• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida bans terms 'climate change', 'sustainability' & 'global warning'

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
DEP officials have been ordered not to use the term “climate change” or “global warming” in any official communications, emails, or reports, according to former DEP employees, consultants, volunteers and records obtained by the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting.
This unwritten policy went into effect after Gov. Rick Scott took office in 2011 and appointed Herschel Vinyard Jr. as the DEP’s director, according to former DEP employees. Gov. Scott, who won a second term in November, has repeatedly said he is not convinced that climate change is caused by human activity, despite scientific evidence to the contrary.
In Florida, officials ban term 'climate change' | Miami Herald Miami Herald

Can a state barely above sea level really afford to stick its head in the sand?
(Should this be posted this in the humor section)?

Slide

The 1st Rule.
Given the political environment of Florida, this is a curious thing. In any case, bells and whistles should go off any time a three-letter organization (3LO) says, "don't say..."

Slide

The 1st Rule.
This is just utterly surreal to me. As a non-American, it's hard for me to wrap my head around the sheer level of climate change denial in the USA.

There's a lot of debate over the science because many of those shouting the loudest about it are very politically biased one way or another.

Kirran

Premium Member
There's a lot of debate over the science because many of those shouting the loudest about it are very politically biased one way or another.

It's just very interesting to me.

Apart from UKIP, none of the UK's major parties would ever question climate change.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I read about Florida on another forum... It's ridiculous given the severity of the situation. It does sound like it should be a joke thread but unfortunately it's real. *Facepalm* (Is there no facepalm emoticon? WHY?)

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is just utterly surreal to me. As a non-American, it's hard for me to wrap my head around the sheer level of climate change denial in the USA.

I think the main thing to keep in mind when trying to understand climate change denial is who is funding it. See here, for instance, for an interesting article on that: http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/03/08/how-the-merchants-of-doubt-push-climate-denial/202792. I strongly suspect climate change would be a settled issue if it were not for folks like the Koch brothers funding individuals and organizations that sow doubt about it in impressionable minds.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
It's just very interesting to me.

Apart from UKIP, none of the UK's major parties would ever question climate change.

UKIP don't question climate change. What we do question is this "green obsession". It's been good for big business and land-owners, but for the poor and unemployed it has been a total failure.
Climate change has been put to us as this top priority issue and anyone who is sceptical about combating the green obsession has been met with hysteria for putting forth such proposals. The measures that have been implemented to deal with this issue (and it is an issue, of course) have damaged those at the bottom of society.
Tens of millions of people have been forced into fuel poverty and manufacturing and industry have been driven away as our competitors in China and the USA go for the cheap fossil fuels.
UKIP are presenting the economical argument, not the scientific case against climate change.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
In Florida, officials ban term 'climate change' | Miami Herald Miami Herald

Can a state barely above sea level really afford to stick its head in the sand?
(Should this be posted this in the humor section)?

Thank goodness a semblance of common sense. "Global warming", "climate change", blah....blah...blah. This is just another bogeyman hiding under the bed that mysteriously disappears when you cut the lights on. None of the climate catastrophes have been proven, nor are they provable, and it's only right to avoid junk science ideas in official state documents. If you want to believe there is a global warming monster in the closet then you're welcome to it, but try to get some sleep.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
UKIP don't question climate change. What we do question is this "green obsession". It's been good for big business and land-owners, but for the poor and unemployed it has been a total failure.
Climate change has been put to us as this top priority issue and anyone who is sceptical about combating the green obsession has been met with hysteria for putting forth such proposals. The measures that have been implemented to deal with this issue (and it is an issue, of course) have damaged those at the bottom of society.
Tens of millions of people have been forced into fuel poverty and manufacturing and industry have been driven away as our competitors in China and the USA go for the cheap fossil fuels.
UKIP are presenting the economical argument, not the scientific case against climate change.

So as long as it is more profitable or cheaper it does not matter if it causes climate change.
that is even less honest than climate deniers.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
So as long as it is more profitable or cheaper it does not matter if it causes climate change.
that is even less honest than climate deniers.

Well considering that whilst we're burdening those at the bottom with taxes wrought by this green obsession, India and China are currently constructing and planning a total of 800 coal-fired power stations.
Are you going to tell them off?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank goodness a semblance of common sense. "Global warming", "climate change", blah....blah...blah. This is just another bogeyman hiding under the bed that mysteriously disappears when you cut the lights on. None of the climate catastrophes have been proven, nor are they provable, and it's only right to avoid junk science ideas in official state documents. If you want to believe there is a global warming monster in the closet then you're welcome to it, but try to get some sleep.
Is this a Poe, or are you serious?
Are you familiar with the issue; with the evidence, and why scientists almost all believe in human-caused climate change?

None of the climate catastrophes have been proven
Neither has the germ theory of disease or the Copernican heliocentric theory. Science doesn't 'prove' things, it just amasses and analyses evidence.
The "climate catastrophes" are: Snowball Earth, Ordovician-Silurian, Late Devonian, Permian, End-Triassic, and End- Cretacious catastrophes. Are these what you're denying?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, they can still use the term "human-induced atmospheric modification" which is more precise and accurate anyway.

Pfft. As an American, I can't wrap my head around it.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Well considering that whilst we're burdening those at the bottom with taxes wrought by this green obsession, India and China are currently constructing and planning a total of 800 coal-fired power stations.
Are you going to tell them off?

So because China and others stoke the fires you want us to stoke ours as well.
Global warming will cost lives not just tax. The poor wont be burdened for long they will soon be dead.

dust1n

Zindīq
Yup, Rick Scott is a really lame politician. There were many reasons to leave Florida.

As far as climate change is concerned, don't worry, most of you will get to see immense changes of all sorts in the next fifty years.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
So because China and others stoke the fires you want us to stoke ours as well.
Global warming will cost lives not just tax. The poor wont be burdened for long they will soon be dead.

You have utterly failed to understand how the carbon taxes have pushed tens of millions of people into fuel poverty.
Through a renewable energy scheme pushed by the EU, we are giving manufacturing companies a bill cost for electricity that is 20% higher than it would be on the free market. That is why all of the aluminium smelters in the UK have shut down, why our steel production is shifting to India, and why the British cement industry is crumbling (if you pardon the pun).
This really is a question of choosing between the welfare of millions of people or how we can further prop up the green obsession.

Kirran

Premium Member

I'm going on articles like this - Ukip's energy and climate policies under the spotlight | Bob Ward | Environment | The Guardian

Where there#s actually skepticism for the science behind climate change exhibited.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Its like when I first heard that in US a lot of people questioned evolution on religious grounds.

Surreal is like the perfect word to describe it.