• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox news: Trump will be reinstated to Twitter

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There you go. Now you understand why it wasn't unreasonable for Twitter to prohibit bigotry and disinformation on its platform.
Is Twitter actually claiming that? Again it's looking at who makes those decisions that are telling. I'm always suspicious about 'misinformation' panels and what and whom they entail.

Even Beliefnet had made provisions for bigots and whatnot in the past. Called Christian Identity. they were allowed to voice their views and opinions albiet with more structured and moderate demeanor.

Twitter needs to do the same if it's to be regarded as a free speech platform. Just restrict it to the proper forum space.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Let's say the truth...
Certain élites used to control Pre-ElonMusk Twitter by setting up a thought police that used to censor any message or information that could expose certain unmentionable truths.
And now the very same élites are preoccupied because their thought police is gone.
Bluntness is needed, at times.
Tell me what these "unmentionable truths" were.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is Twitter actually claiming that? Again it's looking at who makes those decisions that are telling. I'm always suspicious about 'misinformation' panels and what and whom they entail.

Even Beliefnet had made provisions for bigots and whatnot in the past. Called Christian Identity. they were allowed to voice their views and opinions albiet with more structured and moderate demeanor.

Twitter needs to do the same if it's to be regarded as a free speech platform. Just restrict it to the proper forum space.
Give me an example of something you believe was misidentified as disinformation.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. Truth be told I was never a Twitter user so ultimately I don’t really care if it dies or not.
I’m just watching the car crash, eating my popcorn lol
Musk may not care how much money he loses. But he’s seemingly lost in the court of public opinion. There seems to be 10 news stories everyday about how awful a boss he’s been. But if that’s what he wants to do, then more power to him

Yes, that's what it seems to come down to, and I guess one could call it a consequence (or a benefit, depending on one's POV) of living in a free market society. I mean, here we are on the internet, from different countries, talking to each other about politics. People from all over the world do business with each other in a global economy, which is, by design, mostly free and open. Many people like it that way and want it that way, and argue that there's enormous benefits in keeping it that way. And as you mention, the court of public and world opinion is wide open.

The only trouble is, people can't have it both ways. If we decide that everything is for sale, then everything is for sale. We're not in much of a position to complain about someone buying that which one chooses to sell, whether it's a media platform, election influence, or whatever it might be. It's the system the people wanted, so that's how I look at it.

I'm watching the car crash, too, although I don't enjoy popcorn too much anymore. A coffee and donut is more my thing, although sometimes I enjoy crackers with peanut butter.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, that's what it seems to come down to, and I guess one could call it a consequence (or a benefit, depending on one's POV) of living in a free market society. I mean, here we are on the internet, from different countries, talking to each other about politics. People from all over the world do business with each other in a global economy, which is, by design, mostly free and open. Many people like it that way and want it that way, and argue that there's enormous benefits in keeping it that way. And as you mention, the court of public and world opinion is wide open.

Indeed
I agree with folks who want an open and free area to debate and hash out ideas.
It’s better to have your views challenged and discuss them, then living in an echo chamber.
Though these days I also recognise the need for some rules, at least. There needs to be balance

The only trouble is, people can't have it both ways. If we decide that everything is for sale, then everything is for sale. We're not in much of a position to complain about someone buying that which one chooses to sell, whether it's a media platform, election influence, or whatever it might be. It's the system the people wanted, so that's how I look at it.

Ahh this is true. It’s also a trap that I fell into years ago.
I was all about free speech and the marketplace of ideas. But like any extreme view lacking in nuance, that was ultimately unrealistic.
All social media platforms have to abide by the rules set by their own government after all. And private businesses can set whatever rules they wish.
For better or worse, that’s the system we have set up

But yea Twitter is probably the best current example of trying to have your cake and eat it too. Musk allegedly promised to do away with “PC cancel culture” on Twitter. (I swear folks who complain about “woke” whatever on social media are such snowflakes. I know, I used to be one of those cringeworthy folks. How embarrassing!)
Even ignoring for a moment the atrocious working conditions Musk imposed that led to the massive walk out, in the real world there are always consequences. If you set your place up like it’s the Wild West, it will become the Wild West. That’s not appealing to advertisers who like there to be some kind of moderation in order to stem the crazies. And average folks probably won’t like being on a such a platform without any kind of rules to begin with. Since they can be subject to harassment of various kinds, without any kind of way for recompense.
But that’s what Musk apparently wanted so he can live with the results of his precious venue offering ultimate “freedom is speech.” At least until it ultimately crashes.
Who knew you needed more than empty slogans/battlecries to survive in the real world, eh?
I'm watching the car crash, too, although I don't enjoy popcorn too much anymore. A coffee and donut is more my thing, although sometimes I enjoy crackers with peanut butter.
Oh that sounds yummy

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Poe's Law: when something (in this case American conservatives) is so ridiculous that parodies are indistinguishable from the real thing.
I don’t know whether or not to laugh or cry sometimes lol

Like Poe’s Law used to be fun, now it’s hard to go a day without seeing something that invokes it’s use lol

Like I remember watching a review of this “MAGA romance novel” (yes, really) and after a whopping 3 hours, the reviewers still couldn’t really tell if it was brilliant satire or actual real cringe

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Elon Musk says Trump will be reinstated to Twitter after more than 15 million users voted in poll

I don't know much about this yet, this article just kind of popped up in my feed.

What really surprised me is that, apparently, the majority of users voted "yes" on reinstating Trump's account. But if it was mostly Elon Musk followers that did, like if the poll question was asked on Elon Musk's account, it surprises me less.

I left for Mastodon today.
Must confess; it feels good.

Humbly,
Hermit

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Journalists outraged after Elon Musk reinstated Trump's Twitter account: The Russians have 'spoken' (msn.com)

Twitter CEO Elon Musk reinstated former-President Trump’s Twitter account over the weekend, causing waves of condemnation and outrage from reporters and several organizations.

Vox's Kara Swisher appeared to tie the reinstatement of Trump to the shooting at an LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs.

"Only one tweet today since this platform is degenerating by the cell in real time and I don’t have the energy for the screaming numpties today. See the two news stories below? They are inextricably related," Swisher tweeted.

LIBERALS ON TWITTER FUME AFTER MUSK REINSTATES TRUMP TO PLATFORM: 'GOD HELP US'

She also insinuated that Russians played a role in Trump's account being reinstated when Musk held a poll on Twitter asking users if Trump should be allowed back on the platform.

"Look the guy who did the Trump troll, I mean, poll for Elon," she wrote with a gif of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

I can understand that many are upset about this, but to say "God help us" indicates such a level of despondency and despair that I'm not able to fathom. Especially since it appears that Twitter is going to face a quick demise anyway - and the recent election would indicate that Trump's popularity is waning.

So, what's all the panic about? It makes no sense.

A guest essay for The New York Times shared fearful theories of what may happen to America is Trump begins using Twitter again.

Missouri State University professor and co-author of "The Twitter Presidency: Donald J. Trump and the Politics of White Rage," Brian L. Ott, wrote a New York Times opinion piece headlined, "I Studied Trump’s Twitter Use for Six Years. Prepare for the Worst."

He suggested that Musk’s decision to bring back Trump’s account would be his worst yet.

"But nothing Musk has done and undone is nearly as concerning as his decision to suddenly reinstate former President Donald Trump’s account," he wrote.

Musk put Twitter on the path towards self-destruction before he reinstated Trump's account, so I'm not sure how this can make it any worse.

"As someone who has been studying Mr. Trump’s Twitter use since before he was elected president, I believe that his return would mean the heightened spread of both misinformation and disinformation, the proliferation of degrading and dehumanizing discourse, the further mainstreaming of hate speech and the erosion of democratic norms and institutions," Ott wrote. "But there is something else: Mr. Trump’s return to Twitter could escalate the likelihood of political violence."

He continued, "For Mr. Trump, the desire for revenge has long involved symbolic violence in the form of speech that aggressively demeans and dehumanizes others. Such speech risks sparking material violence," he warned. "For Mr. Trump, the desire for revenge has long involved symbolic violence in the form of speech that aggressively demeans and dehumanizes others. Such speech risks sparking material violence.

NAACP President Derrick Johnson reportedly called upon advertisers to halt their business with Twitter.

"If Elon Musk continues to run Twitter like this, using garbage polls that do not represent the American people and the needs of our democracy, God help us all," Johnson added.

Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt reacted to Trump’s reinstatement by suggesting he could become a threat to "democracy" and appeared to theorize about the end of Twitter.

"For @elonmusk to allow Donald Trump back on Twitter, ostensibly after a brief poll, shows he is not remotely serious about safeguarding the platform from hate, harassment and misinformation," he wrote.

Greenblatt added that "@elonmusk's decisions over the last month have been erratic and alarming, but this decision is dangerous and a threat to American democracy. We need to ask — is it time for Twitter to go?"

Musk responded by poking fun at the Anti-Defamation League’s name, "Hey stop defaming me!"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ah...I didn't know this representative had been victimized by the Twitter thought dictatorship.
A freedom of speech massacre, indeed.
Thought gibbitude.
Twitter is a private enterprise that supports a venue with
rules. Users know they can be booted for violations.
RF has rules too. Do you want totally unrestricted
speech here? If you don't like a platform with rules,
you can find others where you can post as you wish.
Calling it a "dictatorship" is absurd.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Twitter is a private enterprise that supports a venue with
rules. Users know they can be booted for violations.
RF has rules too. Do you want totally unrestricted
speech here? If you don't like a platform with rules,
you can find others where you can post as you wish.
Calling it a "dictatorship" is absurd.
The rules of politeness, respectfulness, kindness is something I agree on. :)
The Twitter dictatorship was not "rules."
Those were acts of sly censorship of conservative, anti-mainstream media and people.

You can come to Italy and say whatever you like, sir.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The rules of politeness, respectfulness, kindness is something I agree on. :)
The Twitter dictatorship was not "rules."
Those were acts of sly censorship of conservative, anti-mainstream media and people.

You can come to Italy and say whatever you like, sir.
So in Italy, you could solicit under age kids for sex?
You could advise people to drink bleach?
Of course, the above should be said politely, eh.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So in Italy, you could solicit under age kids for sex?
You could advise people to drink bleach?
Of course, the above should be said politely, eh.
We are speaking of political ideals, of course. You can express your political ideas.
Representative Greene has never spoken of anything else but politics.
So...