• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From The Heart of an Honest Muslim!

muhammad_isa

Now it could be that you're translation is more accurate than theirs, but if I could place a bet, my money would be with those guys. :)

We've already told you that the contents of brackets are not literally translated.
If you wish to say that you agree with their commentary/implied meaning, that's fine. Not everybody speaks English, you know :)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
We've already told you that the contents of brackets are not literally translated.
If you wish to say that you agree with their commentary/implied meaning, that's fine. Not everybody speaks English, you know :)

Not sure what your comment about English speakers means in this case. This IS an English translation, that's a given. As for me saying "intent" and you saying "implied meaning", can I take that to mean we're largely agreeing here? If you want me to say: "The translators added the parenthetical clause in order to convey the implied meaning of the original", I'd be happy with that. In which case I'd say that my original claim about Allah's take on music was correct.

muhammad_isa

If you want me to say: "The translators added the parenthetical clause in order to convey the implied meaning of the original", I'd be happy with that..

Good. However, Muslims don't have to go round with a long face, and music is not totally forbidden.
It all depends on the type of music. Some say stringed instruments aren't allowed, quoting hadith.

Almighty God has given us intelligence to use .. there is no need to be extreme and become a paranoid schizoid :worried:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Good. However, Muslims don't have to go round with a long face, and music is not totally forbidden.
It all depends on the type of music. Some say stringed instruments aren't allowed, quoting hadith.

Almighty God has given us intelligence to use .. there is no need to be extreme and become a paranoid schizoid :worried:

So does that mean you pick and choose which parts of Islam to follow? If so, that would be a welcome relief!