• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the dismally ignorant

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
In Revoltistan, we use a version that includes "Domain".
Definitely Keep Penis Covered On Festivus Gala Socials

Back when I was growing up we didn't have fancy "domains" in biology, and I had to walk uphill to school - both ways.

That said, this is useful, it's easy to say: Definitely keep poor cows...

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yes but. Oh never mind. All the science teachers in the world are wrong then.
Coincidentally I was in a science class last month when this topic was uncontroversially explained. You'd have been dragging your child out of the lesson presumably.
This has no supportive argument and where did you get that I said all teachers are wrong.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
This has no supportive argument and where did you get that I said all teachers are wrong.
You are opposed to the idea that humans are apes; this is what teachers teach. Your religious belief blinds you to the truth of what humans are. You have no argument except your book.

Kenny

Premium Member
You are opposed to the idea that humans are apes; this is what teachers teach. Your religious belief blinds you to the truth of what humans are. You have no argument except your book.
I disagree with your position.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Perhaps some people should consider taking a high school science qualification. Here's one basic topic heading:

18501A83-5E04-4EC8-AA90-764D250E4FA0.jpeg

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
So says humans. But they are more than just mammals imv
A horse is more than just a mammal. A rat is more than just a mammal. Each species of mammal has traits that extend it beyond those basal mammalian traits that define us a class of organisms.

Those relationships are not some arbitrary, ad hoc grouping to satisfy the needs of a study. A classification is intended to express the shared characters, genetics and relationship of a group of organisms.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Consensus at one time said slavery was right and that the earth was flat. So?
Are you saying that you also believe that slavery is right and that the earth is flat?
Or do you agree that we have learned something since then?
If the later, then why don't you accept that we have learned something about our place in the classification of life?

Kenny

Premium Member
A horse is more than just a mammal. A rat is more than just a mammal. Each species of mammal has traits that extend it beyond those basal mammalian traits that define us a class of organisms.

Those relationships are not some arbitrary, ad hoc grouping to satisfy the needs of a study. A classification is intended to express the shared characters, genetics and relationship of a group of organisms.
It is, indeed, an attempt to express shared characteristics et al... for what purpose?

Kenny

Premium Member
Are you saying that you also believe that slavery is right and that the earth is flat?
Or do you agree that we have learned something since then?

We definitely have learned something...

As I believe I have learned that man is more than just a mammal.

Heyo

Veteran Member
We definitely have learned something...

As I believe I have learned that man is more than just a mammal.
Well, your education seems partly been stuck in the early 18th century. Human exceptionalism is the old idea which the rest of us have overcome. Get a new textbook, one that has been published after 1750.

Kenny

Premium Member
Well, your education seems partly been stuck in the early 18th century. Human exceptionalism is the old idea which the rest of us have overcome. Get a new textbook, one that has been published after 1750.
That is a perspective. I find your position quite archaic and addressed thousands of years ago.