• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

for female buddhists.

Do you feel sad that the Theravada have not ordained any bhikkhuni over the past few centuries? Do you think this will ever change? Have you ever considered following the Mahayana or Vajrayana path instead?
[I am not proselytising for either of the latter, I am just curious as to how Theravadin women feel about this issue.]

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I thought that Sinhalese nuns were able to re-establish their order in Sri Lanka back in the mid-90's. :confused:

There still are varying regions that cling to the more misogynistic traditions that hold to casting ordained women in a lower regard than ordained men, including in the Mahayana traditions and Vajrayana traditions. I understand that the ordination of women is not as widely recognized in certain geographic regions, but that isn't due to the specific school of Buddhism that is established/widely practiced. It's due to remaining anti-feminist cultural mores that need to be discarded.

Where have you received this information regarding the absence of Theravadin bhikkunis?

Peace,
Mystic

Vfr

Do you feel sad that the Theravada have not ordained any bhikkhuni over the past few centuries? Do you think this will ever change? Have you ever considered following the Mahayana or Vajrayana path instead?
[I am not proselytising for either of the latter, I am just curious as to how Theravadin women feel about this issue.]

I've heard a few ideas as to why such is the case. From not wanting to be distracted by supervising women to not wanting to be accused of gender discrimination with the two sets of rules...one for men one for women.

History tells us the Buddha was not in favor of women nuns.

Ananda, so the story goes, was the one that persuaded the Buddha to accept women into the sangha as nuns.

Also the lobbying of the Buddha's step Mom was mentioned as a factor in persuading the Buddha to change his mind to allow an order of nuns to be organized.

But it was only after the much advocacy and lobbying of the Buddha's that this took place at the first council.

Ananda seemed to appreciate the finer qualities of women and so had a vested interest it seems in offering equal or semi equal opportunity to women.

An interesting story about Ananda and his trials and tribulations with women.

"At that time, because Ánanda was receiving alms in sequential order, he passed by a house of prostitution and was waylaid by a powerful artifice. On the strength of Kapila’s mantra, which came from the Brahma Heaven, the daughter of Matangi drew him onto an impure mat. With her licentious body she caressed him until he was on the verge of destroying the precept-substance. The Tathágata, knowing Ananda was being taken advantage of by an impure artifice, finished the meal and immediately returned to the Sublime Abode. The king, great officials, elders, and laypeople followed along after the Buddha desiring to hear the essentials of the Dharma. Then the World Honored One from his crown emitted hundreds of rays of jeweled light, which dispelled all fear. Within the light appeared a thousand-petal jeweled lotus, upon which was seated a transformation-body Buddha in full-lotus posture, proclaiming a spiritual mantra. Shakyamuni Buddha commanded Manjushri to take the mantra and go provide protection, and, when the evil mantra was dispelled, to support Ánanda and Matangi’s daughter and encourage them to return to where the Buddha was."

From: http://www.buddhistinformation.com/shurangama_sutra.htm

Take care,

V (Male)

Agnostic Freethinker
Practical Philosopher
AA#2

zenzero

Its only a Label
IN SPRIT
HERE-NOW
there is nothing as male / female
they are just two sides of the same coin.
the circle will continue
Be one with the SEEN
Love & rgds

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
History tells us the Buddha was not in favor of women nuns.

Ananda, so the story goes, was the one that persuaded the Buddha to accept women into the sangha as nuns.

Also the lobbying of the Buddha's step Mom was mentioned as a factor in persuading the Buddha to change his mind to allow an order of nuns to be organized.

But it was only after the much advocacy and lobbying of the Buddha's that this took place at the first council.
I don't know about the story that you give but the above, I have heard as well. Because he lobbied on behalf of the inclusion of women, Ananda is particularly respected amongst many Buddhist nuns. I've always taken it as his being a little more progressive than the Buddha when it came to gender equality. :cool:

vandervalley

I've always taken it as his being a little more progressive than the Buddha when it came to gender equality. :cool:

There might be reasons why Buddha didn't want a nun sangha to be established. But then again Buddha later accepted that females should be treated the same; which is quite special during Buddha's time

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Its a bit of a shame that bit. Still, you can choose to leave that aside.
I choose to neither leave it aside nor dwell on it. :)
There might be reasons why Buddha didn't want a nun sangha to be established. But then again Buddha later accepted that females should be treated the same; which is quite special during Buddha's time
He did, after a little nudging by Ananda. I do not bring this up in order to condemn the Buddha. To me it shows that he was still a human being after all, even after enlightenment. A very, very, very great human being. :bow: