• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Functional Swimwear

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We'll be going back to the gym soon, and I have been confronted with the fact I need a new swimming suit.

I absolutely hate buying swimming suits... they are extremely expensive for a very small piece of cloth. I literally wore my last one until it fell apart(while I was swimming) due to dislike of the idea of trying to find a new one that fits my standards.

But, I think I've finally found the perfect suit...

51q2xyv+QLL._AC_UX569_.jpg

Now, I don't want this suit for religious reasons, even though its targeted for Muslim women(I don't fit that bill). It is, however, perfect for me. I have blue hair that doesn't do well in chlorine; that hood will better protect my hair(I don't plan on dunking myself). I also have a toddler(and husband:rolleyes:) that likes to pull at my suit-top... this is so high cut, that I don't have to worry about anything falling out!

Have you found any clothing more functional than the commonly used version? This can be in the pool, or elsewhere.

(@Rival , thought you might appreciate this suit. )

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
We'll be going back to the gym soon, and I have been confronted with the fact I need a new swimming suit.

I absolutely hate buying swimming suits... they are extremely expensive for a very small piece of cloth. I literally wore my last one until it fell apart(while I was swimming) due to dislike of the idea of trying to find a new one that fits my standards.

View attachment 68683

Now, I don't want this suit for religious reasons, even though its targeted for Muslim women(I don't fit that bill). It is, however, perfect for me. I have blue hair that doesn't do well in chlorine; that hood will better protect my hair(I don't plan on dunking myself). I also have a toddler(and husband:rolleyes:) that likes to pull at my suit-top... this is so high cut, that I don't have to worry about anything falling out!

Have you found any clothing more functional than the commonly used version? This can be in the pool, or elsewhere.

Will you be twinning it with yellow boots trimmed with faux fur?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've always hated suits.
So for the past couple decades, I've worn
Hawaiian shirts to weddings, even daughter's.
Oddly, I'm the only one to have discovered this
liberating & comfortable fashion tool.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Will you be twinning it with yellow boots trimmed with faux fur?

One shouldn't wear boots in the pool...

Actually, one should only utilize footwear where policy requires they do so.

I've always hated suits.

I don't get the attraction of suits... they don't look good, I'm sure they don't feel good, and everyone wearing one always complains they're too warm.

Good for you for finding something more practical.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

View attachment 68683

At this point, wouldn't it better to wear something like

cdec9d32-60df-471d-b217-9cc09f0532b9.jpeg

With a swimming cap?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One shouldn't wear boots in the pool...

Actually, one should only utilize footwear where policy requires they do so.

I don't get the attraction of suits... they don't look good, I'm sure they don't feel good, and everyone wearing one always complains they're too warm.

Good for you for finding something more practical.
Suits are restricting, hot, spendy, common, & generally dull.
The only flourish allowed is the tie. (No more handkerchiefs
in the chest pocket...either precious or too old school.)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
At this point, wouldn't it better to wear something like

D_NQ_NP_649683-MLB50054898962_052022-O.webp

With a swimming cap?

You could. There isn't a lot of difference.

Though the swimming hood is included in the other one, no need to order separately. Those things can get expensive..

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've always hated suits.
Me too. The day after I retired from teaching I took the one and only suit I owned to Goodwill. If it weren't from the traditional Hindu attire (which is very comfortable) that I wear to temples, I could live with t-shirts and jeans, and a couple of warm sweaters in winter.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

View attachment 68683

Reminds me of the beach we went to in Mauritius. The Muslims on the island would be there in these, right along with the scantily dressed Europeans and other locals. It was a smorgasbord of swimwear ... and nobody cared. My favorite sight was the old French 'tourists' (many owned condos, would winter in Mauritius, like Canucks winter in Floirda or Phoenix) who kept smokes in their sunhats, would wade in to their necks, then light up a smoke, all the while with 3 or 4 others, in a circle, shooting the breeze.

exchemist

Veteran Member

View attachment 68683

Anything without a tie is more functional than an outfit with one. A tie is, from a functional viewpoint, a perfectly useless garment. Though it has a decorative and stylistic function and I do think that dressing with some style can be important.

(Mind you, one of my tutors at university always wore one, claiming that it reduced heat loss through the neck of his shirt! But that's the kind of person that lives in the colleges of our ancient universities............;) )

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Anything without a tie is more functional than an outfit with one. A tie is, from a functional viewpoint, a perfectly useless garment. Though it has a decorative and stylistic function and I do think that dressing with some style can be important.

(Mind you, one of my tutors at university always wore one, claiming that it reduced heat loss through the neck of his shirt! But that's the kind of person that lives in the colleges of our ancient universities............;) )

When my oldest was in elementary school, he wore a tie every day(by choice).

Actually, it helped get him out of his shell. Like many kids on the spectrum, he didn't like greeting people, and preferred to look at his feet. The assistant principle would make a point to seek him out daily so they could compare ties. At first, my son mostly ignored him, but little by little, he started to look forward to his visit, to the point where he would start seeking him out instead of the other way around. It was really awesome.

exchemist

Veteran Member
When my oldest was in elementary school, he wore a tie every day(by choice).

Actually, it helped get him out of his shell. Like many kids on the spectrum, he didn't like greeting people, and preferred to look at his feet. The assistant principle would make a point to seek him out daily so they could compare ties. At first, my son mostly ignored him, but little by little, he started to look forward to his visit, to the point where he would start seeking him out instead of the other way around. It was really awesome.
What a clever principal!

My wife, being Parisian was a great believer in style, though she was far from a slave to it, and I think she was right. She almost never dressed with no concern for her appearance. It can lift your mood and enhance your self-esteem and you can find you get treated with more respect by other people. So, whatever outfit you choose, I would recommend you do not choose on function alone.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
What a clever principal!

My wife, being Parisian was a great believer in style, though she was far from a slave to it, and I think she was right. She almost never dressed with no concern for her appearance. It can lift your mood and enhance your self-esteem and you can find you get treated with more respect by other people. So, whatever outfit you choose, I would recommend you do not choose on function alone.

I agree very much with your wife.

I put a lot of thought into my clothes. Nothing in my closet would be considered trendy or popular, but I get a lot of compliments on my clothes. Everything I have is something I love and I put a lot of consideration into what I bother to purchase.

I've learned to mix function and beauty. A knee length dress is fine for going to run errands or a doctor's appointment, but if I'm going to be chasing children, Punjabi style salwar kameez is what I'd go to(the perfect example of beauty and function).

However, swimwear is all function for me. I just want to get in and out of the water with my hair color and body parts where they should be.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you found any clothing more functional than the commonly used version?
Every year about this time I'm faced with the same dilemma: it's too hot during the day to wear pants, but it's too cold at night to wear shorts, so I have to carry a pair of both with me.

This year what I've decided to do is to start wearing sweatpants under my cargo shorts at night. This way I don't have to go through the hassle of transferring everything from the shorts pockets (and I usually have things in all six packets) to the pockets of my pants.

Also won't have to transfer my belt and both of my utility pouches (one for my phone, one for my wallet).

I figure it'll save me about 20 minutes everyday, probably be warmer at night, and definitely be more comfortable.

@JustGeorge be sure to post some pictures when you get your new swimsuit.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Every year about this time I'm faced with the same dilemma: it's too hot during the day to wear pants, but it's too cold at night to wear shorts, so I have to carry a pair of both with me.

This year what I've decided to do is to start wearing sweatpants under my cargo shorts at night. This way I don't have to go through the hassle of transferring everything from the shorts pockets (and I usually have things in all six packets) to the pockets of my pants.

Also won't have to transfer my belt and both of my utility pouches (one for my phone, one for my wallet).

I figure it'll save me about 20 minutes everyday, probably be warmer at night, and definitely be more comfortable.

Its been abnormally cold here this year; we already have a snow covering.

I think a person would need 3 pairs of pants to stay warm, and then the cargo shorts...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

With a kilt you can be equally uncomfortable
in both hot & cold temperatures.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would post some of my suggestions but I fear that I would have to hide them behind a spoiler or put them on the eros part of the forum.:(:(:(