• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Jews or Christians: Why Shema means what a Jew says

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
One highway is one highway no matter how many people drive on it. How you can continue to claim that one=plural is beyond comprehension.
One highway is also often represented by more than one different road. But still one highway, no matter which road one is driving on.

sojourner

Does florid mean limpid? Does meaningless mean without meaning? Does insipid mean asinine?

Okay then say something poignant. I will respond in kind.
I can't help it if you can't or won't grasp what's important.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You can't really make a thread like this. The underlying principle is one that the entire Christian faith rests on and they will contort their thinking to any lengths in order to prevent the building from falling down.

Try starting with something less overwhelming.

"Christian" faith rests on the concept that a Jewish Messiah will come to redeem the world. THAT is the principle it rests on. Is that a belief you share, that the Messiah will come?

Tumah

Veteran Member
"Christian" faith rests on the concept that a Jewish Messiah will come to redeem the world. THAT is the principle it rests on. Is that a belief you share, that the Messiah will come?
That's like saying: Christians eat cows, do you?
Yes, we do. But there are some fairly important differences between a kosher cow and a non-kosher cow.
There are some fairly important differences in the Messiah that Jews and Christians believe in.

rosends

In that formulation, I would say that there are problems with the word "redeem". But that formulation also ignores the Christian idea that a particular Jewish Messiah came already, in any sense.

nothead

I can't help it if you can't or won't grasp what's important.

And I can't help seeing you are dragging this too. Stop it. Me too. STOMP. There I set my foot down.

Hey, how about this? Shema is the number one command of Jesus. Mark 12. Who teaches this? Do you even know what it is?

sojourner

And I can't help seeing you are dragging this too. Stop it. Me too. STOMP. There I set my foot down.
Hey, how about this? Shema is the number one command of Jesus. Mark 12. Who teaches this? Do you even know what it is?
Of course I know. :rolleyes:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
That's like saying: Christians eat cows, do you?
Yes, we do. But there are some fairly important differences between a kosher cow and a non-kosher cow.
There are some fairly important differences in the Messiah that Jews and Christians believe in.

How about your top three?