• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Muslims: about sins

gnostic

The Lost One
This is question for Muslims, but anything can participate, I suppose.

What is the worse sin a person could possibly commit?

Is there (just) a single sin that would or could earn you an instant ticket to hell?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah

Is there (just) a single sin that would or could earn you an instant ticket to hell?

The major sin a person can commit is taking partners with God, i.e. believing there are other gods beside God the one and only God.

gnostic

The Lost One
Would one who don't believe in any god at all, fit in this same category of having more than one god?

gnostic

The Lost One
So whether you are polytheistic pagan or atheist, then that means instant hell? Or does it depends on one's action than belief?

Belief and action are 2 different things.

Does one sin outweighs all others?

In your book, can a person be "good" without believing in this one god? Or do you think they are they all evil, simply because they believe in many or none?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
So whether you are polytheistic pagan or atheist, then that means instant hell? Or does it depends on one's action than belief?

Allah says in His book, the Quran:

"Verily, Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with Him (in worship), but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He wills; and whoever sets up partners with Allâh in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin" (4:48)

"Verily! Allah forgives not (the sin of) setting up partners (in worship) with Him, but He forgives whom He wills sins other than that, and whoever sets up partners in worship with Allâh, has indeed strayed far away." (4:116)

Belief and action are 2 different things.

In Islam, both belief and action go hand in hand. I act according to my belief.

Does one sin outweighs all others?

Yep. There are degrees in sins. In Islam there are two types of sins: major sins and small sins.

In your book, can a person be "good" without believing in this one god? Or do you think they are they all evil, simply because they believe in many or none?

I don't believe that non-Muslims are evil or bad. There is no such belief in Islam.
Humans differ; there are good people and there are bad or evil people including Muslims.

.lava

Veteran Member

i am not sure which one is the worst but they can not survive from hell in case they killed messengers of God, changed word of God and/or cover the truth about religion of God and therefor led people to hell. but the main one is to send others to hell, since those who earn hell because of them could not take time back. Qur'an says they are cursed by God and also by all people who earn hell. because they prevent people from true path of God.

33:67 And they will say, "Our Lord, indeed we obeyed our masters and our dignitaries, and they led us astray from the
way.​

33:68 Our Lord, give them double the punishment and curse them with a great curse."

master is not good word for it. it is more likely religious leaders.

28:41 And We made them leaders inviting to the Fire, and on the Day of Resurrection they will not be helped.

here as well, if you read the original text, you'd see it does not say leaders, it says Imam. even these poor translations are misleading people.

so the worst thing someone could do is to prevent people from path that leads God because they are earning hell for themselves but they also make others earn as well. there is no salvation for them, ever. for more information you can read...;

International MIHR Foundation International Mihr Foundation

gnostic

The Lost One
peace said:
In Islam, both belief and action go hand in hand. I act according to my belief.

But if a person who don't believe in god, but is a good person regardless of personal belief in god, can do all sort of self-less good deeds. For lack of a better term (I can't think of any), a humanist person can do thing for fellow-men (and women) without the necessarily belief in god. There is a belief there, which I supposed is called humanism.

Am I making any sense here?

The belief is not toward god, supernatural or some sort of authority, but belief in human rights, which may range from simple human compassion, embracing diversity of other culture, gender and racial equality, social justice. I supposed it is belief in each other, rather to an organisations, such as religious, legal or political bodies.

So what I am getting at, the belief doesn't necessarily have to be that of god or religion, but good selfless action can come from within each individual, because of love for other people.

Last edited:

ProudMuslim

Hi Gnostic :)

Based on the Qur'an, there is nothing as "instant ticket to hell" or for that matter "instant ticket to heaven". Like Peace said, there are major sins and minor sins but we also believe that actions are based on intentions and given that we humans can never tell a person's intention or the background/motives behind his/her actions, we therefore cannot tell this person will go to heaven or hell. In fact, judging the whereabouts of someone's afterlife is considered some sort of playing God as the Judge (one of His attributes).

Allah (swt) also said "have mercy upon those on earth so He will have a mercy upon you", so clearly God's mercy is not confined to certain rules.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Allah (swt) also said "have mercy upon those on earth so He will have a mercy upon you", so clearly God's mercy is not confined to certain rules

Welcome back sister :)

I would like just to point out that it it a Hadith:

Those who have mercy will receive the mercy of the Most Merciful. Have mercy on those who are on earth, the One in heavens will have mercy on you." (Tirmidhi ).