Crimesr

esmith

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure you can't say Poof on RF, its a form of hate speech
Fixed.
But the last time I checked the definition of "poof" is
Source
Dictionary result for poof
/po͝of,po͞of/
exclamation
  1. 1.
    used to convey the suddenness with which someone or something disappears.
    "once you've used it, poof—it's gone"
  2. 2.
    used to express contemptuous dismissal.
    "“Oh, poof!” said Will. “You say that every year.

So where did you come up with your definition.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't understand this deontological obsession with "law." Law doesn't determine morality, or right and wrong.
Doesn't one have a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws?

The US was born of a rejection of law; of an assertion of universal "natural rights."

Considering this popular, and often government supported, obsession with legally skirting human rights, legal rights, "Christian values" and, indeed, American Values, I can only conclude a certain portion of the population is amoral, at best, and more motivated by xenophobia and tribalism than by compassion, fairness, or, indeed, any concept of human rights.

Neither race, nationality, nor location have any effect on our moral obligation to others.
Law doesn't trump the Golden Rule.

esmith

Veteran Member
I don't understand this deontological obsession with "law." Law doesn't determine morality, or right and wrong.

The US was born of a rejection of law; of an assertion of universal "natural rights."

Considering this popular, and often government supported, obsession with legally skirting human rights, legal rights, "Christian values" and, indeed, American Values, I can only conclude a certain portion of the population is amoral, at best, and more motivated by xenophobia and tribalism than by compassion, fairness, or, indeed, any concept of human rights.

Neither race, nationality, nor location have any effect on our moral obligation to others.
Without laws there is chaos.
If we did not have laws what would stop someone for not treating someone as they would wish to be treated?
I believe it is something called consequences not the "golden rule".

Jose Fly

Fisker of men

IMO, modern US conservatism has become a white Christian identity movement. It was headed that way before (especially after the election of Obama) and Trump just pushed it over the edge.

Shad

Veteran Member

Just laws are typically seen as coming from a moral code thus maintain and enforce said code.

Yes.

This is too simplistic of a view and assumes too much regarding the actors involved. More so you are assuming two moral compasses in which those that disagree with you have an inferior one based on your own thoughts of what that compass is and the why behind their reasons.

If the law is just and applicable to the individual should it be enforced?

The law in the OP, regardless of the immunity for sponsors, is about a moral obligation to the child.

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Fixed.
But the last time I checked the definition of "poof" is
Source
Dictionary result for poof
/po͝of,po͞of/
exclamation
  1. 1.
    used to convey the suddenness with which someone or something disappears.
    "once you've used it, poof—it's gone"
  2. 2.
    used to express contemptuous dismissal.
    "“Oh, poof!” said Will. “You say that every year.

So where did you come up with your definition.

its the british equivalent of fxggot

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If we did not have laws what would stop someone for not treating someone as they would wish to be treated?
Laws are not bad. Traditionalism is. A legal system where law justifies itself is not one that actually is based on consequences. It's based on authoritarianism.
Laws can be unjust, unjust laws should not be followed.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree, but what are the laws based on? Are they based on fairness, equality, human rights and compassion, or the protection of a particular tribal ethic, irrespective of consequence?

esmith

Veteran Member
I agree, but what are the laws based on? Are they based on fairness, equality, human rights and compassion, or the protection of a particular tribal ethic, irrespective of consequence?
Just whatever I think is right, correct?:)