• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freewill compatible with materialism

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
Autodidact requested I create this thread so here it is! :D

I used to be a materialist and this very topic turned me towards mysticism and spiritualism.

If nature determines all things, doesn't that mean we are determined by nature? In a sense we all would be automatons, programmed by nature through our genes and environment, and in the end just stimulous-response machines.

Thoughts?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB

I used to be a materialist and this very topic turned me towards mysticism and spiritualism.

If nature determines all things, doesn't that mean we are determined by nature? In a sense we all would be automatons, programmed by nature through our genes and environment, and in the end just stimulous-response machines.

Thoughts?

Ehr, I agree :D

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
If we are products of causal relationships, then our choices are our own. A choice may be determined by prior experience, but that prior experience is a part of us.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
there is such a thing as a moment of choice....
Up to that point things may seem to be equally balanced and the various influences on us in a state of chaotic flux.
It is certain we have the ability to chose, even in times of extreme peril, a course of action which may be against our self interest.
Free will does not have to be recognisably rational.

ladybug83

If nature determines all things, doesn't that mean we are determined by nature?
How exactly does nature determine all things? As human beings, I agree that we are naturally inclined to do things against God, to make mistakes or bad choices. Nonetheless, we do have free agency and nothing can determine an outcome except choice. Our free will and intelligence are the foundation of our choices, and our choices determine everything from what we wear to how we live.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
The belief we are not a product entirely of outside sources/experiences/etc is egotistical, quite human, quite flawed, quite necessary for some people to function.

But above all quite wrong.

Febble

Thoughts?

She also requested I register here to discuss the topic with you! And she's not easy to refuse....

I had exactly the same view until recently - in fact my justification for remaining a theist was that without some kind of dualism, there is no ultimate moral responsibility (which is NOT the same as saying that without believing in dualism one cannot behave morally). So I chose to assume dualism (i.e. the notion that the thing I refer to as "I" is an autonomous moral agent), and embedded that in a theistic framework (if people can be dual, I thought I might as well get a dualistic universe for free).

A poster on another forum suggested that I read Dennett's "Freedom Evolves", and I did. It probably wouldn't have had the impact it did had it not been for some hints in the same direction from elsewhere, but the fact is that it had an enormous impact on the way I think about the relationship between myself (that autonomous "I") and the rest of the universe, i.e. about religion (because I think that is what religion is - the way we think about the relationship between ourselves and the rest of the universe, including other people, of course).

Dennett's trick/insight is to regard the actual drawing of the boundaries of the self as a Self-Forming Act (SFA). In other words, the accepting of moral responsibility is the process by which we define ourselves as moral agents. Thus, if we assing the causes of our actions to genes, environment, or bad luck, we are also defining ourselves out of existence. However, if we define ourselves to include parts of those causal chains then we both accept moral responsibility AND acquire an existence.

I'm trying to summarise an entire book here, of course, and in the process missing out key logical steps and also imposing my own interpretation. But I found it deeply inspiring. I don't know whether I can legitimately call myself a theist still, although I still have a profound God-concept. But instead of resting it on what was, in effect, a kludge (an assumption of dualism not supported, although not falsified, by evidence), I now have a God-concept that is entirely natural. I don't know whether a natural God counts as a God, but mine does the same job as my old one used to, actually rather better, so, practically speaking, nothing has changed. Hence, I still call myself a theist.

Cheers

Lizzie

....and hi to autodidact! (hey, there's no hi smiley here....)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There is no such collective as nature.
Nature is simply a convenience used to describe all that is not made.
It has no coherent attributes at all.
Nor does it have any power to influence or coerce as it is not an entity.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse

Thoughts?
We are not separate from nature. We are nature. Nature is our will, our body, our mind, our consiousness, everything that we are.

Fluffy

A fool
Nick,
It is also worth pointing out that whilst a determined will is not free, an undetermined will is similarly so (anticipating an argument from quantum physics).

nutshell said:
I don't know how it happens, but being unable to explain something doesn't mean it's not accurate.
Yes but that is missing the point. I can't explain what a 4 sided triangle would mean and my inability to explain this does not impact on the likelihood of its existence. However, there are more central and logical issues that do. Similarly with the case of something that we determine being also determined by nature.

Random said:
Reduce reductionism to being 100% wrong and try again...
Why is reductionism 100% wrong?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Hi, Febble, and thanks for introducing yourself to Nick, or, as I like to call him, Mr. Soapdish. I know that you both had a deep interest in the problem of free will as related to God, so thought you might enjoy talking with each other.:blowkiss:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Some prelims:
This is one of the hardest problems in philosophy. Which doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it, but I don't know that we should expect to solve it.

How much we may want something to be true has no bearing on whether it is. Sometimes Nick, I catch a whiff of that in your posts, that you want us to have free will, you have concluded that the only way to allow for that is for there to be a God (specifically, Yahweh and His son, Jesus, although I don't know why them in particular) and therefore you believe in God. It may be that we don't have free will. I think we do, without Yahweh or any God, but I just wanted to point that out.

I think it is Cicero who says somewhere in De Fato basically: What difference does it make? That is, if you knew that everything that was ever going to happen was predetermined by an endless chain of causation from the beginning of time, what effect would it have on your actual life?

Even Dawkins, whom I believe is a determinist says basically, well it sure does feel like we have free will.

As I said, I think we do, not that I think I have anything original to contribute to the history of philosophy on the subject, and frankly Febble's post went right over my head, but will try to think on it and explain my views when time permits.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

Hardly.

If we accept your premise ("nature determines all things"), then any concepts of "free will" are tossed out the door. "Nature" doesn't "determine" (or control) freedoms of human choice and discretion/discernment in personal choices...it (nature) only reflects any influential choices that man directly manifests upon nature itself. Mankind may choose to pollute the waters, air, and land it inhabits and depends upon for survival. "Nature" has no opinion nor vote in the resultant outcomes of such choices. "Nature" can only "act" unconsciously...or "naturally"...to the effects perpetrated by mankind's choices of "free will".

Mountains don't "care" if they are scaled by climbers to their peaks.

Oceans don't "care" whether or not sailors successfully traverse their distant shores.

Hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, wildfires, floods, and tornadoes don't "care" about the human condition, or the impact such phenomena may exact upon human "victims".

"Nature" is not a sentient entity unto itself (unless you superstitiously believe that "Nature" is itself some sort of extension of a "god", "spirit", or "force" with a conscious and purpose-driven mind).

Try this premise instead:

"The universe presents neither rewards nor punishments...only consequences."

How does that fit within popular concepts of freewill or materialism?