• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food from where you live

exchemist

Veteran Member
One thing I used to have as a kid were Lancashire oven bottom muffins. Since moving away from the area I grew up in, I haven't been able to find them anywhere. The version sold in supermarkets is nothing like the real thing... I'd estimate a maximum of three people on this forum will know what I'm talking about.

On that note, supermarket Bakewell tart is nothing like what you get if you actually visit Bakewell.
Do these look authentic? https://hintofhelen.com/oven-bottom-muffins/

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Kangaroo burgers. I’m not even kidding

I have had shark and chips,
Smoked snake (species not disclosed)
Fugu (puffer fish)
Crocodile fillet.
And yes, kangaroo steak but never a kangaroo burger. I imagine roos would make tasty burgers

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have had shark and chips,
Smoked snake (species not disclosed)
Fugu (puffer fish)
Crocodile fillet.
And yes, kangaroo steak but never a kangaroo burger. I imagine roos would make tasty burgers
Shark is pretty good. Haven’t had Croc or Fugu.
Yeah a roo burger isn’t bad, honestly.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Timperley Rhubarb

17983.jpg
Love rhubarb. Easy to stew, and when you do it, perfect over ice cream. Or just on top of a bagel for breakfast. Also brilliant in a pie, either on its own or mixed with strawberries.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I wish there were something absolutely unique to Toronto, where I live, but we are the most multi-cultural city in the world, and I can buy anything in the shops here, from durians to dried moose nose.

However, want something great, try beef brisket sandwich (we have a great little spot about a mile from where I live called Black Camel that has been serving this since 2004). The briskets get a dry rub, then marinate for three days, get slow-cooked for 12 hours and then rest for 24 hours. Then just get that beauty on any kind of bun or bread you love, add a little chipotle mayo or what-have-you, and you are good to go.

Oh, and in Toronto, follow it up with a butter tart. Can't go wrong.

Erebus

The ones I used to have were a little darker in colour but that's probably just an aesthetic thing. Other than that, those are pretty spot on!

This line from the article is very accurate:

Oven bottom muffins are now available nationwide (I think!?) in supermarkets… but honestly, those aren’t real oven bottom muffins. The texture is all off, they’re basically a white roll marketed as an oven bottom.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The ones I used to have were a little darker in colour but that's probably just an aesthetic thing. Other than that, those are pretty spot on!

This line from the article is very accurate:
Interesting. I wonder if it is worth having a crack at making these. It doesn't look too involved a process, since the rising time is quite short, compared to bread-making at least. I've never tried my hand at anything with yeast but I suppose lockdown is as good a time as any to try.

Hmm, I'll think about it.

P.s. Re the link, I find there is something faintly suggestive about a hint of Helen's bottom muffin. Oo, er, missus. :D

Erebus

Interesting. I wonder if it is worth having a crack at making these. It doesn't look too involved a process, since the rising time is quite short, compared to bread-making at least. I've never tried my hand at anything with yeast but I suppose lockdown is as good a time as any to try.

Definitely worth a try!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Definitely worth a try!
One question: what does one do with them? Do you cut them in half and toast them, as you would a standard muffin and then butter them? Or do you just treat them like a bread roll?

P.S. I'm tempted to leave the sugar out of the recipe: can't really see what sugar is doing in bread, especially if I might want to eat them with something savoury.

Erebus

One question: what does one do with them? Do you cut them in half and toast them, as you would a standard muffin and then butter them? Or do you just treat them like a bread roll?

P.S. I'm tempted to leave the sugar out of the recipe: can't really see what sugar is doing in bread, especially if I might want to eat them with something savoury.

It's been a long time since I had one but as I recall I'd always have them cut in half and used to make a bacon sandwich with some mustard or brown sauce. I don't think I had them toasted but there's no reason you couldn't. Maybe try one toasted and one not toasted to see which you prefer?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What are some foods common to where you live that aren't common elsewhere? Include a recipe if you think it's possible for an outsider to make.
Here is one common to the southern US: grits https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/cheese-grits-recipe-1915972 note: if you cant find corn meal try corn flour or polenta...I dont know if it'll work since Ive never tried making it with either but it sounds like it might. Some people add sugar to grits and different types of meat.
Butter tarts.

I'm surprised that the US hasn't embraced them. They're wonderful.

BEST Canadian Butter Tarts - Little Sweet Baker

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Love rhubarb. Easy to stew, and when you do it, perfect over ice cream. Or just on top of a bagel for breakfast. Also brilliant in a pie, either on its own or mixed with strawberries.
If you are in a rush all that it takes to make some quick rhubarb sauce is a bowl, some cleaned and very coarsely chopped rhubarb, and sugar. Ooh, and a microwave oven. Add whatever else that you prefer, but those basics are all that is needed.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Any suggestions on what to do with duck eggs?

Earlier this week my neighbor gave me a couple. Twice I cooked them with extra care for breakfast. I started with my homemade hash browns made from scratch. Then I cooked the eggs by heating a nonstick pan with a little butter and EVOO and once hot broke an egg into it. After the bottom got cooked a put a little water in and covered to quickly steam baste the top. Both times the bottoms were perfectly done (I like the little bit of crispy whites that one can get with proper frying) and the yolks were not "killed". Runny enough but not raw. They were very good each time. In case he donates again does anyone have any suggestions?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them

Earlier this week my neighbor gave me a couple. Twice I cooked them with extra care for breakfast. I started with my homemade hash browns made from scratch. Then I cooked the eggs by heating a nonstick pan with a little butter and EVOO and once hot broke an egg into it. After the bottom got cooked a put a little water in and covered to quickly steam baste the top. Both times the bottoms were perfectly done (I like the little bit of crispy whites that one can get with proper frying) and the yolks were not "killed". Runny enough but not raw. They were very good each time. In case he donates again does anyone have any suggestions?
Are you a vegetarian and do you have allergies? Just asking in case I think of something

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Are you a vegetarian and do you have allergies? Just asking in case I think of something
No, and no. Well I have not been tested but I do think that I have an allergy to hops. Early on I found out that beer was not my friend. Though it is the perfect drink for me if I am the designated driver. If I can breathe, I can drive legally.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member

I break them into a frying pan an a medium to high heat and cover them with a lid.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I break them into a frying pan an a medium to high heat and cover them with a lid.
That was almost exactly what I did. In butter. And with my Oooohhh so delicious hash browns.

And normally I have eggs over easy with my hash browns along with either salsa or hot sauce of some sort. I kept it simple with only salt and pepper.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That was almost exactly what I did. In butter. And with my Oooohhh so delicious hash browns.

And normally I have eggs over easy with my hash browns along with either salsa or hot sauce of some sort. I kept it simple with only salt and pepper.

I used olive oil and no water, covered from the start of cooking, the trapped heat cooks the top to perfection by the time its ready to slide onto the plate. I cook all eggs the same way

It funny, where we live now i have not seen a duck egg for sale, ducks by the truck load, magret, confit and foie gras by the bucketful, there are 3 duck farms within spitting distance. But no duck eggs in the shops, i wonder what they do with them.

In the UK we had a two ducks, two geese and half a dozen chickens so always a plentiful supply of eggs, and with a couple of goats so we always needed a plentiful supply of sweaters ;-)