• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From 'born again' to agnostic

Luminous

non-existential luminary
These are atheists writing a biased piece. Presupposition demands it.
That is quite possible, as they don't provide me with suficient evidence, but than again...neither do you; and at least in their view I could prove them wrong or right if I just looked deeper, so I'll trust their conclusions more than your's for now.

Danmac

What mindset? The fact that the Lord God speaks and reveals the truth to me? He would do the same for you, if you only let go of your lies. Trust me when I tell you that you were NEVER anything that can be relateable to who I am.

I know what it is like to deny God.

Danmac

That is quite possible, as they don't provide me with suficient evidence, but than again...neither do you; and at least in their view I could prove them wrong or right if I just looked deeper, so I'll trust their conclusions more than your's for now.

Don't take my word for anything. Don't be afraid to be skeptical of atheists pieces on religion though.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I know what it is like to deny God.
Of course you do because that is what you do by denying the Truth of Agnosticism and walking away from the fact that God is beyond your comprehension and that IT allowed you to be born Agnostic.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Don't take my word for anything. Don't be afraid to be skeptical of atheists pieces on religion though.
oh I am skeptical...Its just that its hard to tell when someone is an anti-agnostic atheist or not. Secular people often tend not to be as wrong as Dogmatists, like I said: history can be looked into, and so far they have provided far more information than your kind. maybe if you were to prove them wrong, or show that they are blatantly lying...

Blackdog22

Indeed
Joh 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said,IT IS FINISHED : and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

But isn't it of the belief that Jesus has yet to fulfill so many of the Old Testament prophesies because he will come again? So wouldn't that mean that "Everything" isn't accomplished. If all is accomplished then were in Heaven right now. I just gotta tell you though. it isn't as nice as everyone said it would be.

I
t sure differed here.....

Luke 22:41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless NOT MY WILL, but, THINE be done.

Interesting point to bring up. Jesus' motivation does differ from Gods. This is simple proof of that. Maybe that explains why so many of his teachings go against the God of the Old Testament. After all turning ones cheek and turning someone into a pillar of salt is a pretty drastic change of heart. You do know this among other things is why the Jews reject Jesus as the son of God. The son of Gods values would resemble Gods, his desires would follow Gods. Here we see something different. I do wonder...

The Son is a manifestation of the Father, bearing His more humble attributes. If you are talking of judgment, then you are speaking of the third part of the trinity.

So would it then be possible for the humbleness of the Son and the Anger and brutality of the father to become at odds with one another? How do we know Jesus wasn't sent by some other entity to clean up the mess the previous entity(old God) had made? He sure painted a better picture. Doesn't really make him God though.

emiliano

So you put it to the back of your mind. You have to take the bible and it supposed creator in its entirety.

Why do you continue to worship such a truly evil, narcissistic being. Why do you worship a supposedly ALL POWERFUL being who allows all sorts of evil and punishment. I mean you can say "no one can understand gods will". However no matter what his reasons are he stills sits by and does nothing whilst there is such pain and suffering.

What kind of being could be that callous?

I agree that the biblical hell is not meant to be all fire and brimstone. But it is meant to be that horrible that it is used as threat to make people believe in him.

What kind of callous being would be that narcissistic. Perhaps instead of praising god you could help him find some inner happiness of himself, because external sources of happiness will not fill the hole that he has.

-Q

Why do you think that God is evil?
What is your definition of evil?
Like most unbeliever I think that you are confused, how can you ask “Why do you worship a supposedly ALL POWERFUL being who allows all sorts of evil and punishment” and in one hand saying that there is no God?
Then how this can be reconciled with the other statement“However no matter what his reasons are he stills sits by and does nothing whilst there is such pain and suffering“.
On the one hand you accuse Him of been cruel because He punish and also accuse Him of sitting and do nothing.
I worship God for His goodness, the creation show it clearly.
Mat 5:45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
God punish us when we are evil and reward us when we a good. is He unjust?

The Neo Nerd

Why do you think that God is evil?

Murdering, genocide, patricide, slavery and torture.

You have read the whole bible right? Not just the nice fluffy bits?

What is your definition of evil?
Of course evil is a subjective concept, however i'm sure you'd agree that murder, genocide, patricide, slavery and torture would count as evil.

You would agree that these acts are evil wouldn't you?

Like most unbeliever I think that you are confused, how can you ask “Why do you worship a supposedly ALL POWERFUL being who allows all sorts of evil and punishment” and in one hand saying that there is no God?
I don't believe in god, however she does. I do not need to believe in god to put forward that argument.

Many xtians argue about evolution and they don't believe in it.

Then how this can be reconciled with the other statement“However no matter what his reasons are he stills sits by and does nothing whilst there is such pain and suffering“.
See above. It is quite a ridiculous question i'm sure that if you thought about it you would have come up with the same answer

On the one hand you accuse Him of been cruel because He punish and also accuse Him of sitting and do nothing.
Gods douchebaggery has many facets.

I worship God for His goodness, the creation show it clearly.
And where does all the evil he does fit into your view of him?

Do you even allow this fact to enter your mind?

jml03

Why did he not take the drugs out of your system, why did he not find a good home for your baby. Why did he not make you a better mother.

He is after all ALL POWERFUL. I don't think you understand the concept of ALL POWERFUL.

I'm sure the being that brought the ENTIRETY OF EXISTENCE in existence with a single word would have the ability to take away your drug addiction, give your daughter a extremely happy life and make you believe a couple of thoughts.

-Q

P.S. It pleases me that you have recovered from your addiction and have found yourself a wonderful family. Never ever forget YOU did that. I have no doubt that YOU fought your drug addiction. That YOU dragged yourself out of the "gutter". That YOU struggled to make your life the way it is now.

You are a credit to human kind.

He could have, and He did. He did it in a way that I became better in all accounts. Had He just said "poof" and fixed me, would I have appreciated what had happened? no. Had He just done it, then I would not have the testimony that I have today. I understand your feelings on this subject, but I just differ in my belief.

Misty

He could have, and He did. He did it in a way that I became better in all accounts. Had He just said "poof" and fixed me, would I have appreciated what had happened? no. Had He just done it, then I would not have the testimony that I have today. I understand your feelings on this subject, but I just differ in my belief.

If you believe something to be true it can work miracles even if there is no substance to the belief.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
When the New Testament church was born, it needed its own body of laws. The Law of Moses was for the purpose of governing a theocracy. The laws contained in the Pentateuch do not belong to the Gentile Church. Jesus gave new instructions to His followers. You know, the love your enemy stuff.:flirt:

Acts 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 'Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfil.
(Verse 18) For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
(Verse 19) Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So, no ten commandments for you then? I guess you would agree with Jesus that I should be killed?

[/FONT]"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.” (Luke 19:27 KJV)

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
And after all, who gives a damn about Mahatma Gandhi or Socrates, right? As long as it's not happening to you. That's the extent of God's mercy.

The first part, you nailed it. I have questioned God. I buried a child - my own. That raised alot of questions. Anger, rage, depression, helplessness ----- so much. But, EVERYTHING, even the loss of my little girl, happens for a reason. God supplied more after that loss that I could have asked for. I married a man with 2 daughters, thus I was immediately given children. I now have 2 of my own, as well. Everything happens for a reason and I thank God that He knows better than me.

NO, you put words into my mouth. I'm not here to judge anyone. I'm not going to say who goes to hell and does not. If you read my posts you will see that. And, either way, whatever Hell may be like - no, I'm proud to say I do not fear it. Jesus went to prepare a place in Heaven for me. I need not worry too much about the rest. I believe in what He promised me. I'm not here for Ghandi or Socrates. They are not even here. And, I don't have to decide where they are. Why does it concern you? Do you not believe in any hereafter anyway?

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine anything worse. I'm glad you could find comfort.

What I got from your post, though, was that as long as you're safe in heaven, you don't care what happens to the rest of us.

No, I do not believe the hereafter, but I do believe that what people believe matters and reveals their values. I believe that you, Gandhi, Socrates and Jeffrey Dahmer all end up in the same place--dead. btw, on a humorous side note, Jeffrey Dahmer died accepting Christ as his redeemer, so by Christian doctrine you should end up in heaven with him, while Gandhi and Socrates rot in hell with me.

sniper762

autodidact, you say that you have questioned god but you are an athiest. i dont understand

how can you question one that you dont believe exists?

Misty

Jeffrey Dahmer died accepting Christ as his redeemer, so by Christian doctrine you should end up in heaven with him, while Gandhi and Socrates rot in hell with me.

Wouldn't that be wonderful if that was true, NOT!:eek:

Danmac

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 'Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfil.
(Verse 18) For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
(Verse 19) Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So, no ten commandments for you then? I guess you would agree with Jesus that I should be killed?

[/FONT]"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.” (Luke 19:27 KJV)

Are you suggesting that my Holy book has a proper interpretation?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Are you suggesting that my Holy book has a proper interpretation?

I guess some are better than others--the ones based on the most accurate translation, taking into account the values, biases and history of the authors. Why do you ask?