• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forces of unity versus forces of divisiveness

atanu

Premium Member
The all-pervading commonality amongst all beings and objects is not evident to mind-senses. We operate in the world as individuals separate from the world inhabited by other beings and objects and thus we find ourselves opposed to our surroundings. But all world religions essentially point to us the non-duality of existence. The following is a sample of this teaching.

“To see the all-pervading Truth in and through the disturbing trellis of the phenomenal world is to realize the Truth in the outer world of Plurality. How this is harmoniously done is the very theme of the entire Ishavasya Upanishad.” –
Swami Chinmayananda

Atheists and secular rationalists blame religions for most violence in the world. True. Throughout history, leaders have consolidated their herd, exploiting emotive ‘us versus them’ issues, and religious affiliation of individual forms the basis of the definition of 'me' and ‘us’ in a very significant way. Some leaders and their ideologies attain extreme popularity because they touch the place where ‘hatred of the other’ resides in the majority of the population. But is this the fault of the religions?

A true leader, in my opinion, teaches the truth of unity beneath the apparent diversity, as is taught in scriptures of all major religions.

Isha Upanishad 6
He who sees all beings and forms,
in the Self, he alone really sees;
he also sees the Self in all beings and forms,
thereafter, he feels no hatred towards anyone.

Our world seems so much friction-filled, leading often to violence based on differences in religious affiliations. Are the primitive clan mentality and subsequent hatred and violence a natural outcome of religious teachings or does the divisiveness stem from power consolidation tactics employed by unethical political leaders exploiting natural ego differences and hatred resident in common people?

Scriptures abound in messages of a single source for all diversity that we encounter in the sensual-experiential world. I reproduce below two selected verses.

Holy Quran 2.213.
Mankind were one community, and Allah sent (unto them) Prophets as bearers of good tidings and as warners, and revealed therewith the Scripture with the truth that it might judge between mankind concerning that wherein they differed. And only those unto whom (the Scripture) was given differed concerning it, after clear proofs had come unto them, through hatred one of another. And Allah by His will guided those who believe unto the truth of that concerning which they differed. Allah guideth whom He will unto a straight path.

Mathew 5.43-48
You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Contrast above unitive teachings of Isha Upanishad, Holy Quran, and The Bible, with divisive hate-mongering of the self-appointed religious and/or political leaders.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The forces of divisiveness appear to be getting stronger but to me it's just on the surface. The forces of unity are to me alive and bringing in the "golden age" long foretold by many religions - the same in essence while wildly different in exposition.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But is the fault of the religions?
Yes. If some religions call people who do not agree to their view as 'heathens' or 'kafirs', and wish for them an eternity of suffering in the world as well as in hell, then those religions are not promoting peace. Such religions are enemies of peace.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Contrast above unitive teachings of Isha Upanishad, Holy Quran, and The Bible, with divisive hate-mongering of the self-appointed religious and/or political leaders.

I support the spirit of the OP.

I'm not familiar with Isha, but I know that the Bible and the Quran present as many hateful messages as they do unifying messages. How about we embrace unity, and abandon any scripture that includes any hateful messages?

atanu

Premium Member
The forces of divisiveness appear to be getting stronger but to me it's just on the surface. The forces of unity are to me alive and bringing in the "golden age" long foretold by many religions - the same in essence while wildly different in exposition.

That is exactly right. I just now came across a John Steinbeck quote which I reproduce below.

All the goodness and the heroisms will rise up again, then be cut down and again rise up. It isn't that the evil thing wins -- but that it doesn't die.

John Steinbeck

This seems just like the eternal struggle of Indra, the leader of goodness with the demon Vrittra -- representing the tendency of natural vices in us. But the Rig Veda and the Upanishads go a step further. Beneath the surface clash of the waves lies the Peace itself -- which is called 'advaitam shiva atman' -- the non-dual auspicious peace, the Self.

I support the spirit of the OP.

I'm not familiar with Isha, but I know that the Bible and the Quran present as many hateful messages as they do unifying messages. How about we embrace unity, and abandon any scripture that includes any hateful messages?

I cherish your support to the OP and I support your post too.

Yet, I wish to point out that the implications of the three verses that I quoted in the OP are glossed over by most of us.

The Bible verse says "God has no preferences" and directs "Ye be perfect as God is". So, attaining that perfection is possible and is the goal. The Quran clearly chastises those readers who after reading the Quran still believe in real differences from man to man (on account of the hatred in their heart). The Isha declares the truth to be 'one without a second Self' which is your own self too. For a knower of Isha Upanishad, there is no second person to hate.

In my opinion, a true knower of these scriptures will realise the universe as one without a second and not as a conglomeration of discrete beings and objects. We can but try to read deeply at least.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I know a verse that probably isn't too popular among conservative Christians.

1 CORINTHIANS 13:2 KJV "And though I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though..."

They are called to be charitable. And they are called to love their enemies.

But none of what they do bears any evidence of this.

I think it's good to be charitable where one can afford to.

Loving your enemies may be the hardest thing to do. Certainly in principle you can be civil toward them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes. If some religions call people who do not agree to their view as 'heathens' or 'kafirs', and wish for them an eternity of suffering in the world as well as in hell, then those religions are not promoting peace. Such religions are enemies of peace.

I talked with one person on another site that people who disagree with christ are subject to the wrath of god

atanu

Premium Member
I talked with one person on another site that people who disagree with christ are subject to the wrath of god

I can show you videos of a so-called saint -- Yogi Adityanath (current CM of Uttar Pradesh of India), pouring out venom against Muslims. But that is the point. These are political leaders with ill intentions (or some are plain driven by emotions).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, Atanu. You fail to understand Yogi Adityanath. How come Muslim shop-keepers have been operating in his respected monastery (Gorakshanath Math) for ages without any complaint? He has an unruly state of 220 million people to take care of (if it was a country, it would have been the fifth largest in the world). What else he will say to trouble-makers?

atanu

Premium Member
So, isn't it paradoxical that although teaching surrendering one's ego to the Deity or merging it unto Brahman, religions apparently help strengthen the individual and group identities, leading to so much dog fight? It is amusing too that forgetting our common human-ness we don our identity-group labels and engage in vicious and earnest turf wars. As per religions, we are souls of the 'One without a second' spirit. As per Hinduism, today I am a Hindu. But who knows what I was in my previous incarnation and what I will be next?