• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fossil fuel companies sue governments across the world for £13bn as climate policies threaten profit

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Some cities tried that actually. Abymisal failures. Most didn't want to deal with walking and the like and dependant on a train that might be late due to mechanical failure, poor maintenance, and things like that.

It's really not a bad concept, but I think most will stick with the conveniences the modern world offers.
You mean like, New York City? :rolleyes:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No, I didn't notice, but is there any difference? Doesn't that mean that a foreign agent is lobbying Congress?
Climate change is very much a big deal in Europe and there's substantial support there to fight it, thus it doesn't surprise me one iota that they are more on board with this. .

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think those qualities are evolutionary, hardwired into the human race collectively.
But intelligent people with morals know when and how to fight. If we all went by just our impulses, this world would be a far more dangerous one than it already is.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But intelligent people with morals know when and how to fight. If we all went by just our impulses, this world would be a far more dangerous one than it already is.
I agree. Less knee jerks and more use of one's grey cells would be without a doubt, a welcome change.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You mean like, New York City? :rolleyes:
New York City is an exception when it comes to commuting. The population density is so high there that individual cars just do not work. But when one has to commute 20 miles or more a car becomes indispensable. Light rail is a nice idea, but it is very limited into where it can go. Buses are not too bad, but the endless stops needed for them make them less than practical. In very high density areas not only does mass transit work. It is right now the only solution. But most people in America do not want to live that way.

Twilight Hue

New York City is an exception when it comes to commuting. The population density is so high there that individual cars just do not work. But when one has to commute 20 miles or more a car becomes indispensable. Light rail is a nice idea, but it is very limited into where it can go. Buses are not too bad, but the endless stops needed for them make them less than practical. In very high density areas not only does mass transit work. It is right now the only solution. But most people in America do not want to live that way.
It's not without its issues. Toronto is a good example with the GO transit system. It's riddled with recurring problems spanning equipment maintenance all the way to the reliability of arrivals and departure.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's not without its issues. Toronto is a good example with the GO transit system. It's riddled with recurring problems spanning equipment maintenance all the way to the reliability of arrivals and departure.
In some cases it can work, but that does not mean that it will work. It appears less likely to work when competing with individual drivers. I know nothing of Toronto so I will not comment on that. Where I live people vote for mass transit, but it is poorly implemented. They are building some light rail but they appear to be terribly expensive for the carrying capacity. The various state transportation agencies are against it, but more lanes appears to be the best solution for this area. Right now we are doing a half assed approach to fixing our transit problems. Hear that seems to doom both ideas to failure.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Carbon filed vechicles will soon be illegal in Europe an the UK.
Oil producers will take a big hit... The same is true for house heating as in a few years no houses can be built with combustion heating, or for cooking. There will be no new oil or gas heating available at all.

Twilight Hue

Carbon filed vechicles will soon be illegal in Europe an the UK.
Oil producers will take a big hit... The same is true for house heating as in a few years no houses can be built with combustion heating, or for cooking. There will be no new oil or gas heating available at all.
I'd be interested in seeing how that will go over.

Particularly when the winter hits.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'd be interested in seeing how that will go over.

Particularly when the winter hits.

If they have a reliable electrical grid why would it be a problem? You might be confused. Existing homes that burn fuel will be able to continue to do so. New ones will not be allowed to use oil, gas, or coal.

Twilight Hue

If they have a reliable electrical grid why would it be a problem? You might be confused. Existing homes that burn fuel will be able to continue to do so. New ones will not be allowed to use oil, gas, or coal.
I see blackouts and brownouts.

It's the grid itself that's the problem. Basics of electrical engineering.

Of course if the grid is self contained into mini grid systems independent and self sufficient, and not a centralized grid, it might be viable, more efficient, and more effective without the problems associated with mega grid networks.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I see blackouts and brownouts.

It's the grid itself that's the problem. Basics of electrical engineering.

Of course if the grid is self contained into mini grid systems independent and self sufficient, and not a centralized grid, it might be viable, more efficient, and more effective without the problems associated with mega grid networks.
Our grid is in rather sad shape. I know nothing of the state of the grid in Britain. That is why I used a qualifier. Tell me why would you assume that their grid was as bad as ours is?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In recent years, I haven't seen brownouts, and thank God for that as they can really screw up some of your electrical equipment, such as AC and refrigerators.
I live in a very reliable area too. One Thanksgiving there was a storm that caused a major blackout in the state with some areas going without power for close to a week. I had to endure extreme hardships too. I had to reset all of the electrical clocks in the house. That was the stove, the microwave, and my bedroom alarm clock. It was exhausting!

Twilight Hue

Our grid is in rather sad shape. I know nothing of the state of the grid in Britain. That is why I used a qualifier. Tell me why would you assume that their grid was as bad as ours is?
From my understanding it's the strain on the grid over distance. If that was revamped into smaller independent grids, things like blackouts and brownouts due to the load will most likely become non existant as distance is reduced.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

Nor will they be able to get new units when their existing ones fail.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

Our grid is country wide And is also linked to Europe.

One of the cables to France was damaged by fire last week and will be out of action for up to three weeks. There has been a jump in the wholesale price of power, but otherwise no problems.
It is very rare to get power cuts in the UK except local short term ones when power lines are damaged. On most occasions power can be directed from elsewhere.

The Grid is constantly maintained and upgraded. However only in Northern Ireland is the network owned by the state. Most of the networks forming the grid are owned by foreign companies. With the USA and China being the largest owners. However over all control and regulation is provided by OGEM The national Transmission grid is owned by British companies. It seems to me all rather complex, but it works.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Our grid is country wide And is also linked to Europe.

One of the cables to France was damaged by fire last week and will be out of action for up to three weeks. There has been a jump in the wholesale price of power, but otherwise no problems.
It is very rare to get power cuts in the UK except local short term ones when power lines are damaged. On most occasions power can be directed from elsewhere.

The Grid is constantly maintained and upgraded. However only in Northern Ireland is the network owned by the state. Most of the networks forming the grid are owned by foreign companies. With the USA and China being the largest owners. However over all control and regulation is provided by OGEM The national Transmission grid is owned by British companies. It seems to me all rather complex, but it works.
So we own the net

R.c2c19e7c94777a98da97b475d6537254