• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First verses Book of Mormon/Bible comparisons

LittleNipper

If you believe that jesus was the messiah then yes, you are twisting the books comprising the bble to fit your own beliefs.

Born to a Jewish girl, a virgin, in the town of Bethlehem. Rejected by his own people and sentenced to die for claiming to be GOD (Before Abraham, I AM), when there is no Biblical law against claiming to be GOD? Why is that? Can not GOD take care of such? HE wrote the book!

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
there is no Biblical law against claiming to be GOD? Why is that? Can not GOD take care of such? HE wrote the book!

EXO 20:7 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD
will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

EXO 24:16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The
entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he
blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death.

DEU 5:11 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD

Hint: Jesus was accused of blasphemy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would not interpret the Bible using your opinions. The very same goes for Joseph Smith. I believe that no one is saved trying to obey the Talmud.
Which stands in stark contrast to what the first believers in the Tanakh/Old Testament held to be true. Your interpretation is different from the original.

Following the LAW is rewarding in this life. One may live longer. The fact remains that CHRIST is the final sacrafice. CHRIST fulfilled the requirements of the LAW for those who will accept HIS remediation. Those that do not are under the full weight to fulfill the entire requirements of the LAW themselves. The book of Mormon seems to have no scriptural support to stand upon. It seems to have no historical evidence to stand upon.
Much of the Bible is lacking evidential support as well. IMO, it's mainly the passage of time that's made its factual claims seem a bit more reasonable.

I would not interpret the Bible using the Koran. Why exactly is that? Could it be that the Koran does not fit the tone, direction, message, etc., of the Old & New Testaments?
I don't see why that would stop you, since you already interpret the Tanakh using the New Testament despite their very different tones, directions and messages.

There is much more historic validity for the Koran than can be found for the book of Mormon...
Sure... there's plenty of evidence that Muhammad was a real person. The problem that the Quran, the Tanakh, the Gospels, the Epistles and the Book of Mormon all get into, though, is that there's no evidence that they came from God.

You criticize the Book of Mormons for what you see as its faults... fair enough by itself. But what you apparently fail to realize is that the scriptures you hold up as holy also have similar faults. You condemn the Mormons for things that you and most other mainstream Christians also do.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Most of the Earth's surface (70%) is covered with water. In some areas the ocean is 7 miles deep. This doesn't take into consideration any ground water.
Yup. And if you take all of it, and all of the ground water, and all the water in the atmosphere, it's not enough to cover the entire earth over the tops of the tallest mountains.
The earth is GOD's creation and would reflect HIS characteristics when HE created it. I cannot be held to the notions of godless men...
I don't know what that means, but if you want to be held to honesty, then don't say the evidence supports a flood. You may choose to believe it despite the overwhelming evidence against it, but admit it. Instead, you're just lying. Which, of course, doesn't do much for your credibility or your cause.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
GOD holds everything together. I believe GOD's feelings were being expressed to humanity as best as possible. I still feel that GOD simply allows satan to run amuck.
If men want to worship satan, GOD gives them satan... Such can never be a good thing.

Wow, that's one screwed up, evil, weird deity you got there. What religion did you say you are? I need to know so I can make a note never to join it. Thanks.

Humanistheart

Born to a Jewish girl, a virgin, in the town of Bethlehem. Rejected by his own people and sentenced to die for claiming to be GOD (Before Abraham, I AM), when there is no Biblical law against claiming to be GOD? Why is that? Can not GOD take care of such? HE wrote the book!

I think do not worship other gods covers that pretending to be god would be against god's law.

As for the rest, no messianic prophicy called for the messiah to be a virgin. No messianic prophicy called for the messiah to be rejected by his people, which would completely defeat the purpose of sending one. And no, 'god' did not write any book.
You just twist the bible to suite your own beliefs, rather than trying to understand it.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
*makes note to self never to convert to Christianity*

Good job on carrying out your great commission, Little Nipper.

LittleNipper

EXO 20:7 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD

EXO 24:16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The
entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he
blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death.

DEU 5:11 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD

Hint: Jesus was accused of blasphemy.

JESUS never cursed in the name of the LORD. And the Jews never proved JESUS was not GOD-----so just how did JESUS misuse the application? Again, it does seem that it is the LORD that judges in such cases and not priests. No fire from heaven? JESUS didn't drop dead?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
JESUS never cursed in the name of the LORD. And the Jews never proved JESUS was not GOD-----so just how did JESUS misuse the application? Again, it does seem that it is the LORD that judges in such cases and not priests. No fire from heaven? JESUS didn't drop dead?

I am GOD!!!! (Blasphemy)
No fire from heaven? Tumbleweed didn't drop dead?
Killed Jesus (Not GOD)

'nuff said

LittleNipper

I am GOD!!!! (Blasphemy)
No fire from heaven? Tumbleweed didn't drop dead?
Killed Jesus (Not GOD)

'nuff said

Such a statement is not Blasphemy, unless one can prove it to be untrue. In which case it becomes a lie. No one offered proof that JESUS was not GOD.
HE healed the sick.
HE made lame people walk.
HE stilled storms.
HE walked on water.
HE predicted future events.
HE knew what people were about and thinking.
HE created wine from water.
HE brought dead people back to life.
HE arose from the dead.
ONLY GOD CAN DO SUCH.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
HE healed the sick.
HE stilled storms.
HE walked on water.
HE arose from the dead.
ONLY GOD CAN DO SUCH.
... or a mortal person given such powers by God. Moses did some pretty remarkable things, didn't he?

Edit: however, this is probably getting a bit off-topic.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Such a statement is not Blasphemy, unless one can prove it to be untrue. In which case it becomes a lie. No one offered proof that JESUS was not GOD.
HE healed the sick.
HE stilled storms.
HE walked on water.
HE arose from the dead.
ONLY GOD CAN DO SUCH.

Where is your proof that these events occurred?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
HE healed the sick.
HE stilled storms.
HE walked on water.
HE arose from the dead.
ONLY GOD CAN DO SUCH.

He did? How do you know?

Humanistheart

HE healed the sick.
HE stilled storms.
HE walked on water.
HE arose from the dead.
ONLY GOD CAN DO SUCH.

In the bible he did, we have no evidence to suggest this occured in real life. And as already pointed out, all of your examples were done more or less the same by past prophits, and all examples were attributed to different dieties from other religions long before jesus the christ was dreamt up.

Also to note, jesus's predictions of future events never really panned out in the bible.

Does any of this actually relate back to the OP that the bible is more trustworthy than the BoM?

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Wow, I've been off here for sometime, reading this thread I understand why, pointless in it's totality.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Wow, I've been off here for sometime, reading this thread I understand why, pointless in it's totality.

And here I thought you just got tired of being shown how you were wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
GOD would not give such powers to someone not of a like mind.
In Job , ha-satan ("the accuser") is an angel submitted to God. In Job, ha-satan does not make evil, rather points out to God the evil inclinations and actions of humankind. In essence ha-satan has no power unless God gives him the authority to use those powers.
Is ha-satan. (Satan) of like mind as God?