• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Christians, Wiccans and Anyone In Between

AlsoAnima

Friend
My circle of friends is mostly composed of Christians, Pagans and Agnostics. So from time to time my curiosity is peaked at others practices. Now, I would like to hear every single Wiccan, Christian, and Wiccan Christians views on how they view their 'sister and brothers'. (Of course, what I would like to hear and what I'm going to hear are likely different)

That is to simple say.

Christians, do you view Christian Wiccan's as Christians or Heretics or something else?

Wiccans, do you view Christians Wiccan's as Wiccans or Heretics or something else?

And just so I don't confuse anybody, I realize that both Wicca and Christianity are extremely diverse religions even among their own members.

For the purposes of this I'm looking for the following definition of Heretic:
Someone who follows your religion but perverts(that is, distorts) it's teachings.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I view all of humanity as sons and daughters of the same God and as my brothers and sisters. Even though I am a Christian, I don't use the phrase "brothers and sisters in Christ." That said, I don't view Wiccans as Christians, and unless I'm mistaken, I don't think they want to be viewed as Christians.

AlsoAnima

Friend
You misunderstand. I ask whether you view Christian Wiccans (Followers of both religions, or rather a syncretic religion) as fellow Christians, or if you view them as something else. :yes:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You misunderstand. I ask whether you view Christian Wiccans (Followers of both religions, or rather a syncretic religion) as fellow Christians, or if you view them as something else. :yes:
Ah, sorry. Yeah, I did misunderstand. Well, since I'm always being told that I'm not a "real" Christian, I've kind of made it a policy never to tell anyone who claims to be a Christian and who considers himself to be a Christian that he's not. So, with some reservations, I suppose I'd have to concede that Christian Wiccans are in fact Christians.

My own definition of what I believe a Christian to be generally requires that a person...

1. believe that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of the Living God.
2. believe that Jesus Christ is the only means by which we can be reconciled to our Father in Heaven.
3. desire to live one's life, to the degree possible, according to the example set by Jesus Christ, and a commitment to keep the commandments He gave us.
4. genuinely consider himself to be a Christian.

From the little bit I know about "Christian Wiccans" is that they believe Jesus Christ to be an admirable role model but that's about all. Still, if they want to call themselves Christians, I'm not going to be the one to say, "No you're not."

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Christians, do you view Christian Wiccan's as Christians or Heretics or something else?

I don't have a label for Christian Wiccan's really. I can understand reconciling Christian and Wiccan beliefs, in the sense that one can be a Christian, Trinitarian or otherwise, and practice Wiccan tradition. I couldn't understand where a person is coming from if they reconcile the godhead of the goddess and the God of Abraham to be one in the same.

For the purposes of this I'm looking for the following definition of Heretic:
Someone who follows your religion but perverts(that is, distorts) it's teachings.

I don't think much of the word "heretic" anymore, considering that people interpret religion and deity in so many ways.

Last edited:

Francis

UBER-Christian
Yikes... umm, i guess that one might in the most open sense consider them possibly to be christian, but that's quite the stretch, no offense. I mean, do they follow the Apostle's creed? Or the Nicene? Because if they do, then i suppose they MIGHT, just maybe be considered Christians. But there are so very many differences that it's really a very hard question. I lean towards no. Peace!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I personally consider anyone who follows Jesus and His commands to be a true Christian. That is a very controversial idea, so I do receive a small amount of flack about it.

Francis

UBER-Christian
No, but I'm just saying that... well, it's a difficult concept for me to go along with. There are SO many differences. And, if Christian wiccans practice magick, then it seems to go against sooooooooo much scripture and tradition that it's not even funny. That's where the biggest problem lies.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
No, but I'm just saying that... well, it's a difficult concept for me to go along with. There are SO many differences. And, if Christian wiccans practice magick, then it seems to go against sooooooooo much scripture and tradition that it's not even funny. That's where the biggest problem lies.
I know. I kind of see it that way myself. It really does seem to me to be contrary to scripture, but since I'm always getting told that I'm not a "real" Christian, it would seem awfully hypocritical of me to say that someone else isn't a "real" Christian. I'm really between a rock and a hard place on this one. To me, a "Christian Wiccan" would almost have to be someone who considered Jesus Christ to be a great teacher and as a person who lived a life worth emulating. A lot of non-Christians see Him that way. They call themselves Buddhists, Hindus, etc. I'm curious as to why Christian Wiccans even want to be called Christians and what their definition of a Christian would be.

Last edited:

MarvelousWorksofGod

Everyone knows he's Real
I honestly never even heard of a "Wiccan Christian"
But I would view them as not a christian as all.
I look at it, if you go by the teachings of ONE religion, thats your religion!
But 'wiccan christians' must not be a christian at all b/c Wiccans are very different from Christianity!

AlsoAnima

Friend
I honestly never even heard of a "Wiccan Christian"
But I would view them as not a christian as all.
I look at it, if you go by the teachings of ONE religion, thats your religion!
But 'wiccan christians' must not be a christian at all b/c Wiccans are very different from Christianity!
It's funny, that seems to be disturbingly similair to the catholic arguement during the initial spliting of the Church.
In any case, if you go by the teaching of one religion, that's you religion, you say.
So if you go by the teaching of two...? (please finish this statement from your point of view).

ayani

well, a Christian is a follower of Christ. i wouldn't describe it as a religion, as much as a walk, day by day, in and with God's Son.

Jesus' statements about who He is, where He stands in relation to man and God, and what it takes to follow Him (taking up one's cross, forsaking even family and friends, and turning away from the world) are things He drove home and emphasized often.

to practice another faith, religious system, or spiritual walk next to or with follwing Christ isn't something He paints as an option. either one believes in Him, understands who He is, and gives their hearts to following Him fully and at the expense of anything else, or one doesn't.

one can appreciate the values and virtues of other faiths. one can and should respect and love and hold dear people of all faiths, and no faiths. but Biblically, God's So is unique. He gives the believer everything they need to live for God, love God, serve God fully, and love their neighbor as themselves. His death on the cross sets us free, and our faith in Him makes us new. no one else, and nothing else, can do that for us.

unless one allows Him, the Son of God from Nazareth, to change one's heart and self, all this won't be possble on one's own. regarding genuione Christian discipleship, it's not enough to appreciate Jesus as a person, teacher, good man, or one way among many possible other ways. to recognize Him as personal Lord (of one's life) and Savior (of one's soul and self) is needed. no one can force that faith, but it is that faith whch takes the mystery away from His saying in John 14:6, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no one comes to the Father but through Me.

AlsoAnima

Friend
Interesting. It seems that the default assumption around here is that Wiccan Christians do not believe that Christ was God, this is not necessarily true.

As Wiccan and Christians have varied beliefs, any Wiccan Christian can be expect to aswell. This includes a good number (in so far as I can tell without empirical evidence) that believe in Christ's divinity.

ayani

A.A.

no, i didn't mean to imply that. what is meant, and hopefully what i said, is that following Chist is something one does with all of one's heart, and soul, and might. it's no something one tries to do or attempts to get to. it's not a matter of believing one thing or another about Him intellectually.

what matters is one's personal, life-changing relationship with Him. and following God's Son in the Holy Spirit and practing another spiritual tradition or system alongside that or with that is not feasible.

it's certainly possible to believe that Jesus is divine, do one's best to put His words into action, and agree that He is unique. yet that's not quite the same thing as being a Spirit-filled disciple and believer.

admiring the values and virtues of Wiccans in a general way is ok. but being a Wiccan and a Christian, or a Wiccan Christian.... that's not something the Gospels give as an option.

Francis

UBER-Christian
I'm just wondering... as a Christian wiccan, what Do you think of the passages the condem magick? I'm just wondering how you view them. :) Peace!

Mike182

Flaming Queer

One slant the Christian Wiccan could take is that there are numerous examples of magicians in the old and new testaments who work for God. The theological question becomes, where does that power come from? If you believe it to be of God, and specifically the Christian God, within that paradigm there is no problem.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
By the way, magic is spelled without a K, despite what you may have heard.

The K was introduced by Crowley to distinguish his magical tradition from others, which influenced most western magical traditions since his time. The K is historically valid, despite what you may have heard.