• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food Offerings

Should a meat offering be cut up for a Deity?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Please note that this is the Wiccan DIR. If you are not familiar with Wicca or similar faiths the following will probably seem silly to you. It is not a joke. I take my worship very seriously. I do welcome replies from all (even non-Wicca) as long as the reply is constructive.

So far I have only given a food offering during ritual once. I was thinking up a new (and important) ritual today though. A food offering seems perfect for it. More specifically, a good sized piece of meat will be offered. I came up with the darnedest question about making such an offering though.

Should one offer the meat in a whole chunk, such as you would serve it to a guest or should one cut it into pieces like you would for a small child?

I do my rituals outside and I leave my offerings after the ritual is complete. I got to thinking about how either metod could have its downfalls. Would a God or Goddess be expected to pick up a large hunk of meat and eat it like a savage or animal? Would the same God or Goddess appreciate or be insulted at one cutting it up for easy consumption? Yes, this is kind of more detail than most have probably ever thought into such a thing. Many of you know how serious I take my rituals though. Everything just has to feel perfect. Oh heck, I am going to put this to a poll, but PLEASE explain your answer in a post.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
First vote!! Oh yeah!!

Anyway I think either is fine as long as it makes sense to you. I'm sure they could cut it themselves if you didn't.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
How would you serve it to someone you've invited to your home?
Well I would serve it whole, but provide them with utensils. I don't really want to leave my flatware in the yard though. It's not that the Deities aren't worth a piece of flatware, but I would hate for one of my animals to cut themselves while "stealing" my offering the next morning. :(

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Well I would serve it whole, but provide them with utensils. I don't really want to leave my flatware in the yard though. It's not that the Deities aren't worth a piece of flatware, but I would hate for one of my animals to cut themselves while "stealing" my offering the next morning. :(

Do you think Gods need utensils?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Well no, but neither do we. I mean we could pick up a hunk of meat and tear into it with our teeth. I just don't know if that is what They prefer and I am so big on pleasing Them, especially in ritual.

What would please them more, getting everything right on the first try, or trying something out and making adjustments based on how it went and how you think they felt about it?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
What would please them more, getting everything right on the first try, or trying something out and making adjustments based on how it went and how you think they felt about it?
Hmmm...if I knew for sure what pleased Them (and especially Him) my life would revolve around it. :yes:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think you should cut it up. You know the animals are the ones who'll actually eat it, so think of them, too.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
That doesn't answer the question. :flirt:
That's because I don't know how to answer. :confused: You know how when you have someone over for dinner and you want to impress them? Everything just has to be perfect. That is how I feel around Them. If I felt like I did the wrong thing I would want to die. :sad4:

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
That's because I don't know how to answer. :confused: You know how when you have someone over for dinner and you want to impress them? Everything just has to be perfect. That is how I feel around Them. If I felt like I did the wrong thing I would want to die. :sad4:

Don't you think you're taking it a little too seriously if you say that if you don't get a ritual absolutely 100% right that you'd want to die?

Isn't ritual about enjoying being in the presence of your deities? And a celebration of your devotion to them? Not to mention the realization that you're human, and therefore bound to make mistakes?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Don't you think you're taking it a little too seriously if you say that if you don't get a ritual absolutely 100% right that you'd want to die?

Isn't ritual about enjoying being in the presence of your deities? And a celebration of your devotion to them? Not to mention the realization that you're human, and therefore bound to make mistakes?
True...

Well to me it is about pleasing Them and communicating with Them. I am leaning toward cutting it though.

Please note that this is the Wiccan DIR. If you are not familiar with Wicca or similar faiths the following will probably seem silly to you. It is not a joke. I take my worship very seriously. I do welcome replies from all (even non-Wicca) as long as the reply is constructive.

So far I have only given a food offering during ritual once. I was thinking up a new (and important) ritual today though. A food offering seems perfect for it. More specifically, a good sized piece of meat will be offered. I came up with the darnedest question about making such an offering though.

Should one offer the meat in a whole chunk, such as you would serve it to a guest or should one cut it into pieces like you would for a small child?

I do my rituals outside and I leave my offerings after the ritual is complete. I got to thinking about how either metod could have its downfalls. Would a God or Goddess be expected to pick up a large hunk of meat and eat it like a savage or animal? Would the same God or Goddess appreciate or be insulted at one cutting it up for easy consumption? Yes, this is kind of more detail than most have probably ever thought into such a thing. Many of you know how serious I take my rituals though. Everything just has to feel perfect. Oh heck, I am going to put this to a poll, but PLEASE explain your answer in a post.

Does it have to be meat?
How much meat are we talking?

I usually leave small amounts of bread or a drink of some kind or even birdseed that I know will be eaten quickly by squirrels or birds and not be left hanging around inviting unwanted vermin like rats or raccoons.

I personally would second guess leaving meat outside. You don't want to leave an open invitation to some animal that you would rather not have hanging around your house waiting for hand outs.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
True...

Well to me it is about pleasing Them and communicating with Them.
It more about the thought then how you do it. Do you think they would really care if we got one small part wrong? We are but humans. The are above that ^_^(for the most part).

Does it have to be meat?
This is just my opinion. No, it doesn't(always) have to be meat. I say, if you're doing it for a specific god or goddess, find out what they like what there fav. food and drink is and offer that to them. If it from what ever you are eating for the night then yeah I small amount is good, it doesn't have to be a whole lot ^_^
And yes I agree that if you are offering meat for the night cut it into small pieces, the god have a way of using animals to make sure the meat is used for something.

Xafwak

XFWK
I´m not Wiccan, but here´s my opinion about serving meat in general:

It should be cut in slices.I prefer them thin, but they should be the size that you could put one of them completely in your mouth (although they should be big enough that this would look ridiculous). I think it´s aesthetically more appealing than chopping it up or serving it whole.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I´m not Wiccan, but here´s my opinion about serving meat in general:

It should be cut in slices.I prefer them thin, but they should be the size that you could put one of them completely in your mouth (although they should be big enough that this would look ridiculous). I think it´s aesthetically more appealing than chopping it up or serving it whole.
You do realize that he is not talking about it in a way of serving it to another person? But as in a sacrifice to a god.

Xafwak

XFWK
You do realize that he is not talking about it in a way of serving it to another person? But as in a sacrifice to a god.

I do. That´s why I said it´s the most aesthetical way of serving meat IMO. And since nobody had brought up any other ideas than chopping it into a million pieces or serving it whole, I thought it was an idea worth putting forth.