• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Forced Genital Cutting," and Jewish circumcision

Me Myself

Back to my username
Though if such form of masturbation is important for someone, it is very well possible to progresively stretch your skin until you have a sort of foreskin back.

I understand it is not the same, but you could masturbate yourself with that were it that important :p

Curious George

Veteran Member
Very rarely. I find my glans too sensitive, with luve it would be far too sensitive even.

(I admit I wasnt sure what glans meant till I googled it, in spanish its generally just refered as "the head" :D)

Cabeza? not Glande or at least bellota (acorn).

Head is English slang for glans. I would assume that is the same in Spanish as well.

mycorrhiza

You are right. Not only is it an easily curable infection, it is also one which the body regularly cures on it's own. In rare cases an infection's can be really bad, but largely- UTI's will come and go. People just need to drink more cranberry juice.

Is it worth it, though? That is a decision concerning the medical well-being of another person's child. Thus, unless we alter our conception of child rearing, it is the parent of that child's decision. I personally do not feel that it is "worth" it, but at the same time I do not feel that the harm is "worth" stepping on free exercise of religion nor parental rights.

I feel that it should be up to the person who gets circumcised whether or not he wants to. If a procedure isn't done to cure an issue or prevent serious harm then it shouldn't be done without consent. With a proper health care system, the circumcision at an age where they can consent could even be payed for by taxes.

The medical reasons for circumcision are insignificant, and I don't feel that they justify the procedure.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Though if such form of masturbation is important for someone, it is very well possible to progresively stretch your skin until you have a sort of foreskin back.

I understand it is not the same, but you could masturbate yourself with that were it that important :p

I think there is medical reconstruction as well.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Cabeza? not Glande or at least bellota (acorn).

Head is English slang for glans. I would assume that is the same in Spanish as well.

Yea cabeza. Yeah I probably didnt recognize glande, which .i have rarely heard but I should have.

I am too sleepy right now and soon to sleep :D

mycorrhiza

I think there is medical reconstruction as well.

There is, and if the medical reconstruction was easy, quick and payed for by taxes, then I would have nothing against circumcision, because then it wouldn't be permanent.

Currently, the procedure is none of those things as far as I know.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I feel that it should be up to the person who gets circumcised whether or not he wants to. If a procedure isn't done to cure an issue or prevent serious harm then it shouldn't be done without consent. With a proper health care system, the circumcision at an age where they can consent could even be payed for by taxes.
Then why should we allow someone to get a chicken pox vaccine?

The medical reasons for circumcision are insignificant, and I don't feel that they justify the procedure.

But so too is the harm. When you flush out the details- it is a risk neutral decision.

mycorrhiza

1-to kids

2- why on ear wouldnt you give them the vaccine anyways? :areyoucra

Then again, your child, your choice.

I googled it, and in Sweden, the vaccine is only given to people who risk being damaged more badly by it (bad immune system and such). I had never heard of a vaccine for it. Is it really part of the routine vaccinations in the US? :confused:

Curious George

Veteran Member
I googled it, and in Sweden, the vaccine is only given to people who risk being damaged more badly by it (bad immune system and such). I had never heard of a vaccine for it. Is it really part of the routine vaccinations in the US? :confused:

No, it is not part of the routine vaccinations. But you can get one. There is a plethora of vaccinations one can get that one does not need. But theoretically if you do not need them you should not be able to get them. That is your argument?

mycorrhiza

No, it is not part of the routine vaccinations. But you can get one. There is a plethora of vaccinations one can get that one does not need. But theoretically if you do not need them you should not be able to get them. That is your argument?

Well, herd immunity is good for many diseases, but when it comes to something as harmless as chicken pox I don't see why it should be forced on kids. It's not common to vaccinate against it here.

Immunity is not really the same as permanently removing a part of the body, though.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Well, herd immunity is good for many diseases, but when it comes to something as harmless as chicken pox I don't see why it should be forced on kids. It's not common to vaccinate against it here.

Immunity is not really the same as permanently removing a part of the body, though.

Nothing is the same to anything else.

Again, its the least thing you ll hear circumsized men complain about when talking about what their parents did or did not do that they should have or have not done.

Its just truly unimportant to almost anyone. Unlike almost all other parental choices :D

You ll find way more complaints to parental nutritional lessons than circumsicion, because those actually change the life of masses. Circumsicion just doesnt.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There's a vaccine for chicken pox? :areyoucra Isn't chicken pox basically harmless to kids

That is generally true, for the child

However people who have had Chicken pox as children often get Shingles as adults (same virus that lays dormant in nerves)
This can have very serious complications.
Another attack of shingles
Bacterial skin infections
Blindness (if shingles occurs in the eye)
Deafness
Infection, including encephalitis or sepsis (blood infection) in persons with a weakened immune system
Ramsay Hunt syndrome if shingles affects the nerves in the face

so Vaccinations is not such a bad idea.

I got shingles three years ago.

Aquitaine

Nothing is the same to anything else.

Again, its the least thing you ll hear circumsized men complain about when talking about what their parents did or did not do that they should have or have not done.

Its just truly unimportant to almost anyone. Unlike almost all other parental choices :D

You ll find way more complaints to parental nutritional lessons than circumsicion, because those actually change the life of masses. Circumsicion just doesnt.

I dunno. I mean don't you think it's a little dangerous to just assume that it's "truly unimportant" to "almost anyone" like that?

So in relation to negative feedback from Men who were circumcized against their will at infancy, how much is considered enough? As in, how man men complaining about it would be enough?

10% of the Circumcised Male population? 20%? 35% 50% 75%? :shrug:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
So, should it be OK to give a small kid 1" earlobe stretches and full-sleeve tattoos without their consent?
(basically turning them into tiny metalcore fans :p)

It it was commonly employed in the culture, then yes. Better yet, if without these markings the kid would be ostracized or otherwise denied full enjoyment of life in that culture, then that's a compelling reason actually to do it.

If it were done in our culture, no. Why? Because the emotional toll of being so marked in a culture where such markings are considered abnormal would constitute harm.

Aquitaine

I dont even remember the age someone told me I have had a part of my skin cut there. Given that I dont remember the age but I continue with indiference, I do know I never cared and I would have never figured it out on my own.

Right, because you literally have no way of knowing any better.

You literally don't know and will never be able to know any better in relation to what it's like having a foreskin. I on the other hand, if I wanted to *could* find out what it's like to be circumcised.

Aquitaine

FGM and footbindings without question cause harm. I have not seen the claims of the beneficial aspects of these except for social claims. i.e. a girl with bound feet will increase her chance at a better marriage. And a girl who gets very limited sexual pleasure and is sewn up, will more likely remain virginal before marriage which increases social value in some cultures. Given the harms, I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who could argue that the harms do not substantially outweigh the benefits.

Oh believe me, there are people even on RF who have supported Child Marriage for those very reasons.

We can distinguish all of these by noting the medical benefits that male circumcision does provide.
But that's one of the fundamental issues of this whole debate: whether circumcision actually has any benefits which outweigh the costs. So far, it appears to be a debate between the American AAP/CDC, and the Canadian CPS/British NHS.

This is an example where we as a society have because of the high possibility of harm and abuse have stepped in. If for instance you found a culture where the girls were married at 10 to 50 year olds but such a relationship was never sexual, and the marriage provided immense security then your only argument would be the deprivation of sexual actualization. Now if we also introduced the possibility of divorce or for her to own her sexual identity outside of her non-sexual marriage, I think that we would be harder pressed to view such a relationship abjectly.

Depends...... depends on what the "marriage" actually entails. But I'd view something like that as something which arised out of poverty/war/suffering etc, and so rather than continuing to feed the practice, it would most-likely be better to try and "uplift" the situation and gradually outlaw the cultural norm in question.