• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fossil fuel companies sue governments across the world for £13bn as climate policies threaten profit

danieldemol

Premium Member
'Fossil fuel companies are suing governments across the world for more than $18bn (£13bn) after action against climate change has threatened their profits, according to research conducted by campaign group Global Justice Now...

...Five energy companies, including British companies Rockhopper and Ascent, are using a legal process that allows commercial entities to sue governments under international laws governing trade agreements and treaties.'

Source: Fossil fuel firms sue governments across the world for £13bn as climate policies threaten profits

So I guess the question is, should we be compensating energy companies for lost investments, or should we be paying for the retraining of their workers, but telling investors to go jump in a lake, or should we be telling everyone in the energy sector to go jump in a lake?

In my opinion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Threatening profits I don't care about, but if there is anything to sue over, its direct control over a company's means of production by any government entity.

The best venue is simply make a better mousetrap.

Make something environmentally friendly that meets or supercedes the efficiency, durability, and reliability of fossil fuel and you have a winner.

Regiomontanus

Retired astronomer, Russian Orthodox
'Fossil fuel companies are suing governments across the world for more than $18bn (£13bn) after action against climate change has threatened their profits, according to research conducted by campaign group Global Justice Now...

...Five energy companies, including British companies Rockhopper and Ascent, are using a legal process that allows commercial entities to sue governments under international laws governing trade agreements and treaties.'

Source: Fossil fuel firms sue governments across the world for £13bn as climate policies threaten profits

So I guess the question is, should we be compensating energy companies for lost investments, or should we be paying for the retraining of their workers, but telling investors to go jump in a lake, or should we be telling everyone in the energy sector to go jump in a lake?

In my opinion.

My solution: revoke their corporate charters.

amorphous_constellation

Make something environmentally friendly that meets or supercedes the efficiency, durability, and reliability of fossil fuel and you have a winner.

To do what? Why support the perpetual need to maintain the traffic jam rat-race? Design towns where everyone walks, and then a train comes in at noon to distribute supplies. We aren't treating the resource like it should be treated, not everyone needs to do all this driving everywhere

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Is it any wonder why Steven Hawking was so pessimistic about Earth's future that he said we need to prepare to make colonies elsewhere in the solar system? He said our "selfish gene" and a "live for today and not tomorrow" is likely to doom us.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Twilight Hue

To do what? Why support the perpetual need to maintain the traffic jam rat-race? Design towns where everyone walks, and then a train comes in at noon to distribute supplies. We aren't treating the resource like it should be treated, not everyone needs to do all this driving everywhere
Some cities tried that actually. Abymisal failures. Most didn't want to deal with walking and the like and dependant on a train that might be late due to mechanical failure, poor maintenance, and things like that.

It's really not a bad concept, but I think most will stick with the conveniences the modern world offers.

Twilight Hue

Is it any wonder why Steven Hawking was so pessimistic about Earth's future that he said we need to prepare to make colonies elsewhere in the solar system? He said our "selfish gene" and a "live for today and not tomorrow" is likely to doom us.
I think those qualities are evolutionary, hardwired into the human race collectively.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

In my opinion.
The buggy whip manufacturers and other related businesses should have thought of this over a hundred years ago.

Twilight Hue

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What, he wanted to spread our **** further afield? No wonder aliens steer clear of us. ;)

amorphous_constellation

Some cities tried that actually. Abymisal failures. Most didn't want to deal with walking and the like and dependant on a train that might be late due to mechanical failure, poor maintenance, and things like that.

It's really not a bad concept, but I think most will stick with the conveniences the modern world offers.

What are you talking about. Everyone knows urban planning and road design is a disaster. In suburbs for example, you have to drive 20 miles just to get groceries, there are no sidewalks. And people complain about health too, well how about we design it so they get outside into a smog free environment, with supplies and social facilities in the middle of the housing area

Twilight Hue

What are you talking about. Everyone knows urban planning and road design is a disaster. In suburbs for example, you have to drive 20 miles just to get groceries, there are no sidewalks. And people complain about health too, well how about we design it so they get outside into a smog free environment, with supplies and social facilities in the middle of the housing area

Some have tested the idea such as Slow Streets admid the pandemic.

I think infrastructure should include bike paths along all major and even minor roadways either in form of a designated trail or just a wider shoulder.

Some are already in my area and it's not perfect, but better than before.

One thing is clear enough. People collectively will not give up their cars.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Some have tested the idea such as Slow Streets admid the pandemic.

I think infrastructure should include bike paths along all major and even minor roadways either in form of a designated trail or just a wider shoulder.

Some are already in my area and it's not perfect, but better than before.

One thing is clear enough. People collectively will not give up their cars.

And they won't until a better mode of transportation is available. Clearly the US mass transit system is insufficient. We do not have a European population distribution here so mass transit may never be the answer. One possibility for a fix would be self driving cars. Cars are not exactly cheap to own. Between gas, maintenance, taxes, and cost of the vehicle a car can easily run five hundred bucks a month or more. That is $6,000 a year. If a self driving Uber was available on a few minutes notice people might be willing to give up one's cars. And of course those vehicles would need significant video surveillance of the interiors since some people simply cannot behave with a product that is not theirs. Think of the freedom that such a system would have. It would free up space in your home. It could save you money. If one was a person that liked to drink there would be no problem with DUI's.

Right now it is said that the technology exists and self driving cars are safer. Chandler Arizona has a company that is running driverless cars right now It works there.