• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Delta Outbreak Responsible for Record Breaking Surge in Hospitalizations

Wandering Monk

Hospitalizations by age group have vastly exceeded the pandemic highs per 100k people in all age groups in Florida except in one group:

0-17 (previous high, 0.59, presently 0.94);
18-29 (previous high, 1.24, presently 3.43);
30-39 (previous high, 2.36, presently 6.60);
40-49 (previous high, 3.38, presently 8.32);
50-59 (previous high, 5.34, presently 10.47);
60-69 (previous high, 7.91, presently 9.99);
70 and over (previous high, 16.72, presently 12.88)

COVID Data Tracker

Last edited:

AlexanderG

And Governor DeSantis has done everything within his power to prevent people from mandating mask use in Florida. He's killing his own constituents to signal loyalty to Trumpism. Truly a death cult.

I think watching people in nursing homes dying from COVID was one thing, but flagrantly threatening the lives of people's children is probably going to go differently...

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think watching people in nursing homes dying from COVID was one thing, but flagrantly threatening the lives of people's children is probably going to go differently...

I'd like to think so, but honestly, I doubt it.

There seems to be just as many parents who are fighting masks being worn in the schools as are supportive of it. In my state, there's a mandate against mask mandates, and the school districts can't require the kids to wear masks.

Throughout Covid, I started homeschooling the middle child. The oldest did virtual. We were thinking of returning the oldest to in person, but that won't be happening now.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Politics uber alles. If Trump was in office and promoted masks and vaccine, he'd be saying and doing the exact opposite and promoting masks and getting the jab.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How fortunate Floridians are that their government
has banned businesses from requiring proof of vaccination.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you are OK with government telling businesses what to do? Welcome to the party!
Actually, I'm opposing excessive government
regulation of business. If I want more stringent
safety standards than they mandate, then I see
no reasonable basis to restrict it.
Regulation should be limited to what is useful.
Never should it be something that imposes danger.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hence the need for vaccine mandates. Useful I'm defining at preventing tens of thousands if not much more death.
I prefer a middle ground....let businesses require
vaccination. Anti-vaxers will see a benefit, &
some will comply out of convenience.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I prefer a middle ground....let businesses require
vaccination. Anti-vaxers will see a benefit, &
some will comply out of convenience.
So it seems to me that you could be arguing one of two general positions:
  1. Business, not government, should be behind the mandate because that will be more effective.
  2. Business, not government, should be behind the mandate irrespective of relative effectiveness.
If the first, it would be good to see evidence. If the second, you seem to be suggesting that the incremental cost in social strain, economic disruption, pain, and death is acceptable on principle, and it's hard for me to imagine you embracing such a position.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So it seems to me that you could be arguing one of two general positions:
  1. Business, not government, should be behind the mandate because that will be more effective.
  2. Business, not government, should be behind the mandate irrespective of relative effectiveness.
If the first, it would be good to see evidence. If the second, you seem to be suggesting that the incremental cost in social strain, economic disruption, pain, and death is acceptable on principle, and it's hard for me to imagine you embracing such a position.
If government tried to enforce vaccination against all
in the country (citizens, tourists, illegals) I'd expect
tremendous resistance. It would take a long time,
even if it were possible. And we could expect some
violent resistance.
But the fed could prevent the states from banning
vaccine proof being required by businesses. This
would (IMO) be effective enuf to hasten the arrival
of herd immunity. I have no evidence. Just opinion.

This is how I see things from a practical perspective.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Hey Hey. Just turned on the morning news in Florida. We set a new daily record for Covid cases. I wonder if there's a trophy.:(

Wandering Monk

Hey Hey. Just turned on the morning news in Florida. We set a new daily record for Covid cases. I wonder if there's a trophy.:(

Yes there is:

upload_2021-8-5_8-59-56.png

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If government tried to enforce vaccination against all
in the country (citizens, tourists, illegals) I'd expect
tremendous resistance. It would take a long time,
even if it were possible. And we could expect some
violent resistance.
But the fed could prevent the states from banning
vaccine proof being required by businesses. This
would (IMO) be effective enuf to hasten the arrival
of herd immunity. I have no evidence. Just opinion.

This is how I see things from a practical perspective.

This is not new. When the Supreme Court Ruled a Vaccine Could Be Mandatory has the history of the precedent.

There are also rules about mandatory vaccination for children who are going to attend public school.

Given how long it would take to have mandatory vaccinations along with all the bureaucracy to track and enforce this, I prefer dealing with those who refuse the jab with some consequences short of full bore government action.

Maybe higher health insurance premiums due to higher statistical costs, or exclusion of coverage for those who get Covid and have not been vaccinated? I'm open to suggestions.