• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who doubt the Ouija Board...

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
i think they are real, and they work in the same way other forms of divination work

if the person using them is a medium for the spirit world, then the devices being used will work. But they dont work for any tom dick or harry who picks them up and tries to use them.

Pegg sorry you don't see the psychological effect it has. I specifically noted the Ideomotor effect

Which of course people conviniently overlooked. With the social hysteria and stigma on Ouija boards the effect would be prominent. Hearing squeaky noises in the house etc would increase the likelihood of this phenomenon. The fact that it doesn't work for "tom, dick, and harry" is not enough reason to say it works. Like I said, if this instrument really opened doors why the heck do they sell it locally? Seriously. If this thing can call demons or malevolent spirits why doesn't the creators put a disclaimer on the dang thing? Because there isn't enough evidence to support that it really works!

Sententia

i think they are real, and they work in the same way other forms of divination work

if the person using them is a medium for the spirit world, then the devices being used will work. But they dont work for any tom dick or harry who picks them up and tries to use them.

You realize this implies...

• You believe in a spirit world...
  • You think there are mediums who can communicate with said spirit world.
  • You feel there are people who really can make mass produced toys for profit work to talk to spiritual worlds....

Is funny to me as a former witness on a few levels...

Dead people just die.... Until they are raised... they dont go to some spirit world to talk to us... they just die... wow... mind blast... pretty much what I think now as an atheist... gasp...

So really we boil down to you think demons are real but only mess with us or take special time to text us through ouija boards.... and I realize that sounds silly only because of the way I said it and as a witness demons are no laughing matter....

But as an atheist the effect imaginary things have by emotionally manipulating certain conditioned people is - to this day - my first wonder of the world... Its just a compelling and interesting topic to me.

And I was manipulated in a similar fashion as young child which I now, via hindsight, consider to have been both abusive and fraudulent.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Out of interest and because I'm somewhat on the fence about divination, what specifics did you ask and what method did you use to ask them?

(If it's something personal that you don't want to share it's not a problem :))
Asked if my current work (at the time) would my career choice and flourish. At the time I was living with someone, I asked if our relationship would be everlasting as it was at the time. Asked about a sick relative and if and when she may pass.
Totally wrong on my career. Totally wrong on my relationship. And stated that my relative would succumb to illness within 2 years. That relative is still alive today (HIV).

Panda

42?
Premium Member
The ouiija board was invented as a toy, and is owned by the toy company Parker Brothers. The whole point of it was to be a but of a subconscious thing. It is not some mystical thing, it is a game.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Yes panda but as I informed pegg its nothing but a game and made to be a mystical thing by so-called mystics

Erebus

Asked if my current work (at the time) would my career choice and flourish. At the time I was living with someone, I asked if our relationship would be everlasting as it was at the time. Asked about a sick relative and if and when she may pass.
Totally wrong on my career. Totally wrong on my relationship. And stated that my relative would succumb to illness within 2 years. That relative is still alive today (HIV).

Was it a ouija board you used?

Sorry to pry, I just like hearing people's experience with these things :)

I've never found a ouija board to work personally.

Yofar

A Ouija board is a board with a bunch of letters, numbers and the words "yes and no" printed across it. There is a pointing device that lays on top of the board. The idea is that two or more individuals all touch the pointing device and ask a question. Supposedly a "spirit" or being is channeled through the board and moves the pointing device around to answer the questions of the players.

But to answer the original posters question:

Although I do not believe that a Ouija board or any of the other forms of divination are real, I do not think they are something to joke about either. In my opinion if people can find peaceful answers to their questions through other means such as Tarrot cards etc then why not go for it. From my experiences, most Tarrot Card or fortune teller type people ultimately send positive messages weather I believe they can perform these acts or not.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I've tried a Ouija Board. Big nada on the result, unless "gweg wi" means anthing (maybe I got in touch with a mentally-handicapped person named Gregory or something).

Tarot cards have been a mixed result. I have noticed "brighter" readings by one of my friends, though our readings have been equally accurate.

Palm readings are crap.

Runes I have yet to try. Will test later.

Pendulum has been fairly interesting. I seemed to get in contact with the genius locus of my house, who (aside from issues regarding me asking its gender, for obvious reasons) informed me the stairs were a dangerous place to be (as I was contacting it on the stairs).

Astrology is also crap.

I Ching is also pretty fun, though I never paid attention to the accuracy of the results.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Pendulum has been fairly interesting. I seemed to get in contact with the genius locus of my house, who (aside from issues regarding me asking its gender, for obvious reasons) informed me the stairs were a dangerous place to be (as I was contacting it on the stairs).
Heh. You got scolded. :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Most don't actually worship a holy book. They use it for guidance. That is a huge difference. And just because you don't accept the idea, doesn't make it delusional. To state such only shows intolerance. It is a poor way in which to dismiss a belief system, and really has no place in an intelligent conversation, or mature discussion.

Basically, my point in responding to you is that some tolerance, understanding, is needed. Just insulting other ideas, without actually addressing them in a logical manner is ridiculous. It does nothing constructive and results in only creating problems.

Aww, don't say that, you'll ruin the poorly understood, narrow-minded but broadly applied insult!

InChrist

Free4ever
I had a friend years ago that I used to work with when we were in our late teens-early twenties. She and her best friend (I’ll call Meg) used to spend hours using the Quija board. It started out as a game, but didn’t end up that way. Meg literally became possessed by someone or something with a change in facial expressions, speaking in a deep male voice, and claiming to be a prisoner from the late 1800’s. At first, this occurred only when using the board and then it started happening anytime and Meg could not control or stop it.

At the time I had no clue what was taking place, but as one who now trusts the Bible as God's word I do not doubt it was demonic possession. There is good reason why God warns against divination.

I did the Ouija board when I was probably 10 or so. Me and another kid were using it and the things it was saying was not from me and my little friend, I guarantee you that! A friend of mine was telling me that she did the Ouija board when she was in grade school with a little friend and it said "you will get *** (used the full four letter word) in the broom closet. They had to go ask their teacher what f**ked was, and what a broom closet was. Another friend told me he made one while in the army and was using it with some friends. They all left the room, and when he came back in by himself the planchette was moving around the table by itself! He took it out and burnt it.

I had a friend years ago that I used to work with when we were in our late teens-early twenties. She and her best friend (I’ll call Meg) used to spend hours using the Quija board. It started out as a game, but didn’t end up that way. Meg literally became possessed by someone or something with a change in facial expressions, speaking in a deep male voice, and claiming to be a prisoner from the late 1800’s. At first, this occurred only when using the board and then it started happening anytime and Meg could not control or stop it.

At the time I had no clue what was taking place, but as one who now trusts the Bible as God's word I do not doubt it was demonic possession. There is good reason why God warns against divination.

I've seen the possessed, I know of what you're talking about. Some of the signs of possession I've seen have been talking in different voices, different languages and dialects, and being choked and passing out. I'm a Christian now, too, but the girl I knew who was possessed was into the Occult, witchcraft, other religions and the like. Anything but Jesus. All this happened right before I met the Lord.

The ouiija board was invented as a toy, and is owned by the toy company Parker Brothers. The whole point of it was to be a but of a subconscious thing. It is not some mystical thing, it is a game.

It wasn't invented as a toy. It was like the other "table writing" devices, used for divination purposes, at the end of the 19th century but just gained the most popularity. Most people that took part in it believed or somewhat believed in the occult, and the chance they would reach "spirits" with information for them.